Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by bah » 16 Mar 2019, 10:52 am

***UPDATE***

Called this week and told that the wait time is likely to be another 6-7 weeks (currently in week 8). Apparently they haven’t even arrived at my application yet in order of recieved applications. Guess I’m not spending any time at the range these holidays! :violin:
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Stev076vl » 16 Mar 2019, 2:33 pm

Hi. Has any experienced 30 day waiting times for every pta. I have 2 rifles, cat a and b and i just applied for another cat a fire arm and the wait is still 30days as dated on the confirmation e-mailed to me. So far none of the ptas have arrived before that date which is painful. Previous ptas were faxed to dealer exactly 30 days from when i applied. Is the date on the approval email a guide and am i likely to see it sooner? Have a feeling its going to be another 30day wait.
Stev076vl
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by fishburgr » 20 Mar 2019, 6:48 pm

Stev076vl wrote:Hi. Has any experienced 30-day waiting times for every pta. I have 2 rifles, cat a and b and i just applied for another cat a firearm and the wait is still 30days as dated on the confirmation e-mailed to me. So far none of the ptas have arrived before that date which is painful. Previous ptas were faxed to dealer exactly 30 days from when i applied. Is the date on the approval email a guide and am i likely to see it sooner? Have a feeling its going to be another 30day wait.

That sounds odd mate. Did they actually mention a 30 day wait on the email they send when you first put the PTA in online? My letter didn't mention any specific timeframe. It simply says they process them first come first served and then once approved allow 10 - 14 days to receive it in the mail. If you opt to have it faxed to the dealer then its normally done the same week it's approved.

I just got the approval email for my 2nd firearm PTA, another Cat A. It took 17 days from the date of application to approval and then another day for it to be faxed to the dealer.

I would give WLB a call. Theyre normally happy to help as long as you don't badger them daily about a PTA or something.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 20 Mar 2019, 7:47 pm

If you have lodged the pta's in a short amount of time they may not have added the firearms to your license so the system may be saying you have no firearms on your license . That's about the only reason I could think of other than wlb being inconsistent but even that has improved out of sight compared to a couple of years ago. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bah » 22 Mar 2019, 12:22 pm

Hey guys,

Just letting you know I received my confirmation email on Tuesday for my category A/B license. Apparently the plastic will arrive in 10-14 business days. That’s exactly 7 weeks and 1 day turn around time (50 days) for a new license application to be processed. Considering the high volume of applications they’re reporting to have received this year, I’m actually quite impressed. Let’s hope that Australia Post doesn’t lose my letter (but wouldn’t that be asking for too much at this stage hahaha).

Cheers!
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by snag » 23 Mar 2019, 9:30 pm

I put my cat H application in 8 weeks ago and got my approval notification 1 week ago. I agree with bah, pretty impressed really.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bilko » 24 Mar 2019, 7:35 am

Well done bah, looks like you will be shooting for Easter then.

My application was about 2 weeks after yours, so see how I go for an Easter shoot. I am booked on a shooting trip for the May long weekend, so looks like I will be able to be more then the camp cook.
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bah » 29 Mar 2019, 10:08 am

Bilko wrote:Well done bah, looks like you will be shooting for Easter then.

My application was about 2 weeks after yours, so see how I go for an Easter shoot. I am booked on a shooting trip for the May long weekend, so looks like I will be able to be more then the camp cook.

Bilko, very exciting to think that your application will be processed just as quickly as mine! Still waiting on the plastic in the post (6 days and counting). The highlight of my day is opening my post box each afternoon. :lol:

I can also confirm both of my PTAs were approved and faxed to dealer as soon as I made a follow up phone call. Now that is what I call service!

Keep us updated on how you go. Curious to see how other applications are processing at this time of the year.

Cheers :drinks:
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Patriot » 29 Mar 2019, 10:32 am

bah wrote:

Bilko, very exciting to think that your application will be processed just as quickly as mine! Still waiting on the plastic in the post (6 days and counting). The highlight of my day is opening my post box each afternoon. :lol:

I can also confirm both of my PTAs were approved and faxed to dealer as soon as I made a follow up phone call. Now that is what I call service!

Keep us updated on how you go. Curious to see how other applications are processing at this time of the year.

I hope the plastic doesn’t get ‘lost in the mail’ like many seem to.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bah » 01 Apr 2019, 5:08 pm

Patriot wrote:
bah wrote:

I hope the plastic doesn’t get ‘lost in the mail’ like many seem to.

Patriot,

Can confirm that from time of approval through to card arriving in mail, you are looking at 7 business days. The overall wait time was 8 weeks and 4 days from time of application to plastic in letterbox. It looks like between Weapons Licensing, the third party printing service in Victoria and Australia Post, ALL have picked up their game!

Happy as Larry boys (EDIT - and girls/them, forgot to be PC)! Picking up my Remington 7615 and Tikka TX1 .22lr tomorrow. Can't wait to visit a range over the Easter break! 8-)

Thinking of you Bilko!

:drinks:
bah
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bilko » 01 Apr 2019, 7:53 pm

Excellent. You might even be able to hit the range before Easter then. :thumbsup:

I head off to NZ on Saturday = have to check out Omaka Air Show for Easter - so fingers crossed mine will be in the letterbox when I get back.
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JSS » 02 Apr 2019, 10:25 am

Just had another PTA come through, it was 6 working days for email confirmation and fax to dealer. Not super fast but still nothing to complain about. Especially when the gun is still 3+ months away :lol: :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Marchy » 05 Apr 2019, 12:03 pm

Waiting game sucks.
12 Feb = submitted licence app.
20 Feb = ID check.
Today = WLB say keep waiting

Hopefully the end is getting closer not a big fan of waiting.
Marchy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by flutch » 05 Apr 2019, 3:17 pm

yeah a mate of mine waited more than 4 months.... crazy... I put in for an addition here in WA, take away 4 days for postal s**t, I got the 300win less than a week later...
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Patriot » 05 Apr 2019, 3:40 pm

Marchy wrote:Waiting game sucks.
20 Feb = ID check.

I submitted my application on 7th of May last year, did not get plastic in hand until end of September, hope you have better luck.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Marchy » 05 Apr 2019, 5:29 pm

Marchy wrote:Waiting game sucks.
20 Feb = ID check.

So 4 hours after getting told my application is not yet being processed and could be 4-6 more weeks I get an email saying it's been approved and card should arrive in 10-14 days.......
Now for PTA approvals to arrive..
Marchy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bilko » 11 Apr 2019, 3:39 pm

Email arrived today. 10-14 business days for the plastic. Just hope it arrives before 3 May when I am booked for a long weekend shooting trip. PTA approved too - so will have to check gun shop has it when I get back to Oz.
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Addz » 15 Apr 2019, 7:35 pm

So i did my application and pta same night on 4/04/2019 only been just over a week but super keen hopefully not waiting any longer then 8 weeks
Addz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Marchy » 16 Apr 2019, 3:16 pm

Card arrived today for me.

9 weeks 1 day end to end.
Marchy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Dagda » 25 Apr 2019, 9:40 pm

Marchy wrote:Card arrived today for me.

9 weeks 1 day end to end.

:thumbsup: congratulations bud am chomping at the bit for mine
Last edited by Dagda on 05 May 2019, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lithgow 101 22lr
Sauer 100 223
Howa 6.5 Grendel
Sauer 100 308
Dagda
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bilko » 26 Apr 2019, 4:02 pm

Card arrived today. 9 weeks and 3 days from application. Easter and Anzac Day holidays held the mail up a bit.. Whew will be targeting some pigs for the May long weekend.
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Dagda » 27 Apr 2019, 5:44 pm

More good news congrats Bilko

I applied 05/03/19
Did ID on 21/03/19

Not heard a thing since ID check

Going to have to start paying storage at clever soon lol
Lithgow 101 22lr
Sauer 100 223
Howa 6.5 Grendel
Sauer 100 308
Dagda
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Addz » 28 Apr 2019, 10:07 am

I still haven't even done a id check yet I'm 4 days from my 28 days should I be worried?
Addz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Dagda » 28 Apr 2019, 8:30 pm

Addz wrote:I still haven't even done a id check yet I'm 4 days from my 28 days should I be worried?

Nah bud wouldn’t worry yet not sure their is a set time scale for ID checks, and recon Easter would have slowed things down,
If stressing leave it a couple weeks then contact them
Lithgow 101 22lr
Sauer 100 223
Howa 6.5 Grendel
Sauer 100 308
Dagda
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Addz » 01 May 2019, 3:32 pm

ID VERIFICATION email came this morning all done sent the paper back today now I'm back in the waiting game hahah
Addz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Dagda » 02 May 2019, 5:06 pm

Addz wrote:ID VERIFICATION email came this morning all done sent the paper back today now I'm back in the waiting game hahah

It’s another step bud, phoned licensing today, nice bloke but was told not looked at yet and busy so leave it the full 12weeks and call again, not sure if that’s just the standard reply
Lithgow 101 22lr
Sauer 100 223
Howa 6.5 Grendel
Sauer 100 308
Dagda
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 04 May 2019, 9:24 am

Hi all I lodged my application on the 31st of March 2019 I received a call from weapons License last 2 weeks ago something about my photo wasn’t acceptable and advised me to get passport photos which I did on the same day and sent them the photo cause there in the process of doing my application but haven’t received word for my Id check yet ? Wonder how long it takes and I put a pta out for a howa 243 more then 28 days ago and haven’t got any word of that either
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Dagda » 04 May 2019, 9:40 pm

I believe they do a sort of quick check at the start to see if they have all the basic requirements,
Reckon not much happened in weapon licensing over Easter break lol
Doubt you’d hear anything from the PTAs till you have your licence
Lithgow 101 22lr
Sauer 100 223
Howa 6.5 Grendel
Sauer 100 308
Dagda
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Dagda » 04 May 2019, 9:42 pm

And yes the wait is a nightmare lol
Lithgow 101 22lr
Sauer 100 223
Howa 6.5 Grendel
Sauer 100 308
Dagda
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 05 May 2019, 9:00 am

Thanks mate they sure do take there time ahaha and waiting is annoying I got to admit paid the funds required why not just do the paperwork already lol
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws