Transporting ammunition home without a gun present

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Transporting ammunition home without a gun present

Post by marksman » 22 Feb 2019, 6:05 pm

there's nothing in the firearms act 96 that says you have to lock your ammo up in transit in Victoria deye243 :unknown:

the people you know that got pinged would have been something else other than unsecured ammo :unknown:
section 126 of the Victorian firearms act 96 covers safe keeping of firearms and ammunition while being carried or used

(4) A person who is carrying or using cartridge ammunition must—

S. 126(4)(a) amended by No. 22/1998 s. 43(Sch. item 10).

(a) ensure that the cartridge ammunition is carried and used in a manner that is secure and is not dangerous; and

S. 126(4)(b) amended by No. 22/1998 s. 43(Sch. item 10).

(b) must take reasonable precautions to ensure that the cartridge ammunition is not lost or stolen.

Penalty: 60 penalty units or 12 months imprisonment.

http://www8.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/view ... /s126.html

as I said earlier the "you have to have your ammo in a locked container when travelling in Victoria" was started by ssaa course instructors in my area

I think each to there own but if I don't want to lock up my ammo in transit I wont :drinks: but good for you guys that do :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 22 Feb 2019, 6:29 pm

I told you it isnt in the firearms act ....... the jacks enforce the department of sparks and embers laws to you know .....
Now they have a grate little chestnut that says if you are in deer habitat and have a light fixed to the vehicle as I and thousands of others do and it ain't locked away you are done and lose the lot on the spot ....
And if you want to know how fuped that is just look at what is classified as deer habitat even Dandenong shire is and from there heading East to the nsw border is .
Even if I sitting in the main street in Bairnesdale in my 4x4 I will get done .......
And if you dont believe me have a talk to your dfo .
This is one of the this things that s**t me about having a licence before you get a car one you need to know the law but with a gun licence they just give it to you and it is a full time job to keep it .......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 22 Feb 2019, 6:33 pm

Oh yeah the blokes that have been done around here was for this reason and now other ...
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Feb 2019, 9:12 pm

here we go again :lol:
we have already had a very large thread on this subject where the delwp law has been discussed
delwp law does not say you have to lock your ammo up in deer habitat while in transit in Victoria
what it does say is that firearms and ammunition must not be easily accessible and that ammunition cannot be stored or locked up in the glove box of your car between sunset and sunrise

here is what I said in one of the posts and a link to the thread so you can get the idea

enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10377&start=36

what I said
"sorry mate but you are being corrected winton,
if you listen to Gwion you are going to loose your gear and have a bad day in court if you put your ammunition under the seat in deer habitat
between sunset and sunrise your firearms and ammunition cannot be easily accessible in deer habitat
in a ute you cannot store a firearm or ammunition in the cab, obviously a lock box would be nice but that is not a necessity
it's also worded that you cannot have your ammunition in the glovebox locked or not
you do not want to get done for unsecured firearm or ammo :thumbsdown:
remember dewlp law is not the same as vicpol,
I wonder if there is any more news about these guys :unknown:
anyway its usually when the dewlp and police are doing roadblocks in an area because of poaching you hear these sort of story's"

so in Victoria you can drive home from the lgs with a sh!t ton of ammo in deer habitat as long as it is not easily accessible between sunset and sunrise
the thread has links for proof through out :drinks: your mates were getting pinged because there firearms and ammo were easily accessible :thumbsup:

if the delwp law has changed I am unaware of it and would appreciate it if you can put up a link to show it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2019, 12:36 am

my apologies
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2019, 6:50 am

I just lock ammo in a small cash box and use trigger locks. And always out of sight. I guess you could use a cable and lock through the action or trigger guard to a fixed point in cabin. Big boxes are a pain.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 23 Feb 2019, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 23 Feb 2019, 8:11 am

deye243 wrote:my apologies

no need deye243 :drinks:

it is like you said "This is one of the this things that s**t me about having a licence before you get a car one you need to know the law but with a gun licence they just give it to you and it is a full time job to keep it ......."

:drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 Feb 2019, 10:57 am

This is a good topic simply because I have been concentrating on correct home and travel storage for firearms so much that I was not even aware of the legalities of taking home ammo that I had just purchased ....so I gotta clean up my act
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Feb 2019, 12:04 pm

I just want to know how the faark are you supposed remember it all. Even if you get the right info.

Police should get together with the other departments and provide online a PDF booklet that covers everything. And keep it up dated every year. Then you can save it on your mobile or laptop.

But probably too simple for the government.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2019, 1:24 pm

And just to clarify ...... I wend in to my lgs and on the counter were a couple of faxes and they were from the local dfo and they had the licence photo and details of the blokes that have had there licence confiscated , I asked him about it and he told me why they lost it and why and also said whenever the cops do take a licence all the lgs get a fax so the shops know not to sell them anything you need a licence for ....
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 Feb 2019, 1:30 pm

Lol... dye243 actually you are wrong... they give you a handbook as part of driving license... but it doesn't cover many things esp obscure conditions. And definitely no one notifies people of new loose changes except some big ones. I will bet not many know you have to slow to 40kph with emergency lights flashing. And they they have s speed gun and you going at 60kph you will lose your license.... at 100kph (freeway,) they can take away your cat and do you for hoon driving... which is another load of crow law but I digress
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2019, 2:42 pm

How could anyone not know about the flashing lights bs it has been on the media So much I'm sick of hearing about it :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 23 Feb 2019, 4:12 pm

OMG Ziad!
They can actually take away your CAT? :wtf:
What do they do with them, sell them to Chinese restaurants?
Or maybe greyhound trainers?
That's outrageous tyranny. :lol:

But seriously mate isn't that one of the silliest ways to introduce a new law?
I haven't heard clarification of whether it applies at freeway speeds, are you certain it does?
I can just imagine the result with some traffic slowing to 40 and b-double driver talking on his phone ploughing into them at 110.
Not disputing you, I have been wondering since they ran the ads but have never bothered to find out.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2019, 4:35 pm

Yes it does just ask anyone in Sydney , the freeway and highway is why it was brought in .and it won't be long before It actually causes a death Insted of stopping one ......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Archie » 23 Feb 2019, 4:36 pm

Fact is... the laws were introduced, as we all know, in a hurry. And they haven’t been revised too much even when they have been updated because even small modifications and clarifications turn into media beat ups about “loosening the laws”.

To be honest though, in this case the big deal isn’t the laws but the regulations. Effectively, the police (minister or commissioner depending) puts in place regulations that clarify how the broad bits of the law will be enforced in practice where the law itself isn’t totally specific. So for example, the law says you have to take all reasonable steps to keep your firearm secure. The commissioner then lays down for police what “all reasonable steps” means in practice, ie the safe has to be this thick and bolted to the floor in this way etc.

So much as I hate to let the politicians off the hook, the real reason this is so unclear is really down to the cops doing a terrible job of defining, and the communicating, exactly what is necessary.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 23 Feb 2019, 4:43 pm

Thanks deye,
That is bloody ridiculous, eh?
Definitely just bone holding appart the ears of the genius who came up with that one.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2019, 4:57 pm

Yep have heard story's from another forum of one of the freeways up there m5 I think they call it . a copper just sitting with lights flashing just around a bend cars hit the brakes and then a truck comes around and smoke poring of the trailer .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 23 Feb 2019, 6:32 pm

deye243 wrote:Yep have heard story's from another forum of one of the freeways up there m5 I think they call it . a copper just sitting with lights flashing just around a bend cars hit the brakes and then a truck comes around and smoke poring of the trailer .

All the freeways have this, and also many well-trafficked major roads. Nothing succeeds like extra revenue lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 23 Feb 2019, 6:55 pm

That's it Z nothing to do with safety ....... you would want the trafic to flow unimpeded
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Feb 2019, 1:43 pm

Ohh God forbid you don't get a fine..... they are addicted to fine revenue.

Anyway yes gaz it is true. Started in nsw and then vic adopted it. Now I hear rumor that NSW might redo the laws as it's more dangerous. But no chance it will change in near term in vic.

There were a couple of cases of ambo parked on the side of road getting sideswiped by cars going 100kph. Thus the law was introduced.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Mar 2019, 10:35 pm

Rolling home like ....
gettyimages-123053885-1024x1024.jpg
gettyimages-123053885-1024x1024.jpg (332.63 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel