Airsoft laws - QLD members.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Airsoft laws - QLD members.

Post by trekin » 19 Feb 2019, 1:22 pm

Could any QLD members point me in the direction of the relevant legislation mentioned here https://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/ ... irsoft.htm on the QPS webpage that bans lawful prossession of airsoft toys.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Airsoft laws - QLD members.

Post by Angel » 19 Feb 2019, 1:44 pm

A car R airsoft gun... Roflmfao
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 19 Feb 2019, 1:44 pm

Can't help you with that one, Trev.
The word "airsoft" does not appear anywhere in the Act, the Regulations, or the Categories Regulations.
Perhaps there is no legislation to that effect; just a case of "that's the way we want it", and they're relying on the customs legislation as their justification?
Have you sought an answer, in writing, from WLB as to what they are referencing their prohibition on?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Archie » 19 Feb 2019, 2:58 pm

Firstly, Customs says you can't import them, so that's an obvious problem wherever you are in the country. But imagine for a moment someone manufactured them here instead....

So I'm going to make a guess about the QLD law here, and its only a guess - and it's based on me drawing on some NSW law and just some general thoughts regarding what QLD police have listed one their webpage. If anyone actually knows the answer for QLD, that would be a much better answer. But my best guess is, they aren't banned specifically, rather they are banned by omission:

- As far as the firearms acts are concerned, airsoft is a firearm. Now that seems silly, but for the moment just accept it that its a fact, and go to the next step.
- To own a firearm you must be 1/ licenced and 2/ have a permit to acquire, and that permit requires you to state a "genuine reason"
- So, what's your genuine reason for an airsoft? You only have a limited number of categories. Not ideal for vertebrate pest extermination. Probably not going to get it through as a primary producer.... can't take it hunting. All you're left with is target shooting.
- Target shooting only counts for shooting on approved ranges
- If there aren't any approved ranges that allow Airsoft.... whats your reason?

See what I mean? Even if you could import it, if its a firearm you need a reason, and at the moment there isn't any reason which actually fits. I'm going to copy and paste the section from Wikipedia regarding Tasmania, which maybe states it more clearly:

It has previously been established that an airsoft gun would be categorized as an air rifle or air pistol for which a Category A (air rifle) or Category H (air pistol) firearms licence would be required. However, the Firearms Act does not provide for an appropriate "genuine reason" to possess a firearm for airsoft activities; therefore, an airsoft gun would not be able to be registered in Tasmania, as the applicant could not provide a satisfactory reason for wanting to own and possess the firearm. In short, the playing of the sport of airsoft and the possession of airsoft guns in Tasmania is currently banned, and that position will most likely not change in the near future.[8]
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 19 Feb 2019, 2:59 pm

If airsoft guns is another name for the gel blasters i doubt you'll find any legislation about them as they are classed as toys up here. i assume until they ban or restrict them you won't find much govt info on them.
My 15 year old nephew bought 2 a couple of weeks ago online from a local shop & my brother-in-law and i went into the store and got a couple last week so we could have shootouts with him. They're bloody great fun, we ran around the farm last weekend like a pack of fools shooting the s**t out of each other.
As long as you wear some sort of eye protection they're not dangerous at all, they can sting though :lol:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 19 Feb 2019, 5:57 pm

This is the part i find particularly fvckin amusing

Should the Airsoft firearm replicate a military style assault rifle (Category D) then the Airsoft weapon will also be classified as a Category D weapon.

Similarly should the Airsoft firearm replicate a machine gun or sub-machine gun (Category R) then the Airsoft firearm will also be classified as a Category R weapon.

So if I understand English, the Queensland Police Service considers a toy,the same as a machine gun.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Feb 2019, 6:01 pm

Archie wrote:Firstly, Customs says you can't import them, so that's an obvious problem wherever you are in the country. But imagine for a moment someone manufactured them here instead....

So I'm going to make a guess about the QLD law here, and its only a guess - and it's based on me drawing on some NSW law and just some general thoughts regarding what QLD police have listed one their webpage. If anyone actually knows the answer for QLD, that would be a much better answer. But my best guess is, they aren't banned specifically, rather they are banned by omission:

- As far as the firearms acts are concerned, airsoft is a firearm. Now that seems silly, but for the moment just accept it that its a fact, and go to the next step.
- To own a firearm you must be 1/ licenced and 2/ have a permit to acquire, and that permit requires you to state a "genuine reason"
- So, what's your genuine reason for an airsoft? You only have a limited number of categories. Not ideal for vertebrate pest extermination. Probably not going to get it through as a primary producer.... can't take it hunting. All you're left with is target shooting.
- Target shooting only counts for shooting on approved ranges
- If there aren't any approved ranges that allow Airsoft.... whats your reason?

See what I mean? Even if you could import it, if its a firearm you need a reason, and at the moment there isn't any reason which actually fits. I'm going to copy and paste the section from Wikipedia regarding Tasmania, which maybe states it more clearly:

It has previously been established that an airsoft gun would be categorized as an air rifle or air pistol for which a Category A (air rifle) or Category H (air pistol) firearms licence would be required. However, the Firearms Act does not provide for an appropriate "genuine reason" to possess a firearm for airsoft activities; therefore, an airsoft gun would not be able to be registered in Tasmania, as the applicant could not provide a satisfactory reason for wanting to own and possess the firearm. In short, the playing of the sport of airsoft and the possession of airsoft guns in Tasmania is currently banned, and that position will most likely not change in the near future.[8]

If Airsoft is classed as a firearm then we should be able to own them on Collector's Licences?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 19 Feb 2019, 6:55 pm

Collectors are supposed to be able to demonstrate that the collection has a genuine historical, thematic or financial value... I guess you could give it a try. Don’t rate your chances though.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by davidbrown6607 » 07 May 2019, 11:23 pm

If one can own a paintball marker legally why can't one buy Airsoft for the same purpose?
davidbrown6607
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by flutch » 07 May 2019, 11:43 pm

utterly retarded that an inclusive and highly competitive and SAFE sport is being ignored for the sake of semantics, this sport would be my every weekend that I am not out hunting. the "appearance laws" drastically need changing, and all those in favour of airsoft need to stop taking no as an answer, I would happily petition to the Nth degree parliamentary members as well as take time out to be a thorn in the side (protest) to those same people. there is no reason whatsoever that this sport should not be allowed all whilst football and all other sports with a higher incidence of injury are glorified and supported with state and federal funds being funnelled into them constantly.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 May 2019, 3:25 am

davidbrown6607 wrote:If one can own a paintball marker legally why can't one buy Airsoft for the same purpose?

A paintball marker can only be legally owned based on paintball competition. As there is no Airsoft competition what would your genuine reason be?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cryptic » 08 May 2019, 5:49 am

In talking about prescribed ranges and there not being one just thought would mention there is now a gel blaster range in QLD. If they could get get a review on their gel blaster setup and safety it might help pave way for airsoft. Tank ride in Tambourine Mtn is where that is if interested.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by dillDOZZER96 » 23 Jan 2020, 8:38 pm

​Airsoft weapons, under current legislation, irrespective of muzzle velocity, cannot be lawfully possessed in Queensland. ... There are currently no approved ranges conducting sports or target shooting allowing Airsoft firearms within Queensland. Furthermore, these firearms cannot be possessed for recreational shooting.Jan 8, 2019

That is the wording straight from qld police
dillDOZZER96
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws