Property size for a .303 in WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: Property size for a .303 in WA

Post by No1_49er » 02 Mar 2019, 8:29 am

Just as well that WAPOL doesn't have anything to do with approval of the shooting complex at Monarto, SA.
The 900mtr range is alongside Princes Hwy. They'd have heart palpitations.
Nothing like living in a country with "consistent gun laws" across the States, huh.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sawyers » 02 Mar 2019, 9:29 am

magnum012 wrote:I’m looking to get a .303 and have read that 2000 acres is the size needed for a high powered in WA. I can get access to a farm that is 1890 acres, backing onto a large reserve only accessible from the farm, and the farm is bounded on two sides by roads with the farm being a squarish shape.
Does anyone know if this will suffice?

Usual acreage required is 2000 but the marginal acreage is 1000 as per WAPOLS spread sheet
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Runnymede » 02 Mar 2019, 8:13 pm

Truly bizarre regulations. Why are the authorities in WA so terrified of the citizens having firearms? They obviously can’t outright ban them so obviously make it as difficult and costly as possible for people. What I can’t grasp is it is the largest state by land mass with bugger all people in it and you can’t hunt on state land..... why, what are they affraid of? I really feel for you all over there. I think I read on this forum somewhere that you can just “buy” permission from landowners from your local gun shop (I may be wrong) but if true it would seem the whole thing is a farce anyway. The authorities know, the lgs knows and the applicant knows it’s all a lie so why bother in the first place????
Runnymede
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 03 Mar 2019, 7:34 am

Runnymede wrote:Truly bizarre regulations. Why are the authorities in WA so terrified of the citizens having firearms? They obviously can’t outright ban them so obviously make it as difficult and costly as possible for people. What I can’t grasp is it is the largest state by land mass with bugger all people in it and you can’t hunt on state land..... why, what are they affraid of? I really feel for you all over there. I think I read on this forum somewhere that you can just “buy” permission from landowners from your local gun shop (I may be wrong) but if true it would seem the whole thing is a farce anyway. The authorities know, the lgs knows and the applicant knows it’s all a lie so why bother in the first place????

Yep ya can buy a property letter from the lgs or direct from some stations. ..but ya pay anywhere from the 180-300 and it's sold with the expectation un most cases that ya won't ever show up to shoot!!!!! :unknown:
WA is a truly f@#ked up place for firearms ownership which is a shame cause there qre some truly amazing and beautiful places over there. :crazy: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Mar 2019, 8:33 am

Corruption by any other name...
I’d like to see sporting shooter rag do a review of the different state laws - highlighting the above type insanity.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 03 Mar 2019, 8:55 am

No1_49er wrote:Just as well that WAPOL doesn't have anything to do with approval of the shooting complex at Monarto, SA.
The 900mtr range is alongside Princes Hwy. They'd have heart palpitations.
Nothing like living in a country with "consistent gun laws" across the States, huh.

I could well be wrong, but thought it was just to 500m 49er... :unknown:

Although that doesnt detract at all from your point... :thumbsup:

Its not such a silly idea either, (a range along a freeway)...other ranges in the hills have residents complain of stray bullets that somehow manage to regularly bend their trajectory around the shelter roofs, deflect up & out of steep gullies & further change course to eventually "hit their roof"...

No doubt fuelled from being able to hear the shots in the distance on still days....Its probably the 10,000 cockys stripping the trees above their house dropping twigs... :lol:

So drowned out by freeway noise is a good thing...& its especially good at Monarto if you like a (near impossible) challenge from blustery swirling winds combined with bad mirage some days :D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 03 Mar 2019, 8:58 am

TassieTiger wrote:Corruption by any other name...
I’d like to see sporting shooter rag do a review of the different state laws - highlighting the above type insanity.

Yep...good call... :thumbsup:
& a good time to do it now given everything should have settled in with any changes individual states have made since the NFA
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 03 Mar 2019, 9:09 am

Careful what ya wish for fellas if they stir up to much sh@t and make the poliscum panic then we might all end up being consistent with WA!!!!!!! :o :shock: :? :wtf: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 03 Mar 2019, 10:35 am

Daddybang wrote:Careful what ya wish for fellas if they stir up to much sh@t and make the poliscum panic then we might all end up being consistent with WA!!!!!!! :o :shock: :? :wtf: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

^^^^^^^^ What he said
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ponkychonk » 03 Mar 2019, 2:07 pm

Sawyers wrote:
magnum012 wrote:I’m looking to get a .303 and have read that 2000 acres is the size needed for a high powered in WA. I can get access to a farm that is 1890 acres, backing onto a large reserve only accessible from the farm, and the farm is bounded on two sides by roads with the farm being a squarish shape.

Usual acreage required is 2000 but the marginal acreage is 1000 as per WAPOLS spread sheet

What spreadsheet are you referring to
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by duncan61 » 03 Mar 2019, 5:14 pm

I would also like to see this spreadsheet I have been looking and cant find anything yet
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by magnum012 » 03 Mar 2019, 8:33 pm

Sawyers wrote:Usual acreage required is 2000 but the marginal acreage is 1000 as per WAPOLS spread sheet

I’d love to see it too.
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by magnum012 » 03 Mar 2019, 9:54 pm

Daddybang wrote:
magnum012 wrote:Ok guys, just an update, I had a chat to a mate with closer to 5000ac who was more than happy to allow me to shoot on his property so I’m going with that option instead.
I spoke to the police and they definitely want a property close to 2000ac minimum in one block un-separated by a road. They said there is a little leeway if the terrain is hilly and provides good backstops.
I don’t make the rules, just gotta follow them to get the result you need.

Thanks for posting the results magnum. ..doesn't look like they've "phased" anything out hey!!! :lol: :drinks:

What do you mean by phased out? I haven’t seen an Aussie shooting forum since shooting.com.au went belly up, so I’m a little out of the loop.
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 03 Mar 2019, 10:33 pm

Daddybang was refering to my comment that the low/high power was phased out and we went to Cat A/B and minimum land sizes.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by magnum012 » 03 Mar 2019, 11:31 pm

Duncan61, I had a read back and understand now. Cheers mate!
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 04 Mar 2019, 8:09 am

magnum012 wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
magnum012 wrote:Ok guys, just an update, I had a chat to a mate with closer to 5000ac who was more than happy to allow me to shoot on his property so I’m going with that option instead.
I spoke to the police and they definitely want a property close to 2000ac minimum in one block un-separated by a road. They said there is a little leeway if the terrain is hilly and provides good backstops.
I don’t make the rules, just gotta follow them to get the result you need.

Thanks for posting the results magnum. ..doesn't look like they've "phased" anything out hey!!! :lol: :drinks:

What do you mean by phased out? I haven’t seen an Aussie shooting forum since shooting.com.au went belly up, so I’m a little out of the loop.

Gday magnum as Duncan said it was just a comment on duncans statement that the 2000.acre land requirements had been phased out. Unfortunately the coppers have the ability to arbitrarily set the size requirements for the issuing of a license because it's not actually legislated anywhere. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Sawyers » 04 Mar 2019, 5:57 pm

ponkychonk wrote:
Sawyers wrote:

What spreadsheet are you referring to

If I knew how to post pics Id put it up
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by magnum012 » 05 Mar 2019, 12:46 am

Sawyers wrote:If I knew how to post pics Id put it up

https://postimages.org <====== Here you go. :friends:
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 05 Mar 2019, 1:06 am

I take pictures with my Ipad and E-mail them to myself and save them in desktop on my desktop then attach them through full editor
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by magnum012 » 05 Mar 2019, 8:51 pm

Ok I checked today online and it says approved, that’s 9 working day total, excluding my time dicking around getting the second property letter.
I’m amazed, comparing that to when I got my shotgun about 6 years ago and it took nearly 2 months to process. Well done WA police, very impressed!
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 05 Mar 2019, 10:14 pm

I find the new system with the post office works well I put a .243 brno .22 Hornet savage and .22LR Winchester on my licence all on one application about a year ago no fuss at all
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by 1Fatman » 05 Mar 2019, 10:23 pm

magnum012 wrote:Ok I checked today online and it says approved, that’s 9 working day total, excluding my time dicking around getting the second property letter.
I’m amazed, comparing that to when I got my shotgun about 6 years ago and it took nearly 2 months to process. Well done WA police, very impressed!

They are reasonable quick that way, my wife got her new pistol approved in 10 days BUT 7 days later and she is still waiting for the paperwork to arrive in the mail.
Lurking somewhere in your computer......... https://ozgunlobby.com
1Fatman
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by magnum012 » 22 Mar 2019, 9:35 pm

Sawyers wrote:

Hey Sawyer, did you have any luck finding the spreadsheet?
I’ve had a bit of fun with the three ‘oh, just bringing it out of retirement slowly :)
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 24 Mar 2019, 10:56 pm

Tap on the pic and should enlarge
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 24 Mar 2019, 11:55 pm

excellent work sawyers
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by magnum012 » 25 Mar 2019, 12:29 pm

Thanks Sawyers, legend.
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Wraithe » 29 Jun 2021, 10:35 am

firearmrangeswapol.jpg
WA police, effective ranges of firearms.
firearmrangeswapol.jpg (77.77 KiB) Viewed 4693 times

This is the guide WAPOL uses for firearms licenses.

Very few officers in firearms branch will truely help, sadly even fewer in the force have firearms handling knowledge..

I personally had an officer ask if a firearm was loaded when I presented it chamber first, thumb inside chamber, bolt in hand, I spent the next five minutes educating the constable and sgt on firearms safety, then as constable looked through the scope he swung it around to a neighbours shed. That was the end of them being on the property, I summarily dismissed them and went back to annoying my neighbour(moved from city and whinges, lives 2 k away on another farm) with loud noises.

WAPOL would not recognise the difference between a firearm and a stick. It annoys me that they don't get taught correct firearm safety/handling/knowledge. The ones that get into hunting or from the bush are trying to teach the others, if an officer is not firearm aware/effecient/knowledgable, then when they are armed, they are dangerous. We need the Police but we don't need untrained idiots. If you get the chance, introduce an officer to shooting, it will help them keep safe and you make a new friend.
Wraithe
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 05 Jul 2021, 5:48 pm

I presume on the table posted by Sawyer that the notation (a tick) followed by 5m means that the calibre is only good for 5m on that species?
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by ZaineB » 05 Jul 2021, 6:45 pm

probably, this whole list s**ts me given the act does not require it therefore police have no right to be enforcing it.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 05 Jul 2021, 7:37 pm

If the police are adding in property sizes and these sizes are not written in the legislation the police need to be taken to court. A WA shooter needs to put in a permit, have it rejected then take them to court. The courts can be your friend. Yes it is expensive but you can't put a price on principles.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Western Australia gun laws