Queensland Collector's License and inoperable weapons.

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Queensland Collector's License and inoperable weapons.

Post by Fug » 09 Apr 2019, 8:55 pm

So I've recently applied for a collector's license in Queensland. I currently have an A&B license for sports and target shooting, so I only had the safety courses for A&B on me at the time of applying for the license. Later along the line when (or if) I receive my collector's license, complete safety courses for H, C, D, M, R and add those categories to my license, how would I go about collecting temporarily inoperable category C&H weapons and permanently inoperable D&R weapons? The appeal of getting temporarily inoperable weapons rather than permanently inoperable is the chance of a nearby historical society or guild organizing an endorsed collector's shoot (which seems extremely rare these days, but possible).

I understand collections get recognized for the 'obvious' basis that they are thematic, historical, or financial in nature. So how would I go about collecting a weapon (just as an example) like a Ruger 10/22? It may not be historical in nature but it has been attributed with being the single most successful .22 rifle in the world, with millions upon millions sold. I hate the idea of rendering a category D or R rifle permanently inoperable as it is by all means destroying a weapon in the process of making it 'collectible'. But if a category D rifle was converted to a rimfire cartridge (making it category C by default) would it still hold the thematic or historical aspect? Not that I'd want to butcher an SLR or AR into a rimefire rifle, but would it on paper, still be considered an important, historical weapon? Because these conversions DO exist, but would the police consider the caliber change too much to change the thematic or historical value? It's an interesting concept that I haven't seen anyone talk about.

Any help or feedback is appreciated.
Fug
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Queensland Collector's License and inoperable weapons.

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2019, 9:42 pm

Fug wrote:So I've recently applied for a collector's license in Queensland. I currently have an A&B license for sports and target shooting, so I only had the safety courses for A&B on me at the time of applying for the license. Later along the line when (or if) I receive my collector's license, complete safety courses for H, C, D, M, R and add those categories to my license, how would I go about collecting temporarily inoperable category C&H weapons and permanently inoperable D&R weapons? The appeal of getting temporarily inoperable weapons rather than permanently inoperable is the chance of a nearby historical society or guild organizing an endorsed collector's shoot (which seems extremely rare these days, but possible).

I understand collections get recognized for the 'obvious' basis that they are thematic, historical, or financial in nature. So how would I go about collecting a weapon (just as an example) like a Ruger 10/22? It may not be historical in nature but it has been attributed with being the single most successful .22 rifle in the world, with millions upon millions sold. I hate the idea of rendering a category D or R rifle permanently inoperable as it is by all means destroying a weapon in the process of making it 'collectible'. But if a category D rifle was converted to a rimfire cartridge (making it category C by default) would it still hold the thematic or historical aspect? Not that I'd want to butcher an SLR or AR into a rimefire rifle, but would it on paper, still be considered an important, historical weapon? Because these conversions DO exist, but would the police consider the caliber change too much to change the thematic or historical value? It's an interesting concept that I haven't seen anyone talk about.

Any help or feedback is appreciated.

There is no room in the legislation that I know to allow converting a category down to a lesser level, CatD s always CatD, regardless of any modifications.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fug » 09 Apr 2019, 9:51 pm

There is no room in the legislation that I know to allow converting a category down to a lesser level, CatD s always CatD, regardless of any modifications

I probably didn't give enough relevant information. Say for example a .22 is offered in an AR platform, and it is done up to look like (let's just use Vietnam as an example theme) an M16A1, but is sold as a category C, would weapons licensing consider that still to be thematically correct, despite the difference in caliber?

The whole point is to not own a permanently inoperable firearm, as stated previously I consider welding a rifle closed as destruction.
Fug
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2019, 10:06 pm

Fug wrote:
There is no room in the legislation that I know to allow converting a category down to a lesser level, CatD s always CatD, regardless of any modifications

I probably didn't give enough relevant information. Say for example a .22 is offered in an AR platform, and it is done up to look like (let's just use Vietnam as an example theme) an M16A1, but is sold as a category C, would weapons licensing consider that still to be thematically correct, despite the difference in caliber?

The whole point is to not own a permanently inoperable firearm, as stated previously I consider welding a rifle closed as destruction.

A semi-auto M16 in .22LR would be CatC I think, unless appearance laws make it something else. Whether a modern replica of a milsurp would be considered thematically correct I wouldn't know, best to email Weapons Licencing and ask them.

I've spoken to some collectors down here recently and asked about themes and they told me it really doesn't seem to matter.
I agree, there is no point to owning a collectible firearm that is crippled to no longer be a firearm, might as well just buy a resin replica instead of destroying a firearm.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fug » 09 Apr 2019, 10:35 pm

A semi-auto M16 in .22LR would be CatC I think, unless appearance laws make it something else. Whether a modern replica of a milsurp would be considered thematically correct I wouldn't know, best to email Weapons Licencing and ask them.

I've spoken to some collectors down here recently and asked about themes and they told me it really doesn't seem to matter.
I agree, there is no point to owning a collectible firearm that is crippled to no longer be a firearm, might as well just buy a resin replica instead of destroying a firearm.

In Queensland appearance laws don't seem to be practiced too often. Considering major firearms offer ARs and other platforms in 22lr as category C I'd say it could be possible. It would just be a matter of declaring them as thematic (though I suppose you have to start somewhere).
Fug
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 09 Apr 2019, 10:56 pm

On topic but not helpfull,The SLR had a .22LR conversion that we used in Tully jungle on a run through range so the jungle did not get shot up by 7.62 NATO rounds.Still semi auto.If blade does not know the answer its unlikely anyone will
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2019, 11:13 pm

duncan61 wrote:On topic but not helpfull,The SLR had a .22LR conversion that we used in Tully jungle on a run through range so the jungle did not get shot up by 7.62 NATO rounds.Still semi auto.If blade does not know the answer its unlikely anyone will

I've heard of these but never seen one. It had a simple blow-back bolt built inside a dummy FAL bolt?

While I have done some research recently regarding getting a collector's licence (my DFO would like me to have a collector's licence), it would be a very long stretch to think I know much about it at all. While I had actually decided to get one just to get them off my case, I'm sure that if I did they would start refusing to licence firearms on my CatA/B licences, which would suck as I wouldn't be able to use them. If I want to actually use a firearm held on a collector's licence I have to run a PtA through a dealer to transfer it to my relevant CatA/B/H licence anyway, so it seems to me to be more sensible to simply buy them on those licences to start with. You can use firearms held on a collector's licence, but only at specific club events, at approved ranges, which also sucks.

The one seeming advantage of the collector's licence is that it allows me to own handguns without CatH, and the associated club attendances that requires. I could live with only being able to use such handguns at club events. But as the collector's licence encompasses all firearms, any firearm I buy can be held on it instead of my shooters licence, meaning the Police can insist on them going on the collector's instead of the shooter's licence. I'm currently investigating whether if I specify the "theme" as being for handguns _only_ does that protect me from being forced to transfer my rifles to the collector's licence. Anybody know the answer to that one?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fug » 09 Apr 2019, 11:21 pm

bladeracer wrote:
duncan61 wrote:On topic but not helpfull,The SLR had a .22LR conversion that we used in Tully jungle on a run through range so the jungle did not get shot up by 7.62 NATO rounds.Still semi auto.If blade does not know the answer its unlikely anyone will

I've heard of these but never seen one. It had a simple blow-back bolt built inside a dummy FAL bolt?

While I have done some research recently regarding getting a collector's licence (my DFO would like me to have a collector's licence), it would be a very long stretch to think I know much about it at all. While I had actually decided to get one just to get them off my case, I'm sure that if I did they would start refusing to licence firearms on my CatA/B licences, which would suck as I wouldn't be able to use them. If I want to actually use a firearm held on a collector's licence I have to run a PtA through a dealer to transfer it to my relevant CatA/B/H licence anyway, so it seems to me to be more sensible to simply buy them on those licences to start with. You can use firearms held on a collector's licence, but only at specific club events, at approved ranges, which also sucks.

The one seeming advantage of the collector's licence is that it allows me to own handguns without CatH, and the associated club attendances that requires. I could live with only being able to use such handguns at club events. But as the collector's licence encompasses all firearms, any firearm I buy can be held on it instead of my shooters licence, meaning the Police can insist on them going on the collector's instead of the shooter's licence. I'm currently investigating whether if I specify the "theme" as being for handguns _only_ does that protect me from being forced to transfer my rifles to the collector's licence. Anybody know the answer to that one?

Dunno if this is helpful since I'm QLD, but when I applied for my collector's license there was a box that could be ticked asking if I held any weapons I'd like to be transferred from my sporting license to the collector's license (ticked no, even though I have a martini which I'll probably add later). Never heard of the police forcing you put weapons on a collectors license from your A+B, since I'm sure modern sporting rifles aren't really historical not collectibles.
Fug
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Apr 2019, 11:54 pm

Fug wrote:Dunno if this is helpful since I'm QLD, but when I applied for my collector's license there was a box that could be ticked asking if I held any weapons I'd like to be transferred from my sporting license to the collector's license (ticked no, even though I have a martini which I'll probably add later). Never heard of the police forcing you put weapons on a collectors license from your A+B, since I'm sure modern sporting rifles aren't really historical not collectibles.

Yes, that's fine for the rifles I already own. I have a good selection of modern hunting rifles so those aren't a problem, and I doubt there'd be a problem buying more of those. But I have dozens of milsurps, and those are far more likely to be my usual purchases. Currently, every time I do a CatB PtA I have to write a letter of explanation to go with it. One guy I spoke with had over thirty Lee-Enfield rifles. Before he got his collector's licence he had many scores of rifles held on friend's and family's licences. When he eventually decided he had to get the collector's licence he had to pay for scores of PtA's to transfer them all into his name :-)

Another guy I spoke with claimed the restrictions are irrelevant and he shoots all his rifles as if they're on his CatB licence regardless. I don't know if he was bullshitting me but I have far too much invested in my shooting to risk it all on stupidity like that.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws