Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Queensland Weapons Licensing - Wait times Jan-March 2019

Post by Dagda » 23 May 2019, 6:43 pm

Cheers bud am happy emailed that PTA’s are approved, spoke to gun shop today and they have the pta so as soon a license comes I go get my la101

Addz I’d just bolt it to the floor and have a gap like I do, but would start a thread to try get more info, maybe with some photos so people can see what you mean and give you a hand
Lithgow 101 22lr
Sauer 100 223
Howa 6.5 Grendel
Sauer 100 308
Dagda
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 24 May 2019, 3:53 pm

Good news everybody I just got my email and PTA 1 day short of 10 weeks
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Addz » 24 May 2019, 4:00 pm

How big have you got your gap dagda the rest of the floor is level it's just all the corners. I just would have much preferred bolting it to the ground and wall but the floor will be fine its pretty tucked away in a locked cubboard with storage boxes surrounding it. It's gunna be a nightmare come storage inspection time unlocking 2 padlocks to the cupboard then moving all the boxes out to final be able to get to the safe hahah
Addz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Addz » 24 May 2019, 4:04 pm

Nice nathanthezoologist I'm 19 days after your application hopefully next couple weeks will be seeing the same thing
Addz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 24 May 2019, 9:24 pm

My wife is somewhere between me and you so I'll update when she gets her email

As for your safe mine is only bolted to the floor. The is what the brochure form Qld Police says:

'it must be securely fixed to the frame or floor of a
permanent building'
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 27 May 2019, 2:10 pm

Hey guys done my id check today just wanting to know how long roughly do they take to respond about it
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 27 May 2019, 2:59 pm

Howa Man I had my ID check on the 4th of April and got my approval email on the 24th of May
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 27 May 2019, 3:29 pm

Thanks mate I waited a while for this now it’s just all a mad rush ahaha
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 27 May 2019, 7:21 pm

Lol yeah I did the ID check asap but I ended up waiting 10 weeks total for my email and am now waiting for my card
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by fishburgr » 27 May 2019, 10:49 pm

I got a PTA back at lunchtime today that I put in lunchtime yesterday (sunday). Thats right, the PTA took less than 1 business day to get approved.Crazy.

Also, I noticed that the PTA online form process may have changed. I'm pretty sure the last time I put one in a month or so ago it said they would fax it to the dealer. Now it says they will email it. Weapons licensing coming into the 2000's!!!!
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 28 May 2019, 12:56 pm

Nathanthezoologist wrote:Lol yeah I did the ID check asap but I ended up waiting 10 weeks total for my email and am now waiting for my card

Well I waited 10 weeks and just got my if email check now waiting game hopefully not to long to wait cause not long now till 12 week mark
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Dagda » 29 May 2019, 4:44 am

Nathanthezoologist wrote:Good news everybody I just got my email and PTA 1 day short of 10 weeks

Good job bud,
My paper pta (also buying a rifle off a mate) arrived yesterday so just need license now and all set, really hope to be at the range this weekend
Lithgow 101 22lr
Sauer 100 223
Howa 6.5 Grendel
Sauer 100 308
Dagda
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 05 Jun 2019, 10:57 am

I got my approval today :)
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Addz » 05 Jun 2019, 11:52 am

Good work howa man hopefully next couple days same things I'm 4 days behind your application
Addz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RunRabbit » 06 Jun 2019, 7:31 am

I got my email check 10 days after submitting my application. I'm going in tomorrow to do it so that will be exactly two weeks after I submitted my application.
Is there any correlation between when you do your ID check and when you get the licence?
RunRabbit
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Addz » 06 Jun 2019, 10:17 am

Runrabbit I would expect to be waiting around the 10 to 11 week Mark from application submit date
Addz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 11 Jun 2019, 4:51 am

Hey guys, any updates on receiving your license card in the mail and if so how long did it take? :?:
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 11 Jun 2019, 6:55 am

Howa Man it took 2 weeks for me but I live in the North West so it might have been a bit longer than for people elsewhere
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 11 Jun 2019, 7:41 am

Mine surely couldn’t take that long as I don’t live far from Brisbane where wao is located
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Addz » 11 Jun 2019, 9:09 am

If I'm correct, and correct me if I'm wrong the license cards don't even get made in QLD they get posted to qld from somewhere eles so I would say to howaman it might and will be a bit of a wait to receive it in the mail as there not coming from brisbane wao. but in saying that it does mention a 10-14 waiting period and if you don't include weekends cause the mail doesn't get delivered on weekends you'll still be looking at around the last week of the month or even before howaman keep me updated on how you get on
Addz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 11 Jun 2019, 9:17 am

I’m not sure where they come from I’m guessing BRISBANE ahaha but I will keep you updated :)
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Royalblood » 11 Jun 2019, 7:04 pm

Whats the chances of actually being turned down for a new weapons application if you have no criminal history etc. but only have small traffic violations including a previous drink driving charge that resulted in going to court? Anyone on here been turned down for something in that nature or similar? I putt a application in on the 7/6/19 so only afew days ago with a Pta on the 10/6. Hopefully i will get it already have a nice .308 in mind but hoping for the best outcome.
Royalblood
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bilko » 15 Jun 2019, 2:26 pm

My licence took 7 working days from memory. It comes from Victoria.
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 17 Jun 2019, 6:37 am

bah wrote:Hi there,

Apologies in advance for adding another post on wait times for new category A/B license and PTA wait times, but I just noticed that the other thread had become quite long and somewhat outdated. I am reaching out to the community to gauge as how long processing times have been for recent successful applicants.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers! :drinks:

I thought, at the time, that your new post creating a quarterly section for queries regarding wait times was sensible.
I took the opportunity to create a second one, Apr - Jun, which I haven't seen anybody use.
Maybe I'll re-post, and try and get it started again.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 19 Jun 2019, 5:41 pm

Finally received my gun today and license :)
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 19 Jul 2019, 8:07 am

Hey guys my mate is interested in getting a firearm he just done his safety course Saturday and is waiting for his statement of attainment he is interested in buy his first firearm is it aloud to purchase a gun withou a application or firearms license?
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 19 Jul 2019, 8:34 am

Congratulations Howa man, could you post a summary of the key dates for applying, ID checks, email notification and license receipt etc. It will save anyone form having to scroll back through the thread to work out how long it all took for you. I'm only a month in from applying online so not even half way through yet.

Your friend can buy a firearm from a registered dealer but only up to the point of paying for it, the dealer will then store it until he has the license and PTA. Purchase from a private seller should also be possible but the firearm will again need to be held by the brokering dealer for the next 3 months or so.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 19 Jul 2019, 8:42 am

Thanks mate!. And my summary about my firearms license went from application date which was on the 31st April my I’d check on the 31st of May got the approval back on the fifth of June and Recived my license in mail exactly 2 weeks from approval :)
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Howa man » 19 Jul 2019, 8:43 am

Thanks mate!. And my summary about my firearms license went from application date which was on the 31st April my I’d check on the 31st of May got the approval back on the fifth of June and Recived my license in mail exactly 2 weeks from approval :)
Howa man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by fitchaj » 19 Jul 2019, 3:58 pm

Might seem like a stupid question.

Did a PTA for a 22lr and got the approval email. Is this enough to go and take ownership of the rifle or am I also waiting for something to be mailed?
fitchaj
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws