Transporting ammunition home without a gun present

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Transporting ammunition home without a gun present

Post by Gaznazdiak » 23 Feb 2019, 4:12 pm

OMG Ziad!
They can actually take away your CAT? :wtf:
What do they do with them, sell them to Chinese restaurants?
Or maybe greyhound trainers?
That's outrageous tyranny. :lol:

But seriously mate isn't that one of the silliest ways to introduce a new law?
I haven't heard clarification of whether it applies at freeway speeds, are you certain it does?
I can just imagine the result with some traffic slowing to 40 and b-double driver talking on his phone ploughing into them at 110.
Not disputing you, I have been wondering since they ran the ads but have never bothered to find out.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2019, 4:35 pm

Yes it does just ask anyone in Sydney , the freeway and highway is why it was brought in .and it won't be long before It actually causes a death Insted of stopping one ......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Archie » 23 Feb 2019, 4:36 pm

Fact is... the laws were introduced, as we all know, in a hurry. And they haven’t been revised too much even when they have been updated because even small modifications and clarifications turn into media beat ups about “loosening the laws”.

To be honest though, in this case the big deal isn’t the laws but the regulations. Effectively, the police (minister or commissioner depending) puts in place regulations that clarify how the broad bits of the law will be enforced in practice where the law itself isn’t totally specific. So for example, the law says you have to take all reasonable steps to keep your firearm secure. The commissioner then lays down for police what “all reasonable steps” means in practice, ie the safe has to be this thick and bolted to the floor in this way etc.

So much as I hate to let the politicians off the hook, the real reason this is so unclear is really down to the cops doing a terrible job of defining, and the communicating, exactly what is necessary.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 23 Feb 2019, 4:43 pm

Thanks deye,
That is bloody ridiculous, eh?
Definitely just bone holding appart the ears of the genius who came up with that one.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2019, 4:57 pm

Yep have heard story's from another forum of one of the freeways up there m5 I think they call it . a copper just sitting with lights flashing just around a bend cars hit the brakes and then a truck comes around and smoke poring of the trailer .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 23 Feb 2019, 6:32 pm

deye243 wrote:Yep have heard story's from another forum of one of the freeways up there m5 I think they call it . a copper just sitting with lights flashing just around a bend cars hit the brakes and then a truck comes around and smoke poring of the trailer .

All the freeways have this, and also many well-trafficked major roads. Nothing succeeds like extra revenue lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2019, 6:55 pm

That's it Z nothing to do with safety ....... you would want the trafic to flow unimpeded
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Feb 2019, 1:43 pm

Ohh God forbid you don't get a fine..... they are addicted to fine revenue.

Anyway yes gaz it is true. Started in nsw and then vic adopted it. Now I hear rumor that NSW might redo the laws as it's more dangerous. But no chance it will change in near term in vic.

There were a couple of cases of ambo parked on the side of road getting sideswiped by cars going 100kph. Thus the law was introduced.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Mar 2019, 10:35 pm

Rolling home like ....
gettyimages-123053885-1024x1024.jpg
gettyimages-123053885-1024x1024.jpg (332.63 KiB) Viewed 2095 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel