Firearm classification

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Firearm classification

Post by cracker » 23 Feb 2019, 4:04 pm

Just wondering if anyone has successfully had a firearm reclassified... specifically cat D to cat C
Such as in the case where a shotgun holds 6 rounds, could you have if plugged to hold 5 by a gunsmith and reclassified as a 5 shot.. thus making it a cat c...
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Firearm classification

Post by bladeracer » 23 Feb 2019, 4:38 pm

cracker wrote:Just wondering if anyone has successfully had a firearm reclassified... specifically cat D to cat C
Such as in the case where a shotgun holds 6 rounds, could you have if plugged to hold 5 by a gunsmith and reclassified as a 5 shot.. thus making it a cat c...

I didn't think we have that lever-shotgun rule here in Vic?

You'd have to email Firearms about it. I have a vague memory of something like you can't convert a CatD to a lesser category but I think that's more specifically aimed at preventing things like AR15's being crippled to be straight-pull and such, too easy to convert them back. The lever-shotgun would be in the same boat I think.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 23 Feb 2019, 7:48 pm

As far as my understanding goes they can change up category for example from a C to a D but they can not come down a category through modification, so a D will always be at least a D.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by cracker » 23 Feb 2019, 9:17 pm

im wanting to take a 6shot pump shotgun from d to c so i dont have to have it made permanently improbable
honestly i dont care if its 2 shot... i just dont want to destroy a piece of history for the sake of being able to own it.

from what i gather its a terrible idea... but thought maybe someone else has some experience

if you welded a plug into a tube mag or cut the tube mag down... its pretty permanent
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 23 Feb 2019, 10:54 pm

From what I have just looked up in VIC If you have a firearm that is not registered you can take it in and register said firearm just like here in the west.If you make your 6 shot a 5 shot you should be able to reregister the firearm.Cat C is still very restrictive but if it works for you do it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 24 Feb 2019, 7:07 am

As far as I'm aware ya can't deregister a firearm without handing in for destruction it has to remain registered to "someone" :roll:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 24 Feb 2019, 9:16 am

The mag tube can be crimped to stop the follower moving forward to acept 6 and limit to 5. In QLD its a form 10 is to change details of a registered firearm. Metallic Silouette Shooters convert A and B rifles into Cat H pistols to make unlimited pistols.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by JSS » 24 Feb 2019, 9:41 am

yoshie wrote:The mag tube can be crimped to stop the follower moving forward to acept 6 and limit to 5. In QLD its a form 10 is to change details of a registered firearm. Metallic Silouette Shooters convert A and B rifles into Cat H pistols to make unlimited pistols.

Yes because they are moving UP a category not down. They will now always be "H" and can't go back to A or B.
A Cat C semi auto shotgun can be restricted to two shots and with a doctors note you can apply to use them for clay shooting but they are still a cat C.
A gun can't go to a lower category through modding, If a gun is on the system as a D it will never become a C no matter what you do.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Victorian gun laws