Flush against wall?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Flush against wall?

Post by Pyroteq » 04 Mar 2019, 2:47 pm

In the market for a safe now and in the NSW storage requirements it says the safe should be flush against the ground and/or wall...

But just picky are inspections regarding this?

For example, do they expect me to get rid of skirting along the floor if that means the safe will be 2cm away from the wall? What if the wall itself has an area that comes out that means having it flush isn't possible without a lot of effort making the wall flat?
Pyroteq
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Flush against wall?

Post by hzj80 » 04 Mar 2019, 3:08 pm

What kind of floor and wall are we talking about?
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by duncan61 » 04 Mar 2019, 3:19 pm

you should not be able to get a crowbar behind it and lever it off so flat wall and floor are needed.trim the skirting if needed the safe will probably be there a while
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 04 Mar 2019, 3:21 pm

Duncan the op's in NSW Not WA. :D :drinks:
Put a bit of board between the back of the safe and the wall.and put ya bolts thru both the hoard and wall. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Pyroteq » 04 Mar 2019, 3:30 pm

hzj80 wrote:What kind of floor and wall are we talking about?

Not 100% sure where it's going yet, but likely concrete floor and masonry wall. Otherwise concrete floor and wooden/plaster wall.
Pyroteq
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 04 Mar 2019, 3:51 pm

One alternative, might be obvious but I don't think it has to be flush against the wall if you bolt it to the floor instead.

The other alternative, is to do what I did and just get a safe thats heavier than 150kg. But that does have the problem of being pretty large, depending on the space available.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by hzj80 » 04 Mar 2019, 3:57 pm

Pyroteq wrote:
hzj80 wrote:What kind of floor and wall are we talking about?

Not 100% sure where it's going yet, but likely concrete floor and masonry wall. Otherwise concrete floor and wooden/plaster wall.

If it's bolted into a concrete floor you'd be hard pressed to get enough force to lever it off using a timber stud wall. Not sure how that sits with regulation though.
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Daddybang » 04 Mar 2019, 4:06 pm

But that does have the problem of being pretty large, depending on the space available.[/quote]

And unfortunately not everyone has the dollars to just run out and get a huge safe I know I wish I did it'd make life and storage a little easier :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Pyroteq » 04 Mar 2019, 4:13 pm

hzj80 wrote:If it's bolted into a concrete floor you'd be hard pressed to get enough force to lever it off using a timber stud wall. Not sure how that sits with regulation though.

I mean, if you have the opportunity to do that you'd just use an angle grinder or the good old "wrench attack"...

The masonry wall I have downstairs has a horizontal line across the length of the wall that's supposed to be a "decoration" I guess. Getting rid of that would be a messy difficult task and cause the safe to stick out about 1cm from the rest of the wall.

150kg safe I feel is a waste of money as I want my handgun licence in future so it needs to be bolted in regardless.

I might just go with a plank behind the safe to be on the safe side.

I should add I plan on putting the bolts in the floor or both the floor and wall.

In NSW can I request an inspection before I come into possession of a rifle to make sure I tick all the boxes?
Pyroteq
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 04 Mar 2019, 4:30 pm

Daddybang wrote:Duncan the op's in NSW Not WA. :D :drinks:
Put a bit of board between the back of the safe and the wall.and put ya bolts thru both the hoard and wall. :thumbsup: :drinks:

That's what I did in my previous incarnation as a LAFO (got out of the sport in 2010). And I'm about to install one using the same method (new house) now that my new licence has been issued.

In both instances however the box has been wedged into a fairly tight space (think broom cupboard) meaning the timber backing isn't going to leave it more vulnerable to being levered off the wall because there's no way to get a crowbar or anything in behind it anyway.

I could see the licencing bloke potentially taking issue with it if it were in a less enclosed space (like say the middle of a blank wall, but as stated above I have been passed without comment using exactly the solution Daddybang suggests.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 05 Mar 2019, 8:38 am

I raised mine (a relatively small safe) so it sits above the skirting boards flush against the wall.

I also considered installing the safe long-wise horizontally above obstructions but might need some shelving within.
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by hzj80 » 05 Mar 2019, 8:47 am

Mine's raised off the floor about an inch and bolted into a brick wall - no problems with inspection, mind you I'm in VIC.
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Mar 2019, 8:57 am

Pistol storage has different requirements than longarms. If you are looking at storing handguns in the safe in the future, set it up to comply with that level of storage.
Handgun safes must be minimum 6mm thick steel also. Check out the police website for details. https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... _Sheet.pdf
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 05 Mar 2019, 9:02 am

Daddybang wrote:But that does have the problem of being pretty large, depending on the space available.

And unfortunately not everyone has the dollars to just run out and get a huge safe I know I wish I did it'd make life and storage a little easier :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:[/quote]

I hear ya. Wasn't cheap. But given there was nowhere I could actually safely bolt it down and also have it not easily visible, still cheaper than getting a new place to live.

I actually did the worst of both worlds, I had to get a fairly small safe (so it would fit in the space I needed it to go) and then get it made heavier so it didnt need to be bolted (which cost more money). So I managed to make it both expensive, and not big enough.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Mar 2019, 7:37 pm

rookie wrote:I raised mine (a relatively small safe) so it sits above the skirting boards flush against the wall.

I also considered installing the safe long-wise horizontally above obstructions but might need some shelving within.

I have a 5-rifle safe mounted horizontally on the wall. I was using it to keep whichever rifles I was using most at the time, but then swapped to keeping ammunition in it. It's too small now to hold even just my .22LR ammo though so it's come back to being a handy place to keep whichever rifles I'm playing with at the time.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by magnum012 » 05 Mar 2019, 8:41 pm

I just want to say you’re doing yourself and the sport zero favours if your guns get stolen. Do whatever it takes to make them secured.
Two or three guys could carry a 150kg safe out, and if they bust your lighter one off the wall that’s equally as bad.
Don’t give the anti gun movement any ammo so to speak. They will shoot us with it.
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by pomemax » 05 Mar 2019, 10:35 pm

My safe is just bolted to the floor it 4 inches of the wall it holds up to 30 long arm,s and as many pistols as you think it is 240 kg empty .
I had an inspection the other week in NSW and all the copper was interested in was it was bolted down and could he see the bolts NP.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Mar 2019, 7:25 am

Bolting to both the wall and the floor makes jemmying the safe damn near impossible. It 'aint that hard. I'd put it where you said you have masonry wall/concrete floor.
Put a 1cm plywood packer above and below the "decorative line", ( which I assume is brick ), and put 2 dyna-bolts into the wall.
Then put 2 or preferably 4 bolts through the base into the concrete floor. Job done.
Safe installation.jpg
Safe installation.jpg (21.02 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by yoshie » 06 Mar 2019, 5:01 pm

Why not trim the skirting board? Keep the off cut and put it back when your done? Move out etc? That's what spak filler is for. 10 min job to put it back and a 1 litre tin of paint and a $2 brush from Bunnings
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by zhuk » 13 Mar 2019, 7:04 am

Pyroteq wrote:
hzj80 wrote:If it's bolted into a concrete floor you'd be hard pressed to get enough force to lever it off using a timber stud wall. Not sure how that sits with regulation though.

I mean, if you have the opportunity to do that you'd just use an angle grinder or the good old "wrench attack"...

The masonry wall I have downstairs has a horizontal line across the length of the wall that's supposed to be a "decoration" I guess. Getting rid of that would be a messy difficult task and cause the safe to stick out about 1cm from the rest of the wall.

150kg safe I feel is a waste of money as I want my handgun licence in future so it needs to be bolted in regardless.

I might just go with a plank behind the safe to be on the safe side.

I should add I plan on putting the bolts in the floor or both the floor and wall.

In NSW can I request an inspection before I come into possession of a rifle to make sure I tick all the boxes?

Pyrotec, might be the best idea either to ring FAR, or email them (might be better so you have a hardcopy of their reply...often ringing twice will get you two different answers in my experience lol)

To my mind, they won't like it not being flush( I cut the skirting board away for my safes) and I don't know if they'd accept a board behind it unless aybe it covered the entire back surface so there were no gaps.

And yes you can request a safe inspection, just contact your local cop shop.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws