Victoria - Laws regarding magazine manufacture

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Victoria - Laws regarding magazine manufacture

Post by KoalaGrundle » 05 Mar 2019, 10:28 am

I've been looking online and can't find anything specific about manufacture of domestically produced firearm magazines.
Since there's no gunsmith qualification that's not it, and dealer doesn't quite seem to cover it. Looked at Lithgow and LuckyThirteens sites, and there's no mention on there of any kind of special manufacturers licence number. Anyone know what the go is?

Not interested in importing, those rules are pretty easy to find and a fair few forum topics around dedicated to it.

Cheers
The first rule of gun safety is to have fun
KoalaGrundle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Victoria - Laws regarding magazine manufacture

Post by VICHunter » 05 Mar 2019, 12:40 pm

Magazines are not a 'controlled' item in Victoria. e.g. anyone can walk into a shop and buy one without producing a license or any identification.

I reckon you can't find anything because there is nothing about it.

Can't see any reason why you wouldn't be totally fine making one. It's just a plastic/metal box really.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Mar 2019, 3:07 pm

G'day KoalaGrundle,
Be aware you are still under the restriction on capacity for any magazine you make unless you have any grade of Dealers or Collectors Licence, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 05 Mar 2019, 6:08 pm

Good point, No1Mk3.

Capacity had slipped my mind.

Good catch :thumbsup:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KoalaGrundle » 06 Mar 2019, 8:52 am

Wasn't sure if this was better here or in the gun smithing category. Anyhoo

VICHunter wrote:making one. It's just a plastic/metal box really.

I'm more interested in making it a commercial venture / hobby. I don't know that there's that much demand to do it full time. And while I agree it's not much more than a box even the shell of a magazine is considered a restricted import!

No1Mk3 wrote:restriction on capacity

Yeah, from what I've read it's 10 for center fire and 15 for rimfire in Vic. At least on an A/B licence. Haven't had much call to read up on C/D etc

If I wanted to make different / higher capacity for people in other states (not Vic (or at least I havn't read up enough about C/D licences yet) would a Victoria Dealers licence be the way to go?

Ultimately I would run all this past Mr Plod but I thought I'd pick your brains first
KoalaGrundle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Archie » 06 Mar 2019, 9:13 am

KoalaGrundle wrote:Wasn't sure if this was better here or in the gun smithing category. Anyhoo

VICHunter wrote:making one. It's just a plastic/metal box really.

I'm more interested in making it a commercial venture / hobby. I don't know that there's that much demand to do it full time. And while I agree it's not much more than a box even the shell of a magazine is considered a restricted import!

No1Mk3 wrote:restriction on capacity

Yeah, from what I've read it's 10 for center fire and 15 for rimfire in Vic. At least on an A/B licence. Haven't had much call to read up on C/D etc

If I wanted to make different / higher capacity for people in other states (not Vic (or at least I havn't read up enough about C/D licences yet) would a Victoria Dealers licence be the way to go?

Ultimately I would run all this past Mr Plod but I thought I'd pick your brains first

I believe the magazine size restrictions are fairly consistent between states for Cat A and Cat B. I think in NSW, if you have a Cat D for pest control you can apply for bigger magazines but without an additional permit, but otherwise are restricted to 5 rounds in a semi-auto. Not sure how hard it is to get that extra permit once you already have a Cat D licence though.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 Mar 2019, 6:06 pm

Archie wrote:
KoalaGrundle wrote:Yeah, from what I've read it's 10 for center fire and 15 for rimfire in Vic. At least on an A/B licence. Haven't had much call to read up on C/D etc

I believe the magazine size restrictions are fairly consistent between states for Cat A and Cat B. I think in NSW, if you have a Cat D for pest control you can apply for bigger magazines but without an additional permit, but otherwise are restricted to 5 rounds in a semi-auto. Not sure how hard it is to get that extra permit once you already have a Cat D licence though.

A dealer's licence would be an astronomical investment just to manufacture some magazines. Maybe just manufacture 10rd mags that are full size, but blocked. Then once sold into a state without restriction the owners can unblock them.
No mag capacity limits in SA, and I think WA.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by KoalaGrundle » 07 Mar 2019, 9:38 am

bladeracer wrote:
A dealer's licence would be an astronomical investment just to manufacture some magazines. Maybe just manufacture 10rd mags that are full size, but blocked. Then once sold into a state without restriction the owners can unblock them.
No mag capacity limits in SA, and I think WA.

After reading up on requirements to become a dealer yes you are correct on that!
I will start off with some 5-10rd ones and see how I go, no doubt I'll be back soon asking why they don't feed properly :lol:
KoalaGrundle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Mar 2019, 9:39 pm

KoalaGrundle wrote:After reading up on requirements to become a dealer yes you are correct on that!
I will start off with some 5-10rd ones and see how I go, no doubt I'll be back soon asking why they don't feed properly :lol:

Yep, I've made some myself.
Easy to make them, a nightmare getting them to run reliably!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Nigel » 09 Mar 2019, 12:23 am

Manufacturing "firearm parts" is an offence pursuant to s59A of the Firearms Act. 'Firearm part' does not appear to be a defined term. If a magazine is considered a 'firearm part' then manufacturing them in Victoria is an offence unless you have a dealers licence.

In NSW this is definitely an offence. The definition of 'firearm part' in the Firearms Act includes 'magazine' and manufacturing firearm parts without a licence or permit to do so in an offence. People have been charged for manufacturing magazines in NSW.
Nigel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 09 Mar 2019, 6:48 am

As above. This is one of those times where ya don't want to take the word of a forum due to the possible consequences if it's not legal. Id be double checking with the firearms branch and getting a response in writing before proceeding. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 09 Mar 2019, 7:10 am

Good luck with the venture if you find it legal and go ahead with it.
I too have made a magazine in the past to replace one that was lost. There is more to it than meets the eye. The box is easy. Fit and function is another matter. I believe there is a market but you would need the actual rifle for the fit and function part. You invest a lot of time and resources into "one of " manufacture.
Enjoy
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2019, 11:51 am

Nigel wrote:Manufacturing "firearm parts" is an offence pursuant to s59A of the Firearms Act. 'Firearm part' does not appear to be a defined term. If a magazine is considered a 'firearm part' then manufacturing them in Victoria is an offence unless you have a dealers licence.

In NSW this is definitely an offence. The definition of 'firearm part' in the Firearms Act includes 'magazine' and manufacturing firearm parts without a licence or permit to do so in an offence. People have been charged for manufacturing magazines in NSW.

My understanding is that only the receiver is a firearm part in Victoria, everything else is unregulated. Anybody can own magazines, barrels, bolts, etc without a firearm licence.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 09 Mar 2019, 11:52 am

But what happens when he starts selling it interstate
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2019, 11:57 am

Nigel wrote:Manufacturing "firearm parts" is an offence pursuant to s59A of the Firearms Act. 'Firearm part' does not appear to be a defined term. If a magazine is considered a 'firearm part' then manufacturing them in Victoria is an offence unless you have a dealers licence.

Yes, NSW is virtually North Korean when it comes to modifying your personal property.
Anything can be interpreted to be "part of a firearm", including screws, washers, o-rings, even a length of rope if used as a sling.
In actuality, firearm parts are only those parts dedicated to doing what firearms do, fire ammunition - in NSW that includes the receiver, bolt, barrel and possibly the magazine. Also the trigger group I think in NSW?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2019, 12:30 pm

Ziad wrote:But what happens when he starts selling it interstate

It would be the same as selling anything interstate, it would have to comply with the laws in that state.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MortarArt » 20 Apr 2019, 3:53 pm

Ok, so my understanding of this, is that the legislation is as clear as mud. So you would want to ask someone who is either familiar with case law, or have some kind of written instruction from the licensing and regulation division.

The following legislation states:

S. 59A(3) inserted by No. 2/2018 s. 19(2).

(3) A person must not possess any firearm part for the purpose of manufacturing—

(a) a category A or category B longarm or a paintball marker; or

(b) any part for a category A or category B longarm or a paintball marker—

unless that person does so under and in accordance with a licence issued under this Part.

Penalty: 600 penalty units or 5 years imprisonment.

The section of legislation is related directly to holding, and utilising a dealer's license, so what this means, so far as I understand it, is police allege you hold a part for a firearm, for the "purpose of manufacturing", and you are not a dealer, you are committing an offence.

What this legislation appears to be designed for, is where someone might have the necessary components to produce a firearm, but no registration for said firearm. However what I seriously fear it implies, is that if you have any single item that could reasonable be assembled in conjunction with an existing whole (even registered) firearm, you could be seen to "possess any firearm part for the purpose of manufacturing".

Clearly, this is a broader concern for the general community, as I'd imagine a large group of you have attached or detached some item from your firearm, that may or may not have been originally included with it. Whether or not you fabricated that item.
MortarArt
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 24 Apr 2019, 8:46 pm

Yes, a grey area and as clear as mud. For example suppose one was to set up a registered business as "Joe Blogs Manufacturing" and sub out to others, the manufacturing off components - floor-plates, "W" springs, mag. followers and "JBM" stamped out the out actual magazine shell/body.
When does a mag become a mag?
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 24 Apr 2019, 9:36 pm

I thought it was 10 for both centre and rimfire detachable magazines.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Dabi » 25 Apr 2019, 12:47 am

Wombat wrote:I thought it was 10 for both centre and rimfire detachable magazines.

You can grab these rugers bolt actions that comes with a standard 15 round magazine at like any store where I live
https://www.gunemporium.com.au/product/ ... ire-rifle/
large capacity fully auto military style assault flintlock
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Apr 2019, 2:05 am

Wombat wrote:I thought it was 10 for both centre and rimfire detachable magazines.

Fifteen rounds for rimfire rifles in Victoria.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws