Cat D Import Help (QLD)

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Cat D Import Help (QLD)

Post by bladeracer » 19 Feb 2019, 5:58 pm

BayanDundee wrote:[ where did the rifle attachment come from?, have looked at NZ, definitely a lot more there and a simpler way to get it into Aust,, will start looking further afield it I can't organise from Aust. The only ones I have found listed down south have been from Ruger, any ideas on who the main cat D supplier is down that way?
When I was working on the idea of getting something local and building it up, freefloat hangaurd systems from Optics Planet in the us came up as an ITAR restricted product that they could not ship, I think probably because of the "Military" nature under ITAR. I assume if local gunshops won't import the rifle, than they won't be wanting to import parts as well, so would be on my own again.
Have been on a forum in the US, the only one available here that is close to being standard with the least proprietary changes is the S&W MP sport, the catch is that I want to shoot 69/77 Gr bullets and the twist rate in the S&W means that bullets are likely to keyhole
Also have a list here, mostly handgun stuff, can only hope restrictions ease and more US dealers start to export

What rifle attachment are you referring to? Yes, getting stuff out of the US is complicated due to ITAR, try other countries. Israel do FAB gear but I haven't tried their stuff.
My AR parts have been bought locally, or from overseas via Ebay and Brownells.com.au. Brownells already have import licencing so as long as you explain that what you're buying is legal they should be able to get it for you. They're in ACT so I didn't think they'd be able to get me folding stock adapters but it wasn't a problem at all.
Any local barrel manufacturer should be able to make you an AR barrel in whatever twist and profile you prefer. According to the website the M&P is a 9"-twist barrel which should be fine for the 69's, the 77's might be a problem. According to this test they worked fine though, the best of the bullet weights they tested.
https://www.kommandoblog.com/2018/01/03/the-smith-wesson-mp-sport-ii/
Attachments
20181015_155012b.jpg
20181015_155012b.jpg (333.33 KiB) Viewed 3895 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BayanDundee » 20 Feb 2019, 10:06 am

thanks for the link to the S&W, they did seem to shoot alright, granted it was only out to 100 yards, but I don't expect to shoot any further than that really, most info I came across said I needed 1:8 minimum for 77gr.
I have bought some small stuff from Brownells in Aust, but when I went to by a barrel for a Glock, even though they had them from the same company and just not the right length, they shunted me to the US to get it, Brownells in the US was going to charge $250 for export as it was a major part, ended up getting it out of the US from someone else and haven't used the Aust side since then, have been dismissing all 1:9 barreled models, may need to have a second look.
The link was a picture of a rifle, price looked like it was in Rand?
BayanDundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Feb 2019, 1:33 pm

BayanDundee wrote:thanks for the link to the S&W, they did seem to shoot alright, granted it was only out to 100 yards, but I don't expect to shoot any further than that really, most info I came across said I needed 1:8 minimum for 77gr.
I have bought some small stuff from Brownells in Aust, but when I went to by a barrel for a Glock, even though they had them from the same company and just not the right length, they shunted me to the US to get it, Brownells in the US was going to charge $250 for export as it was a major part, ended up getting it out of the US from someone else and haven't used the Aust side since then, have been dismissing all 1:9 barreled models, may need to have a second look.
The link was a picture of a rifle, price looked like it was in Rand?

Yes, South African Rands. Divide by ten for rough Aussie dollars.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws