PTA for air rifle.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

PTA for air rifle.

Post by fishburgr » 01 Mar 2019, 7:26 pm

Hi folks,
Quick question. I want a cheap air rifle but havent decided which one yet.

When filling in the Qld PTA do I just need to put "Air" as the action and that will cover me regardless of what type I buy, wether it be a semi auto style Crossman 1077 with CO2 or Gamo with the break action to load? Or do I need to be more specific with air rifles?

Thanks in advance.

edit - I know it may seem like a silly question and for any other rifle you would need to be specific, but under action you get a drop down box where one of the options is simply "Air". So I can't think of what else that would be for if not as a catch-all for air rifles.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: PTA for air rifle.

Post by Supaduke » 01 Mar 2019, 8:23 pm

Buy a springer. The Crossman Co2's are really toys and the upkeep on CO2 is horrendous. Unless you spend more money upgrading to a clunky air tank setup.
Do yourself a favour and get an underlever or break action springer.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 01 Mar 2019, 9:08 pm

I think you'll find that as you work your way through the (on-line) application, when you get to the action type, there is a drop down list to make selection from. Can't imagine that there will be too many options.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by fishburgr » 01 Mar 2019, 9:10 pm

To be honest, I really did just want a toy. It won't be getting used for anything more than shooting a few cans. No hunting or any serious target shooting, just something the young boys can have a go of.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by fishburgr » 01 Mar 2019, 9:16 pm

No1_49er wrote:I think you'll find that as you work your way through the (on-line) application, when you get to the action type, there is a drop down list to make the selection from. Can't imagine that there will be too many options.

Yeah, unfortunately, the dropdown box for Action has the same options whether you choose Centrefire, Rimfire or Air rifle. So it will let you pair up a centrefire rifle with "air" as the action if you really didn't know what you were doing.

I'm pretty confident its just "air" as the action for any air rifle but I'll call the dealer tomorrow to confirm before i put it thru.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Mar 2019, 9:35 pm

Air rifle down Tas is a Cat A firearm, equal to a .22 and 12g shotgun (less than 5 shots)

You need to be careful saying you want it for your boys and for shooting cans...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by No1_49er » 02 Mar 2019, 12:06 am

fishburgr wrote:
No1_49er wrote:I think you'll find that as you work your way through the (on-line) application, when you get to the action type, there is a drop down list to make the selection from. Can't imagine that there will be too many options.

Yeah, unfortunately, the dropdown box for Action has the same options whether you choose Centrefire, Rimfire or Air rifle. So it will let you pair up a centrefire rifle with "air" as the action if you really didn't know what you were doing.

I'm pretty confident its just "air" as the action for any air rifle but I'll call the dealer tomorrow to confirm before i put it thru.

I just went through a "dummy" application, and the PTA would be for : - Cat A, Air Rifle, Air (action type). There is no differentiation for break barrel, PCP, CO2, or any other type
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 02 Mar 2019, 4:10 am

TassieTiger wrote:Air rifle down Tas is a Cat A firearm, equal to a .22 and 12g shotgun (less than 5 shots)

You need to be careful saying you want it for your boys and for shooting cans...

Up here, Cat A's do not require a genuine reason on the application, as long as his boys are at least 11 years old, under supervision by licenced adult and in a place where it is legal to dicharge a firearm, then all's good.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 02 Mar 2019, 7:03 am

As said above Air will coverit :thumbsup:
And if ya want a budget break barrel I can recommend the bsa scouts. ..at fnq prices one cost me 180 brand new and six months or so later I've put around 4000 pellets thru it and can't fault it!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by fishburgr » 02 Mar 2019, 9:54 am

trekin wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Air rifle down Tas is a Cat A firearm, equal to a .22 and 12g shotgun (less than 5 shots)

Up here, Cat A's do not require a genuine reason on the application, as long as his boys are at least 11 years old, under supervision by licenced adult and in a place where it is legal to dicharge a firearm, then all's good.

Yeah cheers mate, they are both 11+.

daddybang - ill check out those scouts mate.

n01 - My confusion was with the fact that the 1077 is advertised as semi auto and the Gamo as break barrel and both "semi" and "break" are options on the PTA. Thanks for the clarification.

Sounds like air as the action is suitable. Thanks all for the input.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws