Importing a 303 barrel into WA

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

Importing a 303 barrel into WA

Post by magnum012 » 16 Mar 2019, 12:38 pm

The No.1 Mk3 I got from my grampa recently looks like it needs a new barrel.

Looking down the muzzle end you can see pitted corrosion in the bore and the crown isn’t in great shape. Granmpa did tell me it shoots like s**t, but it’s got some family history so I wanted it right or wrong.
It appears that it’s a matching numbers rifle, and beside the stuffed barrel (probably from corrosive primers) it is complete and in good original condition.

Ive run some #9 down the bore a heap of times with a snake and I’m going to have a play today to see just how bad it is.
The think is I’m conflicted on what to do, I want to actually use this gun for fox shooting, and I’ve seen that Arctic Fox make a no-drill scope mount for it.

Now to the other question, I’ve seen these guys http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/no-1-mk3-enfield-barrel.aspx in Pennsylvania have new barrels with great reviews, and would like to get one before they’re all gone, what are the rules about importing and owning a spare barrel in WA, and any hiccups I might encounter along the way? Are you allowed to keep the old matching number barrel after it’s been removed? Thanks.
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Importing a 303 barrel into WA

Post by No1_49er » 16 Mar 2019, 12:47 pm

Why go to all the bother of importing a barrel? That's if you can find somebody who will actually export one to you.
They are available here in oz from T-Bone in Coogee, NSW.: - https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=107125
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2019, 1:29 pm

I'm not sure about the WA specifics but importing a barrel would start with an application for a B709 Import Permit. If they okay that then it shouldn't be a problem.

But I would do some testing to first to see how well it shoots. If it's not great then look at inherent problems that might cause it and address those, maybe even counter-boring the muzzle if required. If it's still not shooting well then just buy a locally-manufactured barrel, places do barrels with the proper military profiles.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 16 Mar 2019, 9:26 pm

No drill scope mount from Canada i got one on my no 4 longbranch works well fitted in about .5 of an hour http://addleyprecision.com/product/le4p/
good idea Tbone
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by magnum012 » 17 Mar 2019, 12:49 pm

Ok I had a shoot yesterday, I don’t think the results can be attributed solely to the rifle as there were some major variables. It was more of a “will it shoot and what’s it handle like” exercise.
For a really old gun it works well, the only things I can pick on are the safety is quite loose and engages under recoil, and it tenderised my shoulder quite well.

As for accuracy, my dad and I set up a 2ft square steel plate a little over 100m away and shot leaning over the bonnet of the farm ute. The ammo is 2 types of milsurp that my grampa gave me, which he got with the rifle when my great uncle died. One lot has AE1936 stamped on it and the other has GB 50 on it.
This stuff is old and makes it impossible to evaluate the rifle other than how it handles, dad had some wild flyers and a low powered one that hit the dirt about 40m in front of us, but he is also a hilariously crap shot so it was just a bit of fun.

I managed to get 2 inside the 2 inch bullseye, which I was happy with, considering the quite heavy crosswind.
We only shot 15 rounds.
Some rounds kicked harder than others and today my shoulder hurts, I don’t know how those poor buggers lugged these things around, then put so many rounds through them, they must have been beaten to hell.

Overall a good first run, it shoots and extracts properly, brass seems to form a quite sharper shoulder than the unfired cartridge.

Now to get some new stuff to check out accuracy.
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 17 Mar 2019, 3:55 pm

Were 303s Ackley improved? It would be good to give it a solid clean with sweets and all that good stuff then shoot some new ammo through it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by magnum012 » 31 Mar 2019, 10:48 pm

duncan61 wrote:Were 303s Ackley improved? It would be good to give it a solid clean with sweets and all that good stuff then shoot some new ammo through it

Using PPU 150gn it shoots MOA @ 50m, my eyes and the steel sights seem to be the limiting factor.
I’m going to buy a no-drill scope mount from arctic fox to mount a Sightron 3.5-10x50 on her, not sure what rings I need yet.
Not sure about the Ackley but it sure makes the brass it’s own new shape upon firing.
Slowly bringing it out of retirement. Just have to hide the costs from the Mrs ;)
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws