Anti-NFA Petition

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Anti-NFA Petition

Post by bladeracer » 20 Feb 2019, 7:02 pm

Attachments
Anti-NFA petition.JPG
Anti-NFA petition.JPG (118.7 KiB) Viewed 2483 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Anti-NFA Petition

Post by Download » 20 Feb 2019, 9:24 pm

Poorly written and far too expansive that it has no chance of ever passing.

It would have been smarter instead of calling for a blanket repealing of our gun laws to suggest Cat C firearms should be legalised for sport shooters, or to suggest .22lr semi-auto rifles should be in Cat A or B, or to suggest that because pump-action shotguns and lever action shotguns are basically the same they should be both be Cat A or B, or that the NFA is dead and each state should make their own gun laws without respect to it because only a few states have complied with the lever-action shotgun reclassification among a myriad of other non-compliances, or that self-defence should be a valid reason to own a firearm, or that registration should be removed for Cat A and B guns because that's (basically) what they do in New Zealand, or that the handgun restrictions should be removed, or that guns should be allowed to be used for any legal reason rather than what it says on your PTA, or that Cat D should be allowed under the same conditions we currently allow Cat H because that's (basically) what they do in New Zealand. Suggest one or two of these at a time, prioritising the ones that get back the largest range of firearms the fastest.

(large) Baby steps, not "lets get rid of all gun licensing and be like the US" as much as I would prefer it. You have to be realistic. This is just going to be throw in the nearest bin.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 20 Feb 2019, 10:06 pm

Haha if we told them that pumps and levers were basically the same they would say thanks for admiting that and ban levers ......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JSS » 21 Feb 2019, 6:36 am

I have to agree with download, i was just shaking my head reading it. I won't be putting my name to this one.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 21 Feb 2019, 9:32 am

I don't reckon it is about whether or not the petition succeeds or is passed. ..it's about showing the poliscum our numbers!! :thumbsup: :drinks:

deye243 wrote:Haha if we told them that pumps and levers were basically the same they would say thanks for admiting that and ban levers ......

Spot on!!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Feb 2019, 9:41 am

Or, just to be a slightly paranoid devil's advocate, perhaps it could even be a false-flag ploy by the antis who insist that we are constantly trying to water down the laws.
We all know what sneaky, lying vegan panic merchants they are.
If it is a genuine attempt by a shooter/s, they are woefully naive.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JSS » 21 Feb 2019, 10:19 am

Daddybang wrote:I don't reckon it is about whether or not the petition succeeds or is passed. ..it's about showing the poliscum our numbers!! :thumbsup: :drinks:

Showing numbers is a good thing i agree completely, BUT showing numbers in that we are a group of responsible rational people who should be taken seriously. Not that we have numbers of people who will just back anything gun related and think "guns are good, more guns for everyone!" This guy is wanting us to have similar laws to the U.S..........Given the choice between our system and theirs i'll take ours any day of the week even if it means i can't have some cool toys i'd like.
Some of our gun laws are retarded, but i like the fact that we have to "jump through hoops" to get a licence because it stops a lot of f@#kwits and scumbags from getting guns. But the author of the petition seems to think that's a bad idea too.

I don't just put my name to anything so like i said, i'll be steering clear of this one. :D
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 21 Feb 2019, 10:52 am

It's not even "showing the numbers"

IIRC, petitions to Parliament are not valid unless personally signed, something we went through when trying to amass signatures for a petition when the ANZAC range at Malabar was shut down by the Govt.. Plus you have to have a certain number of signatures although I don't remember now how many that was.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 21 Feb 2019, 10:57 am

JSS wrote:Some of our gun laws are retarded, but i like the fact that we have to "jump through hoops" to get a licence because it stops a lot of f@#kwits and scumbags from getting guns. But the author of the petition seems to think that's a bad idea too.

Agreed. One look at any number of "gun accident" youtube vids is enough to convince me that I'm very glad the shooter next to me at a range has had compulsory training and has jumped through the licensing hoops you mention .

Which doesn't mean I wouldn't love it to be like NZ & Canada and be able to compete in 3-gun and IPSC Rifle as well as IPSC handgun which I do now (particularly the new Pistol Carbine Calibre division looks awesome!) but lt's never going to happen with such a miniscule voting bloc as we are (5% of the adult population being licensed according to SSAA). Along with 22 years of concerted demonisation. We can never go back to the national mindset pre 1996 where most people didn't have much of an opinion if any about guns.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southeast varmiter » 22 Feb 2019, 9:30 pm

First of all NFA is not legally binding. So this is moot.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws