sharing part of a safe

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

sharing part of a safe

Post by Jon79 » 07 Mar 2019, 11:32 pm

ok might be a dumb question...but though I'd check with you guys

upgraded to a bigger safe today, I only use the gun storage part and keep my ammo separate in another lock box....the new safe has a large ammo lock box section on top of the safe (the old safe had it inside) anyway as I don't use this section the wife who is unlicensed has asked if she could have the key to the top ammo compartment only to store some of her stuff to keep it safe, eg cash, jewellery, documents etc

now I don't see an issue as she still has no access to my rifles or ammo, just a compartment on top of the safe, but then you never know when it comes to a knit picking cop etc who might say she shouldn't have any access to part of the safe (common sense isn't that common anymore)
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: sharing part of a safe

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2019, 12:42 am

Jon79 wrote:ok might be a dumb question...but though I'd check with you guys

upgraded to a bigger safe today, I only use the gun storage part and keep my ammo separate in another lock box....the new safe has a large ammo lock box section on top of the safe (the old safe had it inside) anyway as I don't use this section the wife who is unlicensed has asked if she could have the key to the top ammo compartment only to store some of her stuff to keep it safe, eg cash, jewellery, documents etc

now I don't see an issue as she still has no access to my rifles or ammo, just a compartment on top of the safe, but then you never know when it comes to a knit picking cop etc who might say she shouldn't have any access to part of the safe (common sense isn't that common anymore)

As long as it's external it should be fine.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Mar 2019, 2:37 am

If she can't access firearms would be OK IMO
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bazooker » 08 Mar 2019, 6:37 am

Seeing as it is external, I reckon you should be OK as well.

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Mar 2019, 7:33 am

But where will you stash all ya gold if she takes the top compartment? :problem:

2019-03-08 07.54.15.png
2019-03-08 07.54.15.png (144.86 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chappo » 08 Mar 2019, 7:56 am

Can’t see why not.
Just make sure that when the cops come to do an inspection you’ve got nothing in there with the wife’s stuff. Ammo obviously but i wouldn’t even store empty magazines, bolts, scopes, etc.

My wife asked the same question about storing money.
I said you’ve gotta have money to be able to store it :lol:
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 08 Mar 2019, 8:04 am

That sounds like a great opportunity for the "Honey, I'm sure it will be fine, but just to be on the safe side, isn't it about time you got your licence too?" conversation.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Mar 2019, 1:06 pm

Why would they look in there? And how would they know your wife has access to it unless you told them, not that it matters anyway as there's nothing firearm related in it and I assume it has a separate key that only unlocks the ammo compartment and not the safe with firearms in it?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bilko » 10 Mar 2019, 7:14 am

Assuming like BFS, that this is essentially a 2 part safe, with separate keys for each part, and there is no “master” key which opens both doors, then at law it is arguable that your wife has no access to the firearms and therefore you are not breaching the law.

That is my interpretation of the Queensland law, and I don’t think the law in your State is radically different - on this aspect.
Bilko
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to New South Wales gun laws