Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by bah » 02 Mar 2019, 9:00 pm

Hi there,

Apologies in advance for adding another post on wait times for new category A/B license and PTA wait times, but I just noticed that the other thread had become quite long and somewhat outdated. I am reaching out to the community to gauge as how long processing times have been for recent successful applicants.

I submitted my weapons licence application on the 28/01/2019 with my first two PTAs (one Cat A, one Cat B). I received an email notice to have my ID checked on the 17/02/2019, which I had the opportunity to complete on the way home from work on the same day. I emailed a copy of my confirmation provided by police to the inquiries email. I called again end of last week for an update, and I was told my applications hadn’t even been looked at yet. When I asked for further information, I wasn’t provided with anything indicative or useful, just that they would ‘get to it when they get to it’ in order of processing.

Considering I have already paid for both rifles, and the cost of paying for a 10 year license, it’s safe to say I’m quite keen on picking them up and getting out to the range. With a history as clean as a whistle, no traffic offences and years in a professional job, I really don’t understand what the hold up could be now that my 28 days has lapsed.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers! :drinks:
User avatar
bah
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by Blr243 » 02 Mar 2019, 9:26 pm

Find something else to distract yourself for the time being. Otherwise it’s just checking the mailbox and being disappointed every day My last pta this year took about 34 day’s total and I’m waiting for two more
Blr243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2148
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by No1_49er » 02 Mar 2019, 10:52 pm

Applied for @ 21:00hr Friday last.
Approved @ 10:40 Wednesday last - email. Has already been faxed to dealer.
Excluding the weekend, two and a bit days.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 466
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by Daddybang » 03 Mar 2019, 7:14 am

Same as no1's applied for a pta Friday last approval email in the inbox following Monday morning faxed to dealer Wednesday.
New license can take anywhere up to about three months even longer in some situations don't waste ya time chasing them until the three months has passed as ya will just get the "its being processed in order of receipt" line. If nothing else the whole process forces ya to learn patience!!!!!! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2012
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by JSS » 03 Mar 2019, 7:41 am

Yep i've had two ptas (which were put in separately) both come through within a week in the past month or so.
Can't complain about that :drinks:
User avatar
JSS
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 280
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by meawls » 03 Mar 2019, 9:26 am

Two PTA’s for different purchases submitted a week apart late last month - both Cat A. One approved after a day and a half, the other approved the next day. In both cases the docs were faxed to the dealers within three days. Renewal of Cat H licence last week. Approval received after a day and a half. Haven’t got the card in the mail yet ... but jeez it’s only been a week!! You only need the numbered approval to be legal anyways ... I say top marks genlemen!!
meawls
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 42
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by Bilko » 06 Mar 2019, 9:30 pm

How did you go bah? I submitted my licence application on 18 Feb, got email and provided my 100 points today. Told 4 weeks and should have licence.

PTA for a Weatherby 243 submitted 20 Feb, so hopefully will get to test it for Easter.
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 13
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by bah » 07 Mar 2019, 7:11 pm

Blr243 wrote:Find something else to distract yourself for the time being. Otherwise it’s just checking the mailbox and being disappointed every day My last pta this year took about 34 day’s total and I’m waiting for two more


You're not false Blr243, checking the letterbox every afternoon has simultaneously been the most exciting, and most disappointing, part of my day!

No1_49er wrote:Applied for @ 21:00hr Friday last.
Approved @ 10:40 Wednesday last - email. Has already been faxed to dealer.
Excluding the weekend, two and a bit days.


No1_49er, sounds like once you actually have the license, the PTA wait times are an absolute breeze.

Daddybang wrote:Same as no1's applied for a pta Friday last approval email in the inbox following Monday morning faxed to dealer Wednesday.
New license can take anywhere up to about three months even longer in some situations don't waste ya time chasing them until the three months has passed as ya will just get the "its being processed in order of receipt" line. If nothing else the whole process forces ya to learn patience!!!!!! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:


Daddybang, this whole entire process has afforded me an understanding of patience that transcends human understanding. :D

JSS wrote:Yep i've had two ptas (which were put in separately) both come through within a week in the past month or so.
Can't complain about that :drinks:


JSS, let's hope that I can boast of the same turn around times when I go for my 2.43 bolt action and 12 gauge lever action PTAs after the plastic arrives!

meawls wrote:Two PTA’s for different purchases submitted a week apart late last month - both Cat A. One approved after a day and a half, the other approved the next day. In both cases the docs were faxed to the dealers within three days. Renewal of Cat H licence last week. Approval received after a day and a half. Haven’t got the card in the mail yet ... but jeez it’s only been a week!! You only need the numbered approval to be legal anyways ... I say top marks genlemen!!


meawls, I'm joining the local pistol club as soon as my license arrives. How long did you have to wait for your Cat H License, minus the 6-month mandatory wait and participation in three comps?

A broader question for the group - when can I expect the police to inspect my safe? I want to show off my secure storage facility! :thumbsup:
User avatar
bah
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by bah » 07 Mar 2019, 7:19 pm

Bilko wrote:How did you go bah? I submitted my licence application on 18 Feb, got email and provided my 100 points today. Told 4 weeks and should have licence.

PTA for a Weatherby 243 submitted 20 Feb, so hopefully will get to test it for Easter.


Hi Bilko, I gave them a call again this week and had a representative tell me they have had an influx of applications, and that I should expect to wait for an additional 8 weeks before receiving an email confirming approval. A little bit bummed considering I was hoping to get to the range in the short break over Easter. The information that you received sounds A LOT more promising. I've read some posts about some applicants having the opportunity to verify their ID a little earlier than others - perhaps this will work to your advantage? Keep me in the loop regardless, I'm curious to see whether they actually follow the 'in order of applications received' processing rule. 8-)
User avatar
bah
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by JSS » 07 Mar 2019, 7:20 pm

bah wrote:, let's hope that I can boast of the same turn around times when I go for my 2.43 bolt action and 12 gauge lever action PTAs after the plastic arrives!


Didn't you put some PTAs in at the same time as your licence application? If you did they should be approved and arrive about the same time. if not you'll have another 28 day waiting period for your first PTAs.


bah wrote:A broader question for the group - when can I expect the police to inspect my safe? I want to show off my secure storage facility! :thumbsup:


Probably never, it's a random thing, i don't personally know anyone who's ever had one. A couple of guys on the forum have had them though so they do happen..
User avatar
JSS
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 280
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by bah » 07 Mar 2019, 7:35 pm

JSS wrote:
bah wrote:, let's hope that I can boast of the same turn around times when I go for my 2.43 bolt action and 12 gauge lever action PTAs after the plastic arrives!


Didn't you put some PTAs in at the same time as your licence application? If you did they should be approved and arrive about the same time. if not you'll have another 28 day waiting period for your first PTAs.


bah wrote:A broader question for the group - when can I expect the police to inspect my safe? I want to show off my secure storage facility! :thumbsup:


Probably never, it's a random thing, i don't personally know anyone who's ever had one. A couple of guys on the forum have had them though so they do happen..


Hi JSS, yes I did! I just assumed that I might have to wait an additional 28 days after the license is approved. I do remember putting my reference number in with the application. I'll just have to wait and see what happens I suppose. :unknown:
User avatar
bah
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by JSS » 07 Mar 2019, 7:43 pm

You should be sweet then, the 28 days runs at the same time as the 28 days for your lic application, they should come through when your lic comes in if past history is anything to go by.
User avatar
JSS
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 280
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by No1_49er » 07 Mar 2019, 8:04 pm

bah wrote:
No1_49er wrote:Applied for @ 21:00hr Friday last.
Approved @ 10:40 Wednesday last - email. Has already been faxed to dealer.
Excluding the weekend, two and a bit days.


No1_49er, sounds like once you actually have the license, the PTA wait times are an absolute breeze.


Subsequent to the above, two more Cat B applications - advised approved after 2 days, faxed to dealer in the same week :thumbsup:
Seems like they "batch process" their faxes
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 466
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by meawls » 08 Mar 2019, 5:57 pm

meawls wrote:Two PTA’s for different purchases submitted a week apart late last month - both Cat A. One approved after a day and a half, the other approved the next day. In both cases the docs were faxed to the dealers within three days. Renewal of Cat H licence last week. Approval received after a day and a half. Haven’t got the card in the mail yet ... but jeez it’s only been a week!! You only need the numbered approval to be legal anyways ... I say top marks genlemen!!


meawls, I'm joining the local pistol club as soon as my license arrives. How long did you have to wait for your Cat H License, minus the 6-month mandatory wait and participation in three comps?

A broader question for the group - when can I expect the police to inspect my safe? I want to show off my secure storage facility! :thumbsup:[/quote]

Sorry mate ... had my pistol licence over 30 years - the latest renewal was number seven - and it gets renewed for 5 years at a time!! Situation very different from now!!

In the 11 years we’ve lived at this address we’ve had 2 safe/firearms inspections. The way I understand the situation, it’s done randomly, and at a time when the local station has the resources. They are usually obliged to give notice, and they did in both cases for us.
meawls
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 42
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by fishburgr » 11 Mar 2019, 3:41 pm

You blokes getting your PTAs back in a day or two are making me nervous. Im 6 working days into my wait for a PTA for an air rifle.

I probably have nothing to be worried about.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 36
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by Daddybang » 11 Mar 2019, 4:12 pm

Don't panic fish the pta before my last took two weeks. ....nothing like consistent service!!! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
Thinking about it that was for an air rifle too :unknown: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2012
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by fishburgr » 11 Mar 2019, 5:56 pm

Cheers Daddybang, that puts my mind at rest.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 36
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by gunnnie » 13 Mar 2019, 10:33 pm

My son's renewal was lodged on line the night before it was due to expire, 2wks ago. He got his new license a week later! Bloody impressive if you ask me.
PTA's just as quick. I lodged a Cat H on line & was approved, via email, 24hrs later.

It's great to see that WLB are working towards common sense with regards approvals etc. A lot of the red tape seems to have been cut out & the process streamlined. It has to make their job easier & less complicated. The way it was must have been a nightmare to work through.
gunnnie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 218
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by bah » 16 Mar 2019, 10:52 am

***UPDATE***

Called this week and told that the wait time is likely to be another 6-7 weeks (currently in week 8). Apparently they haven’t even arrived at my application yet in order of recieved applications. Guess I’m not spending any time at the range these holidays! :violin:
User avatar
bah
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by Stev076vl » 16 Mar 2019, 2:33 pm

Hi. Has any experienced 30 day waiting times for every pta. I have 2 rifles, cat a and b and i just applied for another cat a fire arm and the wait is still 30days as dated on the confirmation e-mailed to me. So far none of the ptas have arrived before that date which is painful. Previous ptas were faxed to dealer exactly 30 days from when i applied. Is the date on the approval email a guide and am i likely to see it sooner? Have a feeling its going to be another 30day wait.
Stev076vl
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 1
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by fishburgr » 20 Mar 2019, 6:48 pm

Stev076vl wrote:Hi. Has any experienced 30-day waiting times for every pta. I have 2 rifles, cat a and b and i just applied for another cat a firearm and the wait is still 30days as dated on the confirmation e-mailed to me. So far none of the ptas have arrived before that date which is painful. Previous ptas were faxed to dealer exactly 30 days from when i applied. Is the date on the approval email a guide and am i likely to see it sooner? Have a feeling its going to be another 30day wait.


That sounds odd mate. Did they actually mention a 30 day wait on the email they send when you first put the PTA in online? My letter didn't mention any specific timeframe. It simply says they process them first come first served and then once approved allow 10 - 14 days to receive it in the mail. If you opt to have it faxed to the dealer then its normally done the same week it's approved.

I just got the approval email for my 2nd firearm PTA, another Cat A. It took 17 days from the date of application to approval and then another day for it to be faxed to the dealer.

I would give WLB a call. Theyre normally happy to help as long as you don't badger them daily about a PTA or something.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 36
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by Daddybang » 20 Mar 2019, 7:47 pm

If you have lodged the pta's in a short amount of time they may not have added the firearms to your license so the system may be saying you have no firearms on your license . That's about the only reason I could think of other than wlb being inconsistent but even that has improved out of sight compared to a couple of years ago. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2012
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by bah » 22 Mar 2019, 12:22 pm

Hey guys,

Just letting you know I received my confirmation email on Tuesday for my category A/B license. Apparently the plastic will arrive in 10-14 business days. That’s exactly 7 weeks and 1 day turn around time (50 days) for a new license application to be processed. Considering the high volume of applications they’re reporting to have received this year, I’m actually quite impressed. Let’s hope that Australia Post doesn’t lose my letter (but wouldn’t that be asking for too much at this stage hahaha).

Cheers!
User avatar
bah
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by snag » 23 Mar 2019, 9:30 pm

I put my cat H application in 8 weeks ago and got my approval notification 1 week ago. I agree with bah, pretty impressed really.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
User avatar
snag
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 212
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by Bilko » 24 Mar 2019, 7:35 am

Well done bah, looks like you will be shooting for Easter then.

My application was about 2 weeks after yours, so see how I go for an Easter shoot. I am booked on a shooting trip for the May long weekend, so looks like I will be able to be more then the camp cook.
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 13
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by bah » 29 Mar 2019, 10:08 am

Bilko wrote:Well done bah, looks like you will be shooting for Easter then.

My application was about 2 weeks after yours, so see how I go for an Easter shoot. I am booked on a shooting trip for the May long weekend, so looks like I will be able to be more then the camp cook.


Bilko, very exciting to think that your application will be processed just as quickly as mine! Still waiting on the plastic in the post (6 days and counting). The highlight of my day is opening my post box each afternoon. :lol:

I can also confirm both of my PTAs were approved and faxed to dealer as soon as I made a follow up phone call. Now that is what I call service!

Keep us updated on how you go. Curious to see how other applications are processing at this time of the year.

Cheers :drinks:
User avatar
bah
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by Patriot » 29 Mar 2019, 10:32 am

bah wrote:
Bilko wrote:Well done bah, looks like you will be shooting for Easter then.

My application was about 2 weeks after yours, so see how I go for an Easter shoot. I am booked on a shooting trip for the May long weekend, so looks like I will be able to be more then the camp cook.


Bilko, very exciting to think that your application will be processed just as quickly as mine! Still waiting on the plastic in the post (6 days and counting). The highlight of my day is opening my post box each afternoon. :lol:

I can also confirm both of my PTAs were approved and faxed to dealer as soon as I made a follow up phone call. Now that is what I call service!

Keep us updated on how you go. Curious to see how other applications are processing at this time of the year.

Cheers :drinks:


I hope the plastic doesn’t get ‘lost in the mail’ like many seem to.
Patriot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 183
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by bah » 01 Apr 2019, 5:08 pm

Patriot wrote:
bah wrote:
Bilko wrote:Well done bah, looks like you will be shooting for Easter then.

My application was about 2 weeks after yours, so see how I go for an Easter shoot. I am booked on a shooting trip for the May long weekend, so looks like I will be able to be more then the camp cook.


Bilko, very exciting to think that your application will be processed just as quickly as mine! Still waiting on the plastic in the post (6 days and counting). The highlight of my day is opening my post box each afternoon. :lol:

I can also confirm both of my PTAs were approved and faxed to dealer as soon as I made a follow up phone call. Now that is what I call service!

Keep us updated on how you go. Curious to see how other applications are processing at this time of the year.

Cheers :drinks:


I hope the plastic doesn’t get ‘lost in the mail’ like many seem to.


Patriot,

Can confirm that from time of approval through to card arriving in mail, you are looking at 7 business days. The overall wait time was 8 weeks and 4 days from time of application to plastic in letterbox. It looks like between Weapons Licensing, the third party printing service in Victoria and Australia Post, ALL have picked up their game!

Happy as Larry boys (EDIT - and girls/them, forgot to be PC)! Picking up my Remington 7615 and Tikka TX1 .22lr tomorrow. Can't wait to visit a range over the Easter break! 8-)

Thinking of you Bilko!

:drinks:
User avatar
bah
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 30
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by Bilko » 01 Apr 2019, 7:53 pm

Excellent. You might even be able to hit the range before Easter then. :thumbsup:

I head off to NZ on Saturday = have to check out Omaka Air Show for Easter - so fingers crossed mine will be in the letterbox when I get back.
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit
 
Posts: 13
Queensland

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by JSS » 02 Apr 2019, 10:25 am

Just had another PTA come through, it was 6 working days for email confirmation and fax to dealer. Not super fast but still nothing to complain about. Especially when the gun is still 3+ months away :lol: :drinks:
User avatar
JSS
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 280
Queensland

Next

Back to top
 
Return to Queensland gun laws