anybody had their licence approved with a mental illness?

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

anybody had their licence approved with a mental illness?

Post by Sonnyjim » 10 Mar 2019, 7:44 pm

Hey guys, I understand that this can be a bit of a personal question but i am wondering if anybody could share there experiences with acquiring a firearms licence with a mental illness. I have been looking at getting my firearms licence for years now but I have been diagnosed with type 1 bipolar disorder, from what I have read i see that you generally need a written letter saying that you are not a threat to yourself or anybody else and i was wondering i guess how hard these are to get, I mean are most doctors/psychiatrist happy to write these? I have never been a danger to anyone nor have i ever self harmed or anything so I don't see a problem with me getting one. I just want to know what my chances of being approved is before I start spending the money. cheers for any help guys. :drinks:
Sonnyjim
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: anybody had their licence approved with a mental illness

Post by Download » 10 Mar 2019, 9:46 pm

You may want to speak to a lawyer familiar with firearms law first (contact the SA Bar, they'll be able to point you to someone). There's a chance you'll have to fight SAPOL if they reject you.

You'll also probably want to shop around for psychiatrists. Quite a few are likely going to knee jerk and not hear you out. A lawyer who has done this before may even be able to point you in the right direction.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Mar 2019, 9:49 pm

Sonnyjim wrote:Hey guys, I understand that this can be a bit of a personal question but i am wondering if anybody could share there experiences with acquiring a firearms licence with a mental illness. I have been looking at getting my firearms licence for years now but I have been diagnosed with type 1 bipolar disorder, from what I have read i see that you generally need a written letter saying that you are not a threat to yourself or anybody else and i was wondering i guess how hard these are to get, I mean are most doctors/psychiatrist happy to write these? I have never been a danger to anyone nor have i ever self harmed or anything so I don't see a problem with me getting one. I just want to know what my chances of being approved is before I start spending the money. cheers for any help guys. :drinks:

If you are undergoing treatment you will need a letter from your doctor. It is entirely down to your doctor so he's the guy you need to talk to. If he says no then you can try finding a new doctor, but I doubt anybody is going to write such a letter unless he's been treating you for a long period.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 10 Mar 2019, 10:45 pm

If you are undergoing treatment you will need a letter from your doctor. It is entirely down to your doctor so he's the guy you need to talk to. If he says no then you can try finding a new doctor, but I doubt anybody is going to write such a letter unless he's been treating you for a long period.

As stated but my bet is most Dr will not give you a letter if you should go of the rails Hes going to be in deep and most will not commit for that you age will be a factor too and your last physocit eppisode, if you have ever had one and if the police were ever involved in an eppisode ever I would forget it
ever thought of fishing
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 10 Mar 2019, 11:19 pm

IF you have been diagnosed with this problem, and IF you doctor has prescribed a medication to correct the malady, is there an ongoing and continued problem? I guess there could be if you failed to take that medication.
But, IF s/he is unwilling to vouch for your well-being, have they really prescribed what is supposed to be in your best interest?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sonnyjim » 10 Mar 2019, 11:59 pm

pomemax wrote:If you are undergoing treatment you will need a letter from your doctor. It is entirely down to your doctor so he's the guy you need to talk to. If he says no then you can try finding a new doctor, but I doubt anybody is going to write such a letter unless he's been treating you for a long period.

As stated but my bet is most Dr will not give you a letter if you should go of the rails Hes going to be in deep and most will not commit for that you age will be a factor too and your last physocit eppisode, if you have ever had one and if the police were ever involved in an eppisode ever I would forget it
ever thought of fishing

thanks for the reply, I have never had any psychotic episodes and have never had a run in with the police for anything, not even a speeding ticket. As for undergoing treatment I do not have to see or speak to anyone I am just on prescription medication to chill me out basically.
Just wanted to know if there is anyone out there that has been approved after going through all the extra paperwork. thanks again :)
Sonnyjim
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 11 Mar 2019, 4:51 am

G'day Sonnyjim,
I can only speak for Victoria, but believe the same attitude prevails in SA. I have several friends on medication, 3 for Bi-Polar, and 2 for Depression, who have Shooters Licences. All have Medical Certificates and they have never been refused such. Despite the bull from the AMA, quite a number of Health Professionals are involved in the shooting sports, in my own club we have Doctors, Dentists, Nurses, a Pathologist and 2 Psychologists. Consult your Doctor, and Good Luck.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Mar 2019, 11:18 am

I wonder what illnesses would prevent getting a lic? Any ideas?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by hzj80 » 11 Mar 2019, 12:25 pm

Your GP is able to write a letter that will satisfy the requirement. That's where I'd start if I were you.
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 11 Mar 2019, 1:56 pm

I smell a rat
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Mar 2019, 2:06 pm

Your too close to parliment house AZZA
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 11 Mar 2019, 2:22 pm

I know a bloke who suffers depression, he has his licence for longarm and handgun (Vic) :drinks:
he is on medication and has to do the doctor letter/checkup update thing occasionally but he gets to do his shooting
give it a try :thumbsup: and good luck with it :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 11 Mar 2019, 2:41 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I wonder what illnesses would prevent getting a lic? Any ideas?

schizophrenia, certain cases of ptsd, a person who has had a stroke, bad bipolar disorders, even to the point of depression and anxiety also personality disorders. people with autism aswell. i would say anything that impares your thought process. also dementia theres so many variables of different types of mental illness take your pick i guess. :crazy:
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by MJW380 » 11 Mar 2019, 4:22 pm

Azza might be on to something. Next thing you know the anti’s will come out saying licences are being issued to people with a diagnosed mental illness. Or am I being paranoid?
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 11 Mar 2019, 5:09 pm

MJW380 wrote:Azza might be on to something. Next thing you know the anti’s will come out saying licences are being issued to people with a diagnosed mental illness. Or am I being paranoid?

Yes. Well, not with regard to the antis', they'll skew anything. But look, if there isn't a mechanism for people with treated illnesses to keep their licenses then people will continue to avoid treatment to avoid losing their licence. And an untreated mental illness is a tragedy waiting to happen with or without a firearm. Anything that encourages people to access mental health professionals is a good idea.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sonnyjim » 11 Mar 2019, 5:43 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Sonnyjim,
I can only speak for Victoria, but believe the same attitude prevails in SA. I have several friends on medication, 3 for Bi-Polar, and 2 for Depression, who have Shooters Licences. All have Medical Certificates and they have never been refused such. Despite the bull from the AMA, quite a number of Health Professionals are involved in the shooting sports, in my own club we have Doctors, Dentists, Nurses, a Pathologist and 2 Psychologists. Consult your Doctor, and Good Luck.

Thanks mate this is exactly what I needed to hear! I will definitely go through the hassle and become a licenced shooter. Thanks everyone (:
Sonnyjim
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 11 Mar 2019, 6:54 pm

Even just Depression is grounds for not being issued a license. Any mental health issues which you must declare will preclude you from having a license. That is until you can have medical professionals write letters stating that you are a fit and proper person.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Mar 2019, 2:49 am

sungazer wrote:Even just Depression is grounds for not being issued a license. Any mental health issues which you must declare will preclude you from having a license. That is until you can have medical professionals write letters stating that you are a fit and proper person.

The problem as I’ve personally witnessed, is that many diseases of the mind are somewhat speculative and made from opinion - within a self sustaining medical industry...I recall several years ago now - after my 9th knee operation, I spat the dummy and lost my temper in rehab when it collapsed on me again. Inside a couple hours I’m diagnosed with depression and handed a script for SSRIs.
Thus a dance commenced between psychologists, psychiatrists, various pharmaceuticals - with the ultimate realisation by the medical field that I was probably just frustrated and angry at the time...I know I’m far from alone with crap like this. Kids that used to just be energetic little nuggets are now diagnosed as having adhd...which would probably preclude a firearms licence. It’s a minefield.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 12 Mar 2019, 4:37 am

TassieTiger wrote:
sungazer wrote:Even just Depression is grounds for not being issued a license. Any mental health issues which you must declare will preclude you from having a license. That is until you can have medical professionals write letters stating that you are a fit and proper person.

The problem as I’ve personally witnessed, is that many diseases of the mind are somewhat speculative and made from opinion - within a self sustaining medical industry...I recall several years ago now - after my 9th knee operation, I spat the dummy and lost my temper in rehab when it collapsed on me again. Inside a couple hours I’m diagnosed with depression and handed a script for SSRIs.
Thus a dance commenced between psychologists, psychiatrists, various pharmaceuticals - with the ultimate realisation by the medical field that I was probably just frustrated and angry at the time...I know I’m far from alone with crap like this. Kids that used to just be energetic little nuggets are now diagnosed as having adhd...which would probably preclude a firearms licence. It’s a minefield.

Yup, the “health “ system can be really quick to put people on medication for anything these days. To some doctors it’s all about patient turnover and money. As you say taz it’s frightening how fast doctors can be to put kids on drugs these days for just about anything. Instead of being spoken too , just put them on a antidepressant. Abuse of persription medications is probably more widespread than is being reported. Wether or not someone is fit for a firearms license is up to the treating doctors assessment I would say .
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 12 Mar 2019, 6:11 am

This is true. And in NSW it does not have to be a current condition either...the licence application form states "have you in NSW or elsewhere EVER attempted suicide or self harm, or in the past 12 months been referred to or treated for alcoholism, drug dependence, or a mental or nervous disorder or illness?"

I was treated in my teens and early 20s for issues which came to a head due to abuse in childhood...this was more than 30 years ago and I am completely recovered with nil chance of relapse, yet I had to spend 3 months looking for a psychiatrist who would be prepared to see me and write a report for FAR, attesting to my competence to hold a licence when it came up for renewal (the rules necessitating a doctor's report had changed in the 5 years since I'd originally got licensed).

Finally found one who was possibly the only doc in Sydney prepared to do so. He wrote a glowing report which was accepted by the Registry...however it did cost me $900 for that hour consult & report fee.

I am not looking forward to going through that expense and ordeal again this year when my renewal comes due, particularly when so I hear anyone marking that question as 'yes' on the online Service NSW form is getting an automatic knockback, or at least freeze on your licence.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 12 Mar 2019, 7:45 am

That situation sux zhuk. I suppose the law is for the best intentions, but from what you’ve described of your personal situation it doesn’t seem just . I wonder how many police and military personnel are running around armed with undiagnosed PTSD ? They are probably reluctant to report it , because it might mean their job
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Mar 2019, 8:44 am

bigrich wrote:That situation sux zhuk. I suppose the law is for the best intentions, but from what you’ve described of your personal situation it doesn’t seem just . I wonder how many police and military personnel are running around armed with undiagnosed PTSD ? They are probably reluctant to report it , because it might mean their job

Big point right there Rich - I reckon there would be a very high %. Even attending a horrible road accident mandates a trip to the internal psych who is often booked out for periods of time (I know a bike cop) - does that waiting time then mean the person is / should be considered “undiagnosed” for a period of time...therefore not fit to carry?
Interesting brain food.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 12 Mar 2019, 9:18 am

Yeh taz, when I was young my father was a cop, saw a lot of horrible stuff. It did change him as a person. He left that and went over to the fire brigade . Still saw some horrible stuff, but at least he didn’t have people trying to assault and abuse him. I think we should all spare a thought for military and emergency personnel, and how the government lets them down at times
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Bill » 12 Mar 2019, 12:34 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I wonder what illnesses would prevent getting a lic? Any ideas?

I know drug addiction can lead to the removal of one's license and I could imagine it could prevent it.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 12 Mar 2019, 5:57 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I smell a rat

+1
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 13 Mar 2019, 1:40 am

bigrich wrote:That situation sux zhuk. I suppose the law is for the best intentions, but from what you’ve described of your personal situation it doesn’t seem just . I wonder how many police and military personnel are running around armed with undiagnosed PTSD ? They are probably reluctant to report it , because it might mean their job

Excellent point, and its not like the level of support is particularly stellar in some cases if people do report, which would also increase the reluctance significantly.

And yes I think that individual circumstances could be taken into account a bit more, for things like in my case re licence renewals. I am a qualified handgun and longarm RO, have competed internationally and have references from the committees of both my pistol and rifle clubs, and have to go through this every 5 years all because I categorically refused to lie on a Govt document when first obtaining my licence (because NSWPOL and NSW Health databases are not automatically linked, the Registry cannot know of your past history unless you self report) I think individual dispensation could be given in such cases.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by booomr » 17 Mar 2019, 1:29 pm

Okay, here goes. I have depression and anxiety, diagnosed by a psychiatrist, have had medication for a considerable amount of time, and have a firearms licence and a .223 sitting in the safe, with more to come. The process was a bit time consuming, but not overly difficult. The main thing they are concerned about is if you are going to be a danger to yourself and others when you have access to a weapon.

In Victoria, the requirement is that you have a form filled out by a GP or psychiatrist that has been treating you for 12 months or more - it stops you just going in to a walk in clinic and getting the form filled out. In my case, when I went to my GP (who I've seen for approximately 4 years), he referred me directly to my psychiatrist who I've been seeing for a similar amount of time for assessment. The main areas they covered were my history of self harm (I have never had any intentions of harming myself) and any tendencies towards that, or harm towards others, or animals (as in, being un-naturally cruel to them, not just going out into a paddock and shooting a bunny).

The biggest advice I can give is to be honest and up front - the last thing you would want to do is try to hide it and have them find out that there is an issue, and ultimately, you will have to accept their ultimate decision, as it will come down to a case by case basis, with a big influencing factor being your GP's opinion on your suitability to hold a licence, and be issued with a weapon.

Good luck.
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
Dickinson T1000 12g Synthetic 28"
Bergara B14 Ridge .308 in McMillan TACA3
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Mar 2019, 7:36 am

20% of all the ppl I know have/had depression anxiety and most of those have been on medication...BUT I know a few ppl who take anti depressants but don’t align themselves as having depression (I think it might be denial)...I wonder what their answers would be on a firearm application...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by sungazer » 18 Mar 2019, 8:44 am

With these new health records that are available to "Government Agencies that have a need" it may not be long before people on a certain medication may be refused a license. A bit far fetched we will see it may be a few years down the track.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Mar 2019, 8:48 am

Good point ^!!!!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to South Australian gun laws