NSW EPA new rules

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW EPA new rules

Post by zhuk » 16 Apr 2019, 2:19 am

Bear in mind this isn't "out in the wild", yet...and at the moment only pertains to new ranges - but will eventually be required at every range in the State.

A mate was at the new Southern Highlands complex yesterday (aka Hill Top) and because of new EPA rules had to give written notification of name/licence no/calibre/projectile weight/number of rounds he would be shooting. This is because clubs will be required to remediate all lead in their backstops from now on, and the amount of lead must tally with the weights calculated by said notification (taking a stab here that there will be consequences if they didn't match up, or why else do it)

Not only is this going to be a further significant bureaucratic impost on clubs, but remediation is not going to be cheap either...so of course we will have to pay for that in increased fees etc. Might be feasible at least from the collation side if you are shooting a known match count, but what about if you are shooting casually...how the fcuk do you know in advance how many rounds you'll be shooting? Particularly in something like handguns with potentially a lot of rounds downrange at any given outing.

And what about something like the recent IPSC Nats? Getting 380-odd competitors from around the country (and internationally) to have to nominate how many rounds they'll shoot during a match, when you can't possibly know? I took 650 rounds with me (slight overkill I know lol) and used about 300-something - I could never have estimated beforehand.

So if you make an erroneous estimation...will you have to amend the count afterwards? Expect interstate and overseas competitors to do the same?

FFS lol :roll:
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: NSW EPA new rules

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2019, 3:21 am

zhuk wrote:Bear in mind this isn't "out in the wild", yet...and at the moment only pertains to new ranges - but will eventually be required at every range in the State.

A mate was at the new Southern Highlands complex yesterday (aka Hill Top) and because of new EPA rules had to give written notification of name/licence no/calibre/projectile weight/number of rounds he would be shooting. This is because clubs will be required to remediate all lead in their backstops from now on, and the amount of lead must tally with the weights calculated by said notification (taking a stab here that there will be consequences if they didn't match up, or why else do it)

Not only is this going to be a further significant bureaucratic impost on clubs, but remediation is not going to be cheap either...so of course we will have to pay for that in increased fees etc. Might be feasible at least from the collation side if you are shooting a known match count, but what about if you are shooting casually...how the fcuk do you know in advance how many rounds you'll be shooting? Particularly in something like handguns with potentially a lot of rounds downrange at any given outing.

And what about something like the recent IPSC Nats? Getting 380-odd competitors from around the country (and internationally) to have to nominate how many rounds they'll shoot during a match, when you can't possibly know? I took 650 rounds with me (slight overkill I know lol) and used about 300-something - I could never have estimated beforehand.

So if you make an erroneous estimation...will you have to amend the count afterwards? Expect interstate and overseas competitors to do the same?

I thought cleaning up the site was already part of the licencing template for every range?
Is this a new requirement requiring clean up more regularly? Seems ludicrous and impossible to monitor.
What if you're not shooting lead bullets?
What if you're shooting at steel? Do you have to pre-nominate how many misses you're planning on putting into the backstop?
When I shoot into dirt banks, even using metal detectors I probably only recover about 90-95% of my bullets.
Shooting into the rubber back stop lets me recover virtually all of it.
I think every shooter should state they're only firing ten rounds at each visit, that way the club will always be ahead of the numbers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 16 Apr 2019, 5:09 am

bladeracer wrote:
zhuk wrote:Bear in mind this isn't "out in the wild", yet...and at the moment only pertains to new ranges - but will eventually be required at every range in the State.

I thought cleaning up the site was already part of the licencing template for every range?
Is this a new requirement requiring clean up more regularly? Seems ludicrous and impossible to monitor.
What if you're not shooting lead bullets?
What if you're shooting at steel? Do you have to pre-nominate how many misses you're planning on putting into the backstop?
When I shoot into dirt banks, even using metal detectors I probably only recover about 90-95% of my bullets.
Shooting into the rubber back stop lets me recover virtually all of it.
I think every shooter should state they're only firing ten rounds at each visit, that way the club will always be ahead of the numbers.

It is yes, but this seems to be an attempt to catalogue the amount of lead recovered with the stated round count for any particular range. No it makes no sense and would appear to be hell to try and administer on the part of clubs. But since when has that ever stopped NSW lol

I think every shooter should state they're only firing ten rounds at each visit, that way the club will always be ahead of the numbers

Not if they're meant to tally, supposedly...christ knows how this will pan out on a large scale.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Apr 2019, 5:17 am

zhuk wrote:It is yes, but this seems to be an attempt to catalogue the amount of lead recovered with the stated round count for any particular range. No it makes no sense and would appear to be hell to try and administer on the part of clubs. But since when has that ever stopped NSW lol

I think every shooter should state they're only firing ten rounds at each visit, that way the club will always be ahead of the numbers

Not if they're meant to tally, supposedly...christ knows how this will pan out on a large scale.

When I shoot at steel I rarely recover much more than a flat disc of perhaps less than 10% of the bullet mass, the rest is vaporized.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 Apr 2019, 1:01 pm

Somewhere in the background a manufacturer of lead free projectiles would be lobbying for this kind of action.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to New South Wales gun laws