Filming police doing safe inspection

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Filming police doing safe inspection

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Feb 2019, 8:50 am

Patriot, the police don't think everyone is shonky, but having to deal on a daily basis with the worst scum humanity can produce, it's a self defense mechanism to be suspicious. It's also part of the job, they're not here to pander to peoples sensibilities.

But, just for the record how would you feel if you were treated that way in whatever line of work you're in?
Would it endear you to the person recording you?
Or would you think they were being a bit of a dick for automatically prejudging you?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by mickyj » 27 Feb 2019, 9:10 am

A safe Inspection (though I confess I have never had one) is a normal everyday human interaction as I see it. The best way to start one is with an assumption that the other person is decent and you act accordingly. If the other party shows otherwise you respond accordingly. You can escalate if you need to by pulling out a camera or ask to speak to your lawyer etc.

I think most of the suspicion should be aimed at the politicians who create the laws.
But saying all that one should always cover thy arse.

It would be interesting to hear accounts from folks that have actually survived a safe inspection.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 27 Feb 2019, 9:28 am

And then there's the other side of the discussion!!!!
"Police commissioners wife gets ticket torn up" ABC NEWS.
Funny how the junior officer who issued the ticket has "gone on leave" hey ???
Ahh Qld cops they really know how to lose their jobs!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Feb 2019, 9:34 am

Daddybang wrote:And then there's the other side of the discussion!!!!
Ahh Qld cops they really know how to lose their jobs!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Yeah, that's a really good look, eh?

I got a chuckle from the part of the report where the police spokesman said that it's every citizen's right to challenge a ticket.

So it is, but how many who aren't married to a police commissioner actually succeed wasn't mentioned. :lol:
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 27 Feb 2019, 9:37 am

Yeah gaz that was pretty much my first thought as well mate. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 27 Feb 2019, 10:02 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:

I got a chuckle from the part of the report where the police spokesman said that it's every citizen's right to challenge a ticket.

So it is, but how many who aren't married to a police commissioner actually succeed wasn't mentioned. :lol:

Copped my first speeding fine in over 20 years back in Sept, applied for leniency and was given leniency- no points lost, no fine, no offence recorded.
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 27 Feb 2019, 11:59 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:Patriot, the police don't think everyone is shonky, but having to deal on a daily basis with the worst scum humanity can produce, it's a self defense mechanism to be suspicious. It's also part of the job, they're not here to pander to peoples sensibilities.

But, just for the record how would you feel if you were treated that way in whatever line of work you're in?
Would it endear you to the person recording you?
Or would you think they were being a bit of a dick for automatically prejudging you?

So you are saying it’s ok for the police to prejudge everyone, and record them, because some people they interact during the course of their shift are scum. Yet not ok for the public, for example me, not to prejudge them?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Feb 2019, 12:22 pm

Mate, I really don't know how I can make it any simpler for you, but I'll try.

They interact with people who lie to them, disrespect them and attack them, every day, so it's simple human nature for that to colour how they look at people.

Do you interact with crooked coppers doing the wrong thing by you every day? Or any day?

I have never heard of anyone reporting that the police recorded their safe inspection, that doesn't mean it's never happened, but if it was common we would have heard about it before you made the claim.

I will take the fact that you have twice refused to answer how you would feel if you were treated that way in your day job to mean that you wouldn't like it at all.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 27 Feb 2019, 12:55 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Mate, I really don't know how I can make it any simpler for you, but I'll try.

They interact with people who lie to them, disrespect them and attack them, every day, so it's simple human nature for that to colour how they look at people.

Do you interact with crooked coppers doing the wrong thing by you every day? Or any day?

I have never heard of anyone reporting that the police recorded their safe inspection, that doesn't mean it's never happened, but if it was common we would have heard about it before you made the claim.

I will take the fact that you have twice refused to answer how you would feel if you were treated that way in your day job to mean that you wouldn't like it at all.

Righto mate,
If you think police are not at least voice recording every single interaction including safe inspections,you are having yourself on.
Yes,people do treat coppers poorly and that’s a disgrace, but no one forces them to join the coppers,they know that going in,for them to complain afterwards would be like a soldier complaining about be shot at in a war zone.

Nope would not like to be treated that way,but I did not voluntarily sign up to join the coppers. Police have extraordinary powers more than any other citizens with that power comes consequences and dealing with scumbags is one them. There are others in the community who get lied to,attacked and disrespected everyday as well mate and they have zero power and zero recourse.

No I don’t interact with crooked cops doing the wrong thing every day,but other citizens do, it does happen and seems to be happening more
The public is hearing about it more because people are recording them and holding them to account and they should be,as I said they have extraordinary powers and they need to be held to account.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 27 Feb 2019, 1:23 pm

Well patriot, you seem quite determined to do it, no skin off me mate, it is your right to do so.

It's just that I, and seemingly everyone else, wondered why you would want to antagonize, right from the get-go, someone with the power to make your life difficult, or to take your guns.

Assuming that because some cops overstep their authority, they all will, just as a matter of course seems as simplistic to me as the antis who assume that all gun owners are slavering murderers in waiting.

But one of the great things about Oz is that we are all free to believe whatever strangeness bloats our particular goats.

Good luck witth it.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 27 Feb 2019, 1:32 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Well patriot, you seem quite determined to do it, no skin off me mate, it is your right to do so.

It's just that I, and seemingly everyone else, wondered why you would want to antagonize, right from the get-go, someone with the power to make your life difficult, or to take your guns.

Assuming that because some cops overstep their authority, they all will, just as a matter of course seems as simplistic to me as the antis who assume that all gun owners are slavering murderers in waiting.

But one of the great things about Oz is that we are all free to believe whatever strangeness bloats our particular goats.

Good luck witth it.

Yeah thanks mate, don’t think I’ll do it,just asking the question.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 27 Feb 2019, 1:42 pm

I think a little skepticism in qld coppers is fair enough especially for those that remember the "Bad ol days" of the seventies and eighties where corruption was WIDE spread and more the norm than an honest copper but If everything is going smoothly don't do anything to deliberately derail the process!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 27 Feb 2019, 7:13 pm

Empathy. That's the word.

I always put myself in other persons shoes and think how would I feel or do.

In the end of the day police is a job, just like a plumber, accountant, teacher etc. So when I get pullets over for a RBT, or even those times I was pulled over for speeding, I just say hi, answer their questions in a calm manner. Once I fkd up and was caught driving at 90 in a 60k zone, instant loss of license, but some luck the guy went lenient and I ended up with a 3 pointer fine. I learnt my lesson. I suppose if I got angry or gave him s**t, I'd be walking for the next 6 months.

In short they are humans doing a job, they see and deal with lots of s**t, if you behave nicely its likely that they will be more willing to let you off or help you through a minor issue.

Now going back to your original question if you have say a CCTV camera installed in your gun room, explain to them it's there before they get in the room. say its for security ask if they would like you to turn it off.... maybe that's a better option then holding a phone in your hand.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 27 Feb 2019, 7:39 pm

I know not everyone will agree with this, but based on my interactions with the local coppers over the last couple of years, they are pretty happy to be dealing with my straightforward requirements when I need to register a new firearm. Got to be a lot nicer job compared to filling out another accident or theft or assault report, or dealing with some peep that got let out on bail that forgot to rock up for his regular attendance at their local cop shop. I've had a couple of great chats with young coppers including females that were quite interested in firearms and seemed genuinely relieved to be talking with someone that wasn't a dropkick making a PITA of themselves.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 27 Feb 2019, 10:49 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:I know not everyone will agree with this, but based on my interactions with the local coppers over the last couple of years, they are pretty happy to be dealing with my straightforward requirements when I need to register a new firearm. Got to be a lot nicer job compared to filling out another accident or theft or assault report, or dealing with some peep that got let out on bail that forgot to rock up for his regular attendance at their local cop shop. I've had a couple of great chats with young coppers including females that were quite interested in firearms and seemed genuinely relieved to be talking with someone that wasn't a dropkick making a PITA of themselves.

My experience dealing with the police in WA has generally been very positive too. In the 30 odd years l have lived in WA I have only come across a rude and aggressive police officer once. All the rest of the officers I have dealt with have been polite and reasonable. Police have a very difficult job to do. They are often in situations where people are at their worst or are having an appalling experience. I have known a number of police socially, and completely unsurprisingly they are ordinary members of the community who have a difficult job to do. If you don’t act like a complete pull-through in your dealings with them, you are likely to find them perfectly ok. The reason they were body cameras is to protect themselves and the public. If they are filming their interactions with the public they have a strong motivation to act professionally.

How many people here have actually had very much to do with criminals? How much experience do people here have of the people who end up in prison due to their criminality? I have had a bit to do with them over the years and I much prefer the conduct of the police over criminals. A lady I know has an uncle who was the subject of a home invasion. He was an elderly bloke who had the misfortune to live in a farmlet on the road between Norseman and Esperance. The crims broke in wanting to steal his car, as the stolen car they were in had broken down. In the course of their crime they smashed him in the head with a hammer. Unsurprisingly this has stuffed his life up. Who do you think caught the crims and brought them to justice? I’ll give you a hint: it wasn’t some keyboard warrior on the internet.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 27 Feb 2019, 10:57 pm

My recent safe inspection they attended a total of 3 times as I was not compliant and they could not have been more helpful and polite.I also lived in a small southwest country town and the local police were very community orientated and ran the basketball on Wednesday night for all the children in town
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Davo86 » 27 Feb 2019, 11:07 pm

When they did mine had a young female constable come out with a acting SGT.
Female cop across as dumb as dog s**t, I asked her if her body cam was rolling which I could tell was not.
The old SGT said yeah mine is buddy, then asked about the Army plaques and my old KFF hanging on the wall, takes s**t with him while the young Conny looked like she had never even touched a gun other than her Glock to qualify on it.
Few jokes were made, got on real well with SGT he admired my SMLE collection.
A handshake and then they left.
Cops are like.anyone in life.. you run into alot of assholes but end of the day their just doing there job and probably go home.and crack a beer like the rest of us.
Side note though..
The young Conny I hated she was leaning her elbow on her Glock like the edge of a bar saloon.
In saying that she was lucky to be pushing 5 foot and 45kg.
Ahh equality
Davo86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by trekin » 28 Feb 2019, 10:16 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:

I see this morning that the Commossioner is taking early retirement.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 28 Feb 2019, 10:36 am

Early retirement hey?
Nope nothing suss goin on here!!!! :allegedly: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 28 Feb 2019, 2:20 pm

They can't easily fire a govt burocrat

No one can, even if they fk up cost millions... best they will be moved sideways and ******
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Feb 2019, 2:29 pm

Seems like QLD police are still the best that money can buy.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 28 Feb 2019, 3:43 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Seems like QLD police are still the best that money can buy.

Hence me saying a little bit of skepticism is understandable!!!!! :lol: :drinks:
I know other states have had police corruption pop it's head up but only qld coppers had Rodney sing a song about'em!!!!
:lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by doc » 04 Mar 2019, 1:50 pm

If you're that worried, an alternative may be to record audio on your phone while it's in your pocket. You can do it inconspicuously, and I believe according to Australian laws only one party needs to be aware of the recording for it to be legal.

If anything dodgy happens, voice recording will probably give you what you need in 99% of the cases, and reduces the risk of a hostile inspection as a response.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Mar 2019, 2:24 pm

fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 04 Mar 2019, 3:19 pm

And just to add even more fuel to the fire
The CCC (who are supposed to uncover corruption) have stated there's nothing untoward in the whole ticket for the commish's wife fiasco but they didn't even interview the issuing officer before reaching that conclusion!!!!!!! :silent: :silent: :silent:
Yeah nothin to cause mistrust in Qpol there!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Mar 2019, 5:55 pm

Interesting - if your in public you are legally allowed to video record officers without consent but your not allowed to record anybof their conversation without consent...what if your video has audio?? Could you then mute the audio and edit in the words being said as a graphic ?
I know...shut up TT. Lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JSS » 04 Mar 2019, 6:25 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Interesting - if your in public you are legally allowed to video record officers without consent but your not allowed to record anybof their conversation without consent...what if your video has audio?? Could you then mute the audio and edit in the words being said as a graphic ?

In Qld the only time they (police) can tell you to stop is if they are on private property that has nothing to do with you, or your filming is hindering them doing their duty. Other than that it's all good. As far as audio you can record in public areas and you can record a private conversation you have with someone else without telling them, The rule goes something like "at least one party in the conversation must be aware of the recording" you being that "one party" makes it legal.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Mar 2019, 6:49 pm

Yes - but most video collection devices have audio facilities built in now...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Patriot » 04 Mar 2019, 7:36 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Interesting - if your in public you are legally allowed to video record officers without consent but your not allowed to record anybof their conversation without consent...what if your video has audio?? Could you then mute the audio and edit in the words being said as a graphic ?

So if I understand correctly, police can voice record me but I can’t record them unless I ask?
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 04 Mar 2019, 7:47 pm

Patriot wrote:

So if I understand correctly, police can voice record me but I can’t record them unless I ask?

That's correct mate, that's why I said you will only make trouble for yourself doing so.

But then they're allowed to shoot you too.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws