Transporting rifles in friends ride?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Transporting rifles in friends ride?

Post by Atter » 26 Jul 2013, 2:14 pm

Hi all,

I suspect this is ok, but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything or if there is anything I should be aware of.

I have my cat B license, no worries there. What's the story with transporting my rifle in other people vehicles?

Assuming they're driving and I'm the passenger... Any worries there as long as I don't leave it unattended?

Thanks.
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Transporting rifles in friends ride?

Post by tarnagulla » 26 Jul 2013, 3:24 pm

No different to transporting it in your own vehicle as long as you are with it, and it has been secured as well as possible (i.e. locked in the boot etc).
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusC » 26 Jul 2013, 3:28 pm

Yeah all good as long as you're with it.

Has to be you though, i.e. if you left your mate in the car at the gas station with it while you went for a slash, technically that would be giving access to an unlicensed person or whatever the legal wording is.

Like Tarnagulla said, lock it in the boot and don't go to far and it's all good.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 26 Jul 2013, 4:01 pm

Yes mate, it's fine.

Ammo in locked separate container, everything out of reach from anyone in the boot, and take the bolt out of your rifle - ready to travel.

Taking the bolt out is a bit of sticking point on this subject... I believe in some states it's mandatory to take it out while travelling where in others it's not. Either way, the police/ranger will appreciate you've taken every precaution if you're ever pulled over for some reason.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Norton » 29 Jul 2013, 9:49 am

Lorgar wrote:Taking the bolt out is a bit of sticking point on this subject... I believe in some states it's mandatory to take it out while travelling where in others it's not. Either way, the police/ranger will appreciate you've taken every precaution if you're ever pulled over for some reason.

Problem is that a lot of the cops/rangers think that is is mandatory, even in the cases where it is not.

I've read of a few people having their gear confiscated for this, then having to go through all the legal BS to explain that the bolts didn't need to be out.

If nothing else, best to travel with them out to protect yourself from authorities who don't know better.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 29 Jul 2013, 11:11 am

Norton wrote:Problem is that a lot of the cops/rangers think that is is mandatory, even in the cases where it is not.

I've read of a few people having their gear confiscated for this, then having to go through all the legal BS to explain that the bolts didn't need to be out.

If nothing else, best to travel with them out to protect yourself from authorities who don't know better.

Just goes to show how convoluted all our firearm laws are when the powers that be can't agree on what's correct either :x
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws