Letter of Authority / Permission to Shoot NSW

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Letter of Authority / Permission to Shoot NSW

Post by mickyj » 25 Feb 2019, 11:36 pm

Hi folks,

I have verbal permission to shoot rabbits and vermin on a property. I noticed there was a form on the FAR website “Letter of Authority / Permission to Shoot”. Ok so I have filled that out and get the owner of land to sign. Then what? Do I send in to FAR or just keep,it with me if required at some Point?

Screwed if I can find the answer on the FAR website.

Cheers
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Letter of Authority / Permission to Shoot NSW

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Feb 2019, 8:54 am

Good question mickyj.
I was under the impression that the permission to shoot letter was to back up a reason for needing the firearm.

I live on the property I shoot on, but had to get a permission signed as my reason for wanting a license and it went to The Fast And Reliable dept with the application, never to be seen again.

Do we need one for other reasons?

Does this mean that, by the letter of the law, I need one to shoot on another property to which I've been invited?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by mickyj » 26 Feb 2019, 8:52 pm

Thanks Gaz. Makes sense. I would have rang the FAR but I don't have 2 hours to waste during the working day.
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by PaddyT » 27 Feb 2019, 10:04 am

AFAIK not in NSW if you are a member of a registered Hunting club eg the SSAA that is sufficient, I would imagine keeping a written note from the landholder is probably a good idea just in case of problems
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 27 Feb 2019, 3:11 pm

Yeah mickyj the letter you're talking about is only required to establish "genuine reason" for your licence.

Obviously you need permission to enter anybody's land and shoot. But outside of the initial written one to justify your genuine reason (assuming you dont have an alternaitve one like club membership/r-licence, primary producer etc) verbal is fine (mind you having written permission couldn't ever hurt).
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mickyj » 27 Feb 2019, 4:07 pm

sweet thanks guys
mickyj
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws