Cat D Import Help (QLD)

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Cat D Import Help (QLD)

Post by BayanDundee » 15 Feb 2019, 9:07 am

I am in Qld and have just got my cat D licence seeing as it is likely that my cat H will not be approved at next renewal. Availability of Cat D firearms seems to be minimal, as I will probably only be allowed the 1 firearm, I wish to get something I am happy with first time around, which means having to import from the US.
Have contacted several dealers and they can't import what I want and can't supply me with a list of who they can import from so I can look at what is available. Looks like I am having to import as an individual.
Brownells US seem to be the only option available to me, has anyone else out there gone down this route to import a firearm, have my head around the State and Federal paperwork required (B709, Ag Permit) but am unsure of the import/ customs requirements.
Any help would be appreciated from someone who has done this, Have a dealer who will pickup the firearm at customs in Brisbane and process the paperwork and send to me, but there are many other things I am not sure on, such as Port of entry and Destination Port that seems to be a problem for US exporters, do I need an Australian International Import Certificate, along with how do I install the dealers name on the documents so he can collect when it reaches Brisbane. I'm sure there are other things I have missed or am not aware of.
BayanDundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Cat D Import Help (QLD)

Post by Download » 17 Feb 2019, 2:21 pm

What are you trying to import? Many dealers have a wide range of Cat D firearms for sale. Expect to add $2k+ to the cost of a firearm importing it yourself.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2019, 2:28 pm

BayanDundee wrote:I am in Qld and have just got my cat D licence seeing as it is likely that my cat H will not be approved at next renewal. Availability of Cat D firearms seems to be minimal, as I will probably only be allowed the 1 firearm, I wish to get something I am happy with first time around, which means having to import from the US.
Have contacted several dealers and they can't import what I want and can't supply me with a list of who they can import from so I can look at what is available. Looks like I am having to import as an individual.
Brownells US seem to be the only option available to me, has anyone else out there gone down this route to import a firearm, have my head around the State and Federal paperwork required (B709, Ag Permit) but am unsure of the import/ customs requirements.
Any help would be appreciated from someone who has done this, Have a dealer who will pickup the firearm at customs in Brisbane and process the paperwork and send to me, but there are many other things I am not sure on, such as Port of entry and Destination Port that seems to be a problem for US exporters, do I need an Australian International Import Certificate, along with how do I install the dealers name on the documents so he can collect when it reaches Brisbane. I'm sure there are other things I have missed or am not aware of.

I imported two rifles last year, as mentioned, add $2K to the purchase price.
I don't think CatD makes it any more difficult as that will be stated in the B709. Apply for the B709. If it gets knocked back you aren't importing it. If it's approved then I can't see any problem.
From the US you will need to use a broker with an export licence, and pay the flat US$250 export fee. When it arrives here you also pay the GST and whatever your dealer charges you to go to Customs and collect it for you. You put the dealers details on the B709 application.

And allow some months before you see it, mine took five months.
Last edited by bladeracer on 17 Feb 2019, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 17 Feb 2019, 2:28 pm

What exactly is the rifle you want?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 17 Feb 2019, 4:52 pm

BayanDundee wrote:I am in Qld and have just got my cat D licence seeing as it is likely that my cat H will not be approved at next renewal. Availability of Cat D firearms seems to be minimal, as I will probably only be allowed the 1 firearm.

Since you mentioned Cat H I take it you're a primary producer

Primary production

Additional requirements for Category D

These types of licences are restricted to one (1) Category D licence per property and a maximum of two (2) Category D weapons.

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/licenceApplication/licences/firearms/primary.htm
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by BayanDundee » 18 Feb 2019, 12:28 am

bladeracer wrote:What exactly is the rifle you want?

just a basic AR with freefloat hangaurd and good components, barrel twist needs to be right to handle heavier bullets and everything as corrosion resistant as possible for up here in the Wet Tropics,
BayanDundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by BayanDundee » 18 Feb 2019, 12:31 am

Baronvonrort wrote:
BayanDundee wrote:I am in Qld and have just got my cat D licence seeing as it is likely that my cat H will not be approved at next renewal. Availability of Cat D firearms seems to be minimal, as I will probably only be allowed the 1 firearm.

Since you mentioned Cat H I take it you're a primary producer

Primary production

Additional requirements for Category D

These types of licences are restricted to one (1) Category D licence per property and a maximum of two (2) Category D weapons.

https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/licenceApplication/licences/firearms/primary.htm

Manager/Ranger on a corporation owned property, have had my own place here for 28 years, very remote
BayanDundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Download » 18 Feb 2019, 1:08 am

BayanDundee wrote:
bladeracer wrote:What exactly is the rifle you want?

just a basic AR with freefloat hangaurd and good components, barrel twist needs to be right to handle heavier bullets and everything as corrosion resistant as possible for up here in the Wet Tropics,

Victorian Armoury has a few. Usedguns.com.au has a range of brand new AR15s.

It's going to take forever to go through the import process.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 18 Feb 2019, 5:26 am

BayanDundee,

I have a mate who did this about 5 years ago; bought a Matrix Aero AR-10 .308, and had it imported into QLD for Cat D work.
Rifle itself was pretty sweet, and he was very happy with it. Sadly, the Cat D work that justified it dried up, and so it had to be sold.

The import was done through a gunsmith/dealer down South who set the weapon up with a red-dot sight, (and also something about changing the gas block), but as others have said, it takes forever to get the rifle through customs.
Also, for this rifle, dont expect any change out of ~$6,000 - $7,000, by the time you eventually have it in your hands.

http://www.matrixaero.com/

If you are still interested, I'll ask him the details of the dealer, and PM you.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by BayanDundee » 18 Feb 2019, 7:17 am

Rod_outbak wrote:BayanDundee,

I have a mate who did this about 5 years ago; bought a Matrix Aero AR-10 .308, and had it imported into QLD for Cat D work.
Rifle itself was pretty sweet, and he was very happy with it. Sadly, the Cat D work that justified it dried up, and so it had to be sold.

The import was done through a gunsmith/dealer down South who set the weapon up with a red-dot sight, (and also something about changing the gas block), but as others have said, it takes forever to get the rifle through customs.
Also, for this rifle, dont expect any change out of ~$6,000 - $7,000, by the time you eventually have it in your hands.

http://www.matrixaero.com/

If you are still interested, I'll ask him the details of the dealer, and PM you.

That would be great thanks, have gone through everyone I can think of in Qld and am starting to look out of state.
BayanDundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by BayanDundee » 18 Feb 2019, 7:25 am

bladeracer wrote:
BayanDundee wrote:I am in Qld and have just got my cat D licence seeing as it is likely that my cat H will not be approved at next renewal. Availability of Cat D firearms seems to be minimal, as I will probably only be allowed the 1 firearm, I wish to get something I am happy with first time around, which means having to import from the US.

I imported two rifles last year, as mentioned, add $2K to the purchase price.
I don't think CatD makes it any more difficult as that will be stated in the B709. Apply for the B709. If it gets knocked back you aren't importing it. If it's approved then I can't see any problem.
From the US you will need to use a broker with an export licence, and pay the flat US$250 export fee. When it arrives here you also pay the GST and whatever your dealer charges you to go to Customs and collect it for you. You put the dealers details on the B709 application.

And allow some months before you see it, mine took five months.

A bit extra for Cat D, need to apply for an AG Permit from the Federal Govt, same process as applying for Cat D, just because the State allowed you cat D, doesn't mean the Federal will, have to convince them of need all over again, may also be a requirement for an International Import Certificate from Dept Defense, but not sure on that yet, time doesn't matter, Weapons Licencing took 11 months to process, Federal is expected to take another 6+ months
BayanDundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2019, 4:10 pm

BayanDundee wrote:A bit extra for Cat D, need to apply for an AG Permit from the Federal Govt, same process as applying for Cat D, just because the State allowed you cat D, doesn't mean the Federal will, have to convince them of need all over again, may also be a requirement for an International Import Certificate from Dept Defense, but not sure on that yet, time doesn't matter, Weapons Licencing took 11 months to process, Federal is expected to take another 6+ months

Yes, but you would need the AG permit before you lodge a B709 application. Don't know about the DoD import, that could apply to CatD I guess.
I really would just buy one locally, especially for an AR platform, you can build it however you want it.
Would be cheaper and you'd have it much quicker.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BayanDundee » 18 Feb 2019, 5:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:
BayanDundee wrote:A bit extra for Cat D, need to apply for an AG Permit from the Federal Govt, same process as applying for Cat D, just because the State allowed you cat D, doesn't mean the Federal will, have to convince them of need all over again, may also be a requirement for an International Import Certificate from Dept Defense, but not sure on that yet, time doesn't matter, Weapons Licencing took 11 months to process, Federal is expected to take another 6+ months

Yes, but you would need the AG permit before you lodge a B709 application. Don't know about the DoD import, that could apply to CatD I guess.
I really would just buy one locally, especially for an AR platform, you can build it however you want it.
Would be cheaper and you'd have it much quicker.

did think of that until I looked into it further, Import problem would still remain with regards to parts, would need an Ag Permit again and maybe an IIC each time I wanted a part, triggers, barrels, bolts, magazines, handgaurds are all controlled. If I had to import a replacement bolt it would cost 250 US$ for export permit, parts would end up in Brisbane, 2000 km away and I would then have to pay a dealer to collect, process and ship to me. Just thinking that I might be better off trying to get exactly what I want first go, pay the 250 once and be happy with what I have as it will be the one and only time I will have to do it.
Can only hope the next round of Trumps' ITAR improvements go through and things get a little easier on the US export side anyway, Australia will always be a bitch and won't get easier
BayanDundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Feb 2019, 5:45 pm

BayanDundee wrote:did think of that until I looked into it further, Import problem would still remain with regards to parts, would need an Ag Permit again and maybe an IIC each time I wanted a part, triggers, barrels, bolts, magazines, handgaurds are all controlled. If I had to import a replacement bolt it would cost 250 US$ for export permit, parts would end up in Brisbane, 2000 km away and I would then have to pay a dealer to collect, process and ship to me. Just thinking that I might be better off trying to get exactly what I want first go, pay the 250 once and be happy with what I have as it will be the one and only time I will have to do it.
Can only hope the next round of Trumps' ITAR improvements go through and things get a little easier on the US export side anyway, Australia will always be a bitch and won't get easier

Handguards shouldn't be prohibited, folding AR15 collapsible stocks aren't - I have several of them on my rifles. Brownells.com.au should be able to get you most things, the export permits only apply if you import them yourself. 30rd magazines aren't prohibited either, if you have a CatD licence. 10rd AR mags (as used in some Rugers) are unrestricted.

The US$250 export fee is only a tiny part of the cost, the fees charged by the US exporter (that's why they paid for an export licence), on top of the shipping charges are what kills it. I was interested in a US$900 rifle, but by the time I had it here it would be over A$3K, and still be worth maybe $1K in our market if I ever wanted to sell it. I ended up buying two of them out of South Africa for less than A$2K in my hands. I would suggest you investigate places other than the US if you are determined not buy locally, NZ or South Africa for a start. SA has quite a large market for these sorts of firearms.
For example in SA, a brand new semi-auto flat-top M4 is around A$2K, secondhand would be cheaper. Export fee and shipping would be about A$1K, plus A$300 GST when it arrives, plus whatever the dealer charges you to collect it and send it on to your dealer.

Agreed about ITAR, I have a list I've been compiling since April 2017 (when it came in) of parts I need out of the US :-)
Attachments
SA M4.JPG
SA M4.JPG (50.74 KiB) Viewed 4795 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 18 Feb 2019, 6:53 pm

Gday Bayan
Not sure which part of the wet tropics ya in but spring loaded in mareeba might be worth a try. Not sure how their stock is atm but they're a bloody helpful mob :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 19 Feb 2019, 2:11 am

Just to give you an update on the ITAR change in the USA, the final rules are on paper and will be official when published in the Federal Register and that is expected within 1-3 weeks.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by BayanDundee » 19 Feb 2019, 7:21 am

bladeracer wrote:
BayanDundee wrote:did think of that until I looked into it further, Import problem would still remain with regards to parts, would need an Ag Permit again and maybe an IIC each time I wanted a part, triggers, barrels, bolts, magazines, handgaurds are all controlled. If I had to import a replacement bolt it would cost 250 US$ for export permit, parts would end up in Brisbane, 2000 km away and I would then have to pay a dealer to collect, process and ship to me. Just thinking that I might be better off trying to get exactly what I want first go, pay the 250 once and be happy with what I have as it will be the one and only time I will have to do it.

Handguards shouldn't be prohibited, folding AR15 collapsible stocks aren't - I have several of them on my rifles. Brownells.com.au should be able to get you most things, the export permits only apply if you import them yourself. 30rd magazines aren't prohibited either, if you have a CatD licence. 10rd AR mags (as used in some Rugers) are unrestricted.

The US$250 export fee is only a tiny part of the cost, the fees charged by the US exporter (that's why they paid for an export licence), on top of the shipping charges are what kills it. I was interested in a US$900 rifle, but by the time I had it here it would be over A$3K, and still be worth maybe $1K in our market if I ever wanted to sell it. I ended up buying two of them out of South Africa for less than A$2K in my hands. I would suggest you investigate places other than the US if you are determined not buy locally, NZ or South Africa for a start. SA has quite a large market for these sorts of firearms.
For example in SA, a brand new semi-auto flat-top M4 is around A$2K, secondhand would be cheaper. Export fee and shipping would be about A$1K, plus A$300 GST when it arrives, plus whatever the dealer charges you to collect it and send it on to your dealer.

Agreed about ITAR, I have a list I've been compiling since April 2017 (when it came in) of parts I need out of the US :-)

where did the rifle attachment come from?, have looked at NZ, definitely a lot more there and a simpler way to get it into Aust,, will start looking further afield it I can't organise from Aust. The only ones I have found listed down south have been from Ruger, any ideas on who the main cat D supplier is down that way?
When I was working on the idea of getting something local and building it up, freefloat hangaurd systems from Optics Planet in the us came up as an ITAR restricted product that they could not ship, I think probably because of the "Military" nature under ITAR. I assume if local gunshops won't import the rifle, than they won't be wanting to import parts as well, so would be on my own again.
Have been on a forum in the US, the only one available here that is close to being standard with the least proprietary changes is the S&W MP sport, the catch is that I want to shoot 69/77 Gr bullets and the twist rate in the S&W means that bullets are likely to keyhole
Also have a list here, mostly handgun stuff, can only hope restrictions ease and more US dealers start to export
BayanDundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 19 Feb 2019, 10:13 am

BayanDundee,

I sent you a personal message with some info that might help.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Feb 2019, 5:58 pm

BayanDundee wrote:[ where did the rifle attachment come from?, have looked at NZ, definitely a lot more there and a simpler way to get it into Aust,, will start looking further afield it I can't organise from Aust. The only ones I have found listed down south have been from Ruger, any ideas on who the main cat D supplier is down that way?
When I was working on the idea of getting something local and building it up, freefloat hangaurd systems from Optics Planet in the us came up as an ITAR restricted product that they could not ship, I think probably because of the "Military" nature under ITAR. I assume if local gunshops won't import the rifle, than they won't be wanting to import parts as well, so would be on my own again.
Have been on a forum in the US, the only one available here that is close to being standard with the least proprietary changes is the S&W MP sport, the catch is that I want to shoot 69/77 Gr bullets and the twist rate in the S&W means that bullets are likely to keyhole
Also have a list here, mostly handgun stuff, can only hope restrictions ease and more US dealers start to export

What rifle attachment are you referring to? Yes, getting stuff out of the US is complicated due to ITAR, try other countries. Israel do FAB gear but I haven't tried their stuff.
My AR parts have been bought locally, or from overseas via Ebay and Brownells.com.au. Brownells already have import licencing so as long as you explain that what you're buying is legal they should be able to get it for you. They're in ACT so I didn't think they'd be able to get me folding stock adapters but it wasn't a problem at all.
Any local barrel manufacturer should be able to make you an AR barrel in whatever twist and profile you prefer. According to the website the M&P is a 9"-twist barrel which should be fine for the 69's, the 77's might be a problem. According to this test they worked fine though, the best of the bullet weights they tested.
https://www.kommandoblog.com/2018/01/03/the-smith-wesson-mp-sport-ii/
Attachments
20181015_155012b.jpg
20181015_155012b.jpg (333.33 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BayanDundee » 20 Feb 2019, 10:06 am

thanks for the link to the S&W, they did seem to shoot alright, granted it was only out to 100 yards, but I don't expect to shoot any further than that really, most info I came across said I needed 1:8 minimum for 77gr.
I have bought some small stuff from Brownells in Aust, but when I went to by a barrel for a Glock, even though they had them from the same company and just not the right length, they shunted me to the US to get it, Brownells in the US was going to charge $250 for export as it was a major part, ended up getting it out of the US from someone else and haven't used the Aust side since then, have been dismissing all 1:9 barreled models, may need to have a second look.
The link was a picture of a rifle, price looked like it was in Rand?
BayanDundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Feb 2019, 1:33 pm

BayanDundee wrote:thanks for the link to the S&W, they did seem to shoot alright, granted it was only out to 100 yards, but I don't expect to shoot any further than that really, most info I came across said I needed 1:8 minimum for 77gr.
I have bought some small stuff from Brownells in Aust, but when I went to by a barrel for a Glock, even though they had them from the same company and just not the right length, they shunted me to the US to get it, Brownells in the US was going to charge $250 for export as it was a major part, ended up getting it out of the US from someone else and haven't used the Aust side since then, have been dismissing all 1:9 barreled models, may need to have a second look.
The link was a picture of a rifle, price looked like it was in Rand?

Yes, South African Rands. Divide by ten for rough Aussie dollars.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws