And just like that all my guns were seized by police

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: And just like that all my guns were seized by police

Post by JSS » 17 Mar 2019, 11:30 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:
JSS wrote:
Ziad wrote:Well NSW just going to pass laws for a 2 year trial,
where if you have a drug conviction in the last 10 years cops do not need a warrant to search your house

I find it pretty hard to believe that one will get passed, not even for the trail period. It sounds like a bit of "tough on crime" pre election BS.
It's far too open to abuse and misuse to ever get through.

The appearance regulations had no trouble getting through, if they can get bullsh!t like that to stand up, who knows what they can get away with?

Yes but that applies to those nasty evil guns. This new one is infringing on the rights of those poor innocent helpless druggies.

It will also be a stepping stone to open the gate, if the drug one gets passed, it will be followed by any crime in the past 10 years, then it will be any infringement at all, and last of all the need for a warrant being no longer needed at all. Checkmate we're all farked!!
It may sound like i have my tin foil hat on but that's the way it works, they use baby steps to get to their end game.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 17 Mar 2019, 12:12 pm

No foil hat needed to have a healthy mistrust of political knee-jerkers JSS.

That's exactly how they look at things.

I heard an interview last night with an NZ anti-gun panic merchant calling for a total ban on all guns from civilian hands. His claim that the only thing guns are good for is killing people is a perfect example of how hyperbolic they will get to push their agenda.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 17 Mar 2019, 1:33 pm

where if you have a drug conviction in the last 10 years cops do not need a warrant to search your house

It’s not the elected officials who come up with this stuff. It is the unelected public officials, in this case the police. The police advise the the minister on what they want, and what they want is total control of the citizenry. Right now the NZ police will be advising the government over there that ordinary citizens should not have access to semi auto firearms, but will the police be willing to give up their own hoarde of these guns? Hell no, they’re probably saying we need more of them and more coppers trained in there use. It’s all about control.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Mar 2019, 1:48 pm

Funny you say that, vic police are getting a few hundred semi auto rifles for specially trained general duty cops.

I think nothing looks more cooler than police with ak47 or m5 on every intersection
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by 2freeq » 17 Mar 2019, 7:35 pm

to answer the question about how he got my contact info, It was given to him as part of a Family and Community Services decision my wife and I are to supervise contact between him and his kids. So he needs to contact me if he is unable to attend and i need to contact him to make sure he is going to show up so we dont have a no show. It has been like this for a couple of years now and there hasnt been a problem until he started on the heavy drugs again.

Because i am the carer of his kids is the reason it falls under the "domestic" label because its form of extended family. i tried to question if this was a personal violence matter but it's not.

I had no idea they were seizing my guns when i invited the cops into my home, Refusing to comply would be a wasted effort if they are going to get a warrant and take them anyway. By actually complying and listening to them, i ended up having the licensing officers personally thanking me for not giving them a hard time and hopefully this favour is returned when i apply to get my guns back and they dont give me a hard time.

I was informed by a solicitor this is standard practice in NSW and the cops acted well within their rights. He also advised me to learn from this and tell them nothing in the future which i believe is the lesson to be learnt here.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rossfrb » 17 Mar 2019, 8:28 pm

From https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/as ... olence.pdf
Page 46 under section "Searching for and seizing firearms and other weapons" paragraph 3
"Regardless of whether the firearm was used or not in the act of a domestic violence offence, police must seize any firearms that either party involved in the incident has access to. "

Paragraph 1 includes "...If a domestic violence offence is being, may have recently been committed or is imminent" So it may be that the police were following SOP.
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Patriot » 17 Mar 2019, 8:40 pm

‘We don’t need a bill of rights in Australia, our parliamentary system protects us’ I remember a politician saying this once. This is the biggest infringement on individual liberty that I can remember in Australia. Why do we as Australians continue to tolerate it. People in Australia bag the USA,but this can’t happen there,see below

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things ...

4 th Amendment
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 18 Mar 2019, 4:24 am

Patriot wrote:

‘We don’t need a bill of rights in Australia, our parliamentary system protects us’ I remember a politician saying this once. This is the biggest infringement on individual liberty that I can remember in Australia. Why do we as Australians continue to tolerate it. People in Australia bag the USA,but this can’t happen there,see below

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things ...

4 th Amendment

Although the Patriot Act does kinda do away with that, to a certain extent.

Australians are politically apathetic; it makes sense to me in a deeply unconscious historical context where the jailed had no power over their jailers, but could only complain and take the piss between themselves. Our govts still have this mindset of convict - warden imo and consider the population must be told what is good for them, as your conversation demonstrated. If this was France, people would be burning down arrondisements lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Mar 2019, 10:43 am

In the context of horrible mass shootings...I think the USA leads the way to a point beyond sanity.
I sleep better knowing that my kids are 99.9999% safe at school - that might be a little lower if I lived in the USA...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by No1_49er » 18 Mar 2019, 11:16 am

I appreciate that some people do not like Wikipedia too much, but some of the information that is available there is from official sources. Dispute them if you must.
Here are a couple of links to some of the worlds worst massacres, and school massacres.
Note that the very worst were committed by the State, or that those in schools are not necessarily worse in the US.
You can adjust the column filters in these links to best suit your search criteria.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_e ... _massacres
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... death_toll
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 18 Mar 2019, 11:37 am

TassieTiger wrote:In the context of horrible mass shootings...I think the USA leads the way to a point beyond sanity.
I sleep better knowing that my kids are 99.9999% safe at school - that might be a little lower if I lived in the USA...

The US has a problem with morality, not guns. Take away all their guns and they'd still be murdering each other en-masse.

But the actual overall murder rates aren't exactly ridiculous considering the size of their population. The murder rates in very specific enclaves are horrendous, but again, is not driven by firearms. If they simply walled these areas off and allowed them to wipe themselves out the problem would quickly resolve itself.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 18 Mar 2019, 11:58 am

bladeracer wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:In the context of horrible mass shootings...I think the USA leads the way to a point beyond sanity.

The US has a problem with morality, not guns. Take away all their guns and they'd still be murdering each other en-masse.

But the actual overall murder rates aren't exactly ridiculous considering the size of their population. The murder rates in very specific enclaves are horrendous, but again, is not driven by firearms. If they simply walled these areas off and allowed them to wipe themselves out the problem would quickly resolve itself.

There is a strange duality in the morality in the US.
There is a veritable cornucopia of violence on tv and film, but they pixelate out butt cracks and beep out the word goddamn.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Mar 2019, 12:03 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:There is a strange duality in the morality in the US.
There is a veritable cornucopia of violence on tv and film, but they pixelate out butt cracks and beep out the word goddamn.

That's because of their warped view of Christianity.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Mar 2019, 12:22 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Do you work for the NRA? Lol - joke.
Your probably right. But there was a period where shootings were almost glorified on a weekly basis - especially during the later Obama administration...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Mar 2019, 1:57 pm

What I meant was by removing Saddam the dictator they created a power vacuum, (similarly in Syria) the instability has caused nefarious agents to suddenly be able to do what they wanted without anyone stopping them as the occupying forces were too busy looting Saddam's I'll gotten riches and divvying up the oil wells and rebuilding contracts.

Even Tony Blair is on record admitting the were no WMD and the pieces of Intel they based their decision to invade Iraq, they knew them to be unreliable.

But maybe the media that reported all that was just reporting fake news....I dunno man. Mate I could reply with proof but you just gonna say fake news...so how about we talk about something else (as it is the other thread got banned when I brought proof to the table, not from Breitbart type websites but real newspapers)
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 18 Mar 2019, 3:17 pm

Try actually doing a little research ziad before ya get on ya horse. Now I may be wrong about Islamic state fair enough but iraq DID have chemical weapons until shortly before the coalition force invaded and had used them on his own people killing thousands.of.innocent kurds (chemical weapons ARE WMDS) they also had a biological weapons program cant remember the name of the bloke running it but he was known as the iraqi dr death.
And those planes that were flown into the trade towers on osamas orders that wasn't f$4kin fake mate that's why the Americans went into Afghanistan after the taliban refused to hand the scumbag over.
Funny how the only one referring to fake news is you Ziad or is that just me being a racist middle aged white aussie.
:unknown:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Mar 2019, 5:40 pm

Nah i dissagree Tigs infighting helps noboby because its all negetive and only opinions at risk it would do more harm to the anti's
to lock onto opinions only be it infighting or BS from their own mouths even though the anti's are entitled to their opinions although
its best they get it right with the truth rather than BS like the usual
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Mar 2019, 6:12 pm

Above all the planes didn't help just my opinion
Member-Deleted

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 25 Mar 2019, 6:41 pm

OBL is just like one of a hundred snakes that America bred and left in the wild..... only issue is that this snake came back to bite them... nothing to do with religion.

And please don't tell me otherwise unless you have extensive firsthand knowledge of the religion or you are a theological professor
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Mar 2019, 9:49 pm

So from what I am reading on here, given that under NSW law, if you are threatened, the police can seize your firearms and suspend your license, what is the case if you are a victim of an assault, I am wondering if the same circumstances apply?
Member-Deleted

Post by brett1868 » 25 Mar 2019, 10:11 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:So from what I am reading on here, given that under NSW law, if you are threatened, the police can seize your firearms and suspend your license, what is the case if you are a victim of an assault, I am wondering if the same circumstances apply?

As the victim they can only be seized if deemed domestic violence so if assaulted by a non family member then you'd be fine.... :allegedly:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Mar 2019, 10:14 pm

My assumption is the guns were taken because there was a threat toward someone at that address (not sayin it's right) so then they were taken incase there was a confrontation in the future at that address (if whats been said the police could have done it a little better and explained the situation) i don't know the exact law but i thought police had to have a warrant to enter a house if not invited other than actual violence is under way or apprehension of a wanted person by you giving them without paperwork and no warrant as what was said earlier they probably have said you gave the guns to them this could work for you or against you (1) it could take very little to get them back or (2) against you they have your guns and it may take forever to get them back and may be they will flag you as a gun owner maybe not either way it has cost you and will cost you more to finalise it all my sympathy to you mate
Member-Deleted

Post by 2freeq » 26 Mar 2019, 8:24 am

brett1868 wrote:
Member-Deleted6 wrote:So from what I am reading on here, given that under NSW law, if you are threatened, the police can seize your firearms and suspend your license, what is the case if you are a victim of an assault, I am wondering if the same circumstances apply?

As the victim they can only be seized if deemed domestic violence so if assaulted by a non family member then you'd be fine.... :allegedly:

Yes this is true, If this bloke wasn't related to the foster kids we have in our care or anyone else in my household then my guns would not have been seized.

The police were invited into my home to do a statement and put the threat on record but once they were inside and took the statement the conversation turned into a debate about my guns.

I could have told them to get a warrant but whats the point in delaying it? They would have had a warrant within the hour and taken them anyway. Instead after they made it clear the guns would be seized regardless due it being a domestic situation and i had a better understanding of why they had to be seized I elected to comply. the result of this was the attending officers telling the licensing sergeant that i was cooperative and understanding. The licensing Sergeant then personally thanked me for not making things harder than they have to be and hopefully this leads to some positive karma and them making the return of my guns an easier process. It is the licensing sergeant who does the investigation as to wether he believes the guns should be reinstated so being on his good side can only be a positive thing. The police have a job to do, the same as a CEO or a janitor, Why make someones life harder than it has to be for the same result. i don't s**t on the bathroom floor just to make the janitor "work for it" so i wont do the same for the police or anyone else.

on a positive side today marks the halfway mark to apply to get them back!!! woohoo. Hoping to have them back for the 4 day weekend next month.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Mar 2019, 1:10 pm

So your message is still '' If you want to keep your guns don't tell the police anything' ?
Member-Deleted

Post by 2freeq » 26 Mar 2019, 2:25 pm

So your message is still '' If you want to keep your guns don't tell the police anything' ?

Exactly.

If its domestic related you will lose your guns no matter if your the victim or the aggressor.

You find yourself in that position and you don't want to lose your guns then find some other way to defuse the situation rather than calling the police.

And hope your enemies don't figure out that it just takes one call to police saying you intimidated them , wether true or false and your guns are gone for 28 days plus investigation time. easy as that.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 26 Mar 2019, 3:39 pm

Geez, the broom got a work out in this one.

This topic is not about ISIS.
It is not about the US political policy.

All those posts deleted.

Back on track. Keep it there...
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 26 Mar 2019, 3:40 pm

2freeq wrote:And hope your enemies don't figure out that it just takes one call to police saying you intimidated them , wether true or false and your guns are gone

Enemies? :wtf:

What is this, Game Of Thrones? :lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Mar 2019, 10:31 pm

I find it hard to imagine that that was all it took to have guns taken I and my family were threatened by a neighbour they even entered my yard and stomped my garden during one of their drunkin parties i notified the police they came and delt with it in their own way but i did not have my guns taken :thumbsup: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2019, 11:05 pm

I find it hard to imagine that that was all it took to have guns taken I and my family were threatened by a neighbour they even entered my yard and stomped my garden during one of their drunkin parties i notified the police they came and delt with it in their own way but i did not have my guns taken :thumbsup: :drinks:

Unless your neighbour is related to you it would not fall under domestic violence...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Mar 2019, 11:22 pm

Thanks mate but also he children of 2freeq were foster children not related as one would put it but fair enough it just sounds strange thats all to be honest i'm thinking too much into it but my gut feeling usually proves me right most times but i'm probably wrong this time cheers
Member-Deleted

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws