Gun safe which doesn't require inspection?

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Gun safe which doesn't require inspection?

Post by Grated » 26 Jul 2013, 3:12 pm

Hey guys,

So I have a bit of a hand-me-down gun-safe which is really a 'lock-box' type setup rather than a proper 'safe'.

I'm in the market for a bigger one for a new safe and want to get something bigger to a) be more secure what what's going to be a growing FA collection, and b) have some extra space for household valuables etc.

My question is, if you get some monster of a safe and the police check it off during your first inspection, do they bother coming back again?

Obviously if you've got a toolbox or something that's a bit rusty, or has a few dings etc. They might like to check every couple of years, but if you bought a bank vault (not that I am, just as example :D) would they bother coming back?

Sort of wondering if I can spend a few extra hundred to get something solid/heavy and after they inspect it once never need to bother again? As an example, I see the Spika 150kg safe is about $1,000, and the 270kg is about $1300.

Seem's like a lot more safe for $300 and would be good if it gets me in the green on the police books forever?

Cheers.
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Gun safe which doesn't require inspection?

Post by tarnagulla » 26 Jul 2013, 3:27 pm

If you are in Victoria, you are usually only checked when you first apply for a licence/permit to acquire, or when you change address.
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Grated » 26 Jul 2013, 3:35 pm

tarnagulla wrote:If you are in Victoria, you are usually only checked when you first apply for a licence/permit to acquire, or when you change address.

Thanks tarnagulla,

Yep, I expected there to be one to start with at some point, and that's fair enough. I read stuff about some people being inspected once a year, and others not having an inspection for 20 years so wasn't sure what the protocol was exactly.

Cheers.

Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by AusC » 26 Jul 2013, 3:43 pm

Hey Grated,

I can't speak for SA, but I know from past conversation with VIC firearms registry that here their computer spits out 8 names a day for random inspections.

That's what the girl on the phone told me anyways.

Pot luck I supposed whether you get inspected once a year or once per 20 years. As Tarnagulla said, you probably set off a bell somewhere when you buy a new rifle or move house, but other than that I think it's just down to chance.

No exemptions for having a better safe.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by tarnagulla » 26 Jul 2013, 6:34 pm

You are right, AusC, the girl on the phone would tell you that, because that was the policy of a previous Superintendent at Regulatory Services. However, as any Regional Firearms Officer in Victoria will tell you, it is a pipe dream - they are lucky if they can keep up with new licence/change of address inspections :)
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusC » 27 Jul 2013, 1:48 pm

Previous policy, hey?

Doesn't surprise me that they can't keep up. Vic has most gun owners in the country if I recall correctly?
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Norton » 29 Jul 2013, 9:56 am

tarnagulla wrote:You are right, AusC, the girl on the phone would tell you that, because that was the policy of a previous Superintendent at Regulatory Services. However, as any Regional Firearms Officer in Victoria will tell you, it is a pipe dream - they are lucky if they can keep up with new licence/change of address inspections :)

Queensland is the same from memory.

I believe that according to their policies all firearm storages must be inspected at least once every 5 years.

If/when you're actually going to get a safe inspection though is anyone's guess.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 29 Jul 2013, 11:15 am

tarnagulla wrote:If you are in Victoria, you are usually only checked when you first apply for a licence/permit to acquire, or when you change address.

Even that's pretty random AFAIK.

I have mates who signed up for their licenses around the same time. One got an inspection a few months later and one has never gotten an inspection.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Grated » 29 Jul 2013, 4:04 pm

Thanks all,

For the sake of a few hundred $$$ I'm going to go with the bigger option regardless. I only have to buy it once after all.

If it bought me a few less safe inspections by the police that would have just been a nice bonus :D

Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to South Australian gun laws