Is It Possible To Obtaining A Full-Auto On A Collectors?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Is It Possible To Obtaining A Full-Auto On A Collectors?

Post by Crazy » 01 Mar 2019, 4:11 pm

I understand there has been a discussion already regarding this and was wondering if its possible for a collector to obtain one? The only working full-autos i have seen so far have only been in Victoria and I have heard that collectors can only have full-autos if their WWII and intended to me mounted, is there anyone who is able to confirm this? cheers.
These are the full autos i have seen so far in Victoria.
Browning M2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lQsKEa ... TN&index=3
Vickers machine gun .303: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrePkV1 ... I0qaFLjZTN
Crazy
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Is It Possible To Obtaining A Full-Auto On A Collectors?

Post by No1Mk3 » 01 Mar 2019, 5:15 pm

Yes, if you weld a plug in the barrel, remove and weld up all the trigger mechanism, then weld that back in the receiver, weld the bolt closed, then you can own a Bren, or an Owen, or even a .50 Browning on Cat 1 Collectors. Cheers.

PS:Any auto you see operating in Vic is owned by a Cat 1A Dealer/Theatrical Armourer firing under a very limited Display Permit. Some re-enactors are permitted gas blank firing MG's.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by cracker » 01 Mar 2019, 6:10 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Yes, if you weld a plug in the barrel, remove and weld up all the trigger mechanism, then weld that back in the receiver, weld the bolt closed, then you can own a Bren, or an Owen, or even a .50 Browning on Cat 1 Collectors. Cheers.

PS:Any auto you see operating in Vic is owned by a Cat 1A Dealer/Theatrical Armourer firing under a very limited Display Permit. Some re-enactors are permitted gas blank firing MG's.

Correct.

Its not an easy process getting a dealers license either.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Mar 2019, 6:38 pm

My local gun shop told me there are in excess of 160 licensed firearms dealers in Tasmania...I know of maybe 10 shops in the state.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by cracker » 01 Mar 2019, 7:15 pm

TassieTiger wrote:My local gun shop told me there are in excess of 160 licensed firearms dealers in Tasmania...I know of maybe 10 shops in the state.

yeah prob, can be a wholesale business, someone importing ammo? old black powder parts who knows.
also...for tax reasons perhaps... the whole writing off your hobby on tax thing... :thumbsup:
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Download » 02 Mar 2019, 12:32 pm

Some states will allow bona fide museums to have full autos under some conditions, but I'd expect nearly all of the full-auto licenses in Australia to be for the movie industry. RSL clubs are given some leeway as well.

There are a few dealers operating out of their houses in SA. They mostly just exist to do transfer or to do repairs. I also saw a belt-fed WW1 machine gun for sale at a gun show about two or three years back.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Mar 2019, 2:27 pm

cracker wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:My local gun shop told me there are in excess of 160 licensed firearms dealers in Tasmania...I know of maybe 10 shops in the state.

yeah prob, can be a wholesale business, someone importing ammo? old black powder parts who knows.
also...for tax reasons perhaps... the whole writing off your hobby on tax thing... :thumbsup:

It’s not that expensive to do here to get a dealers licence, most work from their house and do the bare min to retain their licence but my understanding is that with a dealers lic - a LOT of doors are opened as to what you can own...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Victorian gun laws