And just like that all my guns were seized by police

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

And just like that all my guns were seized by police

Post by 2freeq » 13 Mar 2019, 7:26 am

Well last night was a surprise. We have foster children in our care and the kids father made one threat via text message towards me after he found out family and community services made a decision he cant see his kids due to his current mental health. My wife and i decided to report it to police and just get a record of it incase we needed to refer back to it at a later date.

An hour later 2 cop cars containing 4 cops knocked on the door and took our statement and informed us they remove firearms from all parties involved for a period of 28 days plus re-assessment time wether they are guilty or a victim. Even though i didn't say a word or even respond and he doesn't know where we live and doesn't even know we have firearms i still lose them. They said i have the option to not comply but that would result in one of the officers driving back to the station, getting a warrant and returning to seize them whilst the remaining 3 officers waited here.

I was commended on how i store my forearms with trigger locks on, clear chamber flags in and bolts, ammo and rifles stored in 3 seperate locked recepticles.

So the lesson here is if you want to keep your guns don't tell the police anything.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: And just like that all my guns were seized by police

Post by drewvale » 13 Mar 2019, 7:35 am

WOW, that's unbelievable.
drewvale
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 13 Mar 2019, 7:40 am

That's f@#ken disgraceful. Might be worth seeking some legal advice as ya have done nothing wrong . :unknown: :unknown: :unknown:
Best of luck :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by 2freeq » 13 Mar 2019, 8:38 am

Just had a follow up meeting with the licensing officers at local police station. Had to hand in my ammo also and my license is suspended. They admit i did nothing wrong and this is all "procedure". It's just bloody annoying, Now i have a firearms license suspension on my file. I've only just got my license about 6 months ago and did a 28 day cooling off period for the license, a 28 day cooling off period for my first PTA and now i have to do another 28 day cooling period because of one threat made to me via text by a bloke who doesn't know where i live or know that i even have firearms.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 13 Mar 2019, 8:53 am

On the upside, he will now find it hard to get the police to believe him if he now accuses you of threatening to shoot him.
And as you now have nothing else to lose, have you contacted the AFP?, making threats over telecommunications services is a Federal offnce.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by fishburgr » 13 Mar 2019, 8:57 am

Wow, this is so wrong.
fishburgr
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Mar 2019, 9:07 am

Unbelievable...I cannot understand this thinking. What happened to innocent until proven guilty ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 13 Mar 2019, 9:09 am

It IS a f@rken disgrace
it shows that the laws are SH!T, you get severely punished for being threatened :thumbsdown: WTF
I will not be involving the police for anything :wtf:
I hope it works out
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 13 Mar 2019, 9:15 am

Anyone know any journos that are not hostile to shooters ?????
:unknown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Mar 2019, 9:30 am

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 13 Mar 2019, 9:36 am

This is a terrible situation. The real issue for me is the lack of support for someone who has taken on the role of foster parent. What the OP hasn’t made clear is that he and his wife are a pair of outstanding people to take on this challenge. To get through the process to be approved to be foster caters is challenging. Clearly the Child Protection authorities in NSW were satisfied they are good people. It is appalling that a person who has had their children removed from their care can have this negative effect on a decent caring member of the community. My advice would be to get legal advice(at Child Protections expense if possible) before doing anything.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by hzj80 » 13 Mar 2019, 9:48 am

Did they give you any written notification stating the actual reason they've suspended your license?
hzj80
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Mar 2019, 9:59 am

As mentioned in the thread - what message does this send to legal gun owners thinking of reporting a crime...it’s insane.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by No1_49er » 13 Mar 2019, 10:26 am

I think you need to be considering engaging a good lawyer; one who knows firearms law.

Start reading from here: - https://legislation.nsw.gov.au/#/view/act/1996/46/id39 and each section going forward (22 - 25 incl.)

Unless the police are using one or other of the "get out/cover all" sub-para's, and the way you have presented the scenario, there is a great wrong being perpetrated here. A threat has been made against you, no AVO is in place or even instigated, due process may not have been followed.

Unfortunately, once the firearms have been seized and your licence cancelled/revoked, ammunition must also go because in the strict terms of law you no longer have lawful authority to have ammunition.

Find that legal representation - quickly.
Good luck, and hope the "other party" gets their comeuppance.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 13 Mar 2019, 12:23 pm

You are not the first to have this happen I have heard of a few You can stir the pot or wait 28 days and get them back .
I would be asking who give him your phone number and why he needs it.
I would be pointing out To Child Protection authorities in NSW if you still foster children how you can maintain your privacy in the future.
Please get legal advice as soon as you can and find out your rights
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Kumaabear » 13 Mar 2019, 12:49 pm

I would have been taking that refusal offer and contacting a lawyer immediately, right in front of said 3 remaining police.

There is no guarantee that the promise of returning with a warrant would have even happened, police often have no idea what the law is in such niche areas but you would expect that the guy signing warrants may well know whats allowed.

I personally think us Australians are far too quick to forfeit our rights in the face of a polite police requests and veiled threats and the police know and often count on it.

If they were coming there to seize the firearms then they should have brought a warrant, if they don't have one with them when they rock up either they are incompetent or they were not sure if a warrant would be granted and were happy to try and intimidate you into surrendering your property, perhaps both.

I would not be surprised if they have been logged in the system as voluntarily surrendered or something along those lines rather than seized for X reason.

Rocking up without a warrant to seize something, then having to "go get one" just makes no sense whatsoever.

What a joke
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Mar 2019, 1:35 pm

Kumaabear wrote: I would not be surprised if they have been logged in the system as voluntarily surrendered or something along those lines rather than seized for X reason.

Rocking up without a warrant to seize something, then having to "go get one" just makes no sense whatsoever.

I'm with you on this one Kumaabear... if they had the power under legislation to seize them in these circumstances without needing a warrant, they simply could have taken them, no need to ask for your permission or compliance and no need for a warrant.

You have just experienced first hand the application of section 101 of the Ways and Means Act (NSW)

I'll bet too their record shows you voluntarily handed them in.
Member-Deleted

Post by brett1868 » 13 Mar 2019, 2:00 pm

Lemme guess LEPRA Act Section 85, PM me and I'll give you the hilarious story of how I spent Christmas this year :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 13 Mar 2019, 2:07 pm

2freeq wrote:Just had a follow up meeting with the licensing officers at local police station. Had to hand in my ammo also and my license is suspended. They admit i did nothing wrong and this is all "procedure". It's just bloody annoying, Now i have a firearms license suspension on my file. I've only just got my license about 6 months ago and did a 28 day cooling off period for the license, a 28 day cooling off period for my first PTA and now i have to do another 28 day cooling period because of one threat made to me via text by a bloke who doesn't know where i live or know that i even have firearms.

What station? Don't worry about your file, your licence was actually seized and not suspended. You can check the status online in a few days and you'll see that it's still Valid.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 13 Mar 2019, 5:44 pm

My license was actually suspended. I had to go back there this morning and hand in my ammo too. They said its standard procedure to remove all firearms from all domestic dispute situations. I spoke to a firearms solicitor today and he has made it very clear that although its wrong, its what they do and the best course of action is to wait out the 28 days.

54434349_2381876768765420_7407996494499807232_n.jpg
54434349_2381876768765420_7407996494499807232_n.jpg (397.34 KiB) Viewed 6387 times

53525883_413084599259626_2272030853406130176_n.jpg
53525883_413084599259626_2272030853406130176_n.jpg (493.18 KiB) Viewed 6387 times
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 13 Mar 2019, 5:47 pm

In hindsight now i've gotten over the surprise and shock i do understand the logic behind removing firearms from hostile situations but this wasnt a hostile situation.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 13 Mar 2019, 5:50 pm

This is what happens if i check my license status online now.

Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 6.38.26 pm.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-13 at 6.38.26 pm.png (90.83 KiB) Viewed 6385 times
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Download » 13 Mar 2019, 6:09 pm

"Domestic violence". What a joke. These cops clearly need to go back for remedial training in what domestic violence is.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by 2freeq » 13 Mar 2019, 6:12 pm

Download wrote:"Domestic violence". What a joke. These cops clearly need to go back for remedial training in what domestic violence is.

I think thats what im pissed off at. Going off the paperwork someone who doesnt know the story (firearms registry etc etc) would interpret that as i am the offender.

Meanwhile whilst all this is happening to me the guy who created this drama has had no consequences for his actions
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 13 Mar 2019, 8:22 pm

Again this is just f@#kin disgraceful !! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 13 Mar 2019, 8:24 pm

In hindsight now i've gotten over the surprise and shock i do understand the logic behind removing firearms from hostile situations but this wasnt a hostile situation.

there's no logic behind you, the abused, being punished for being abused :thumbsdown:

"Meanwhile whilst all this is happening to me the guy who created this drama has had no consequences for his actions"

exactly :thumbsdown:

wait it out and dont ever contact them about being abused again :wtf:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 13 Mar 2019, 8:26 pm

+1 for the above post :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by 2freeq » 13 Mar 2019, 8:57 pm

Yeah i learnt a lesson today and hopefully someone else will learn from my mistake.

When a innocent law abiding firearm owner who is apparently deemed a "fit and proper person" gets punished and the drug affected criminal with multiple recent arrests and severe untreated mental health problems doesn't even get spoken to or a home visit, It's time to re-evaluate who you turn to for help. If i ever end up in a position where i need them i will have that hesitation that if i call them they will take my guns all over again.

I will play along and comply to their requests and hopefully get my firearms back after the 28 days but i will never seek their assistance again.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Mar 2019, 9:11 pm

Sucks big time.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Mar 2019, 9:31 pm

I recall in my youth, jumpingbin to help out a young lass who was getting the heck smacked out of her - only to have allegations then levelled at myself...since then, I’ve always said I’d reconsider 50/50 getting involved if presented with the same situation.
Based on this story and now as a legal fireArm owner? Never again...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Next

Return to New South Wales gun laws