Possible to own a Russian OTS-03 rifle in WA?

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

Re: Possible to own a Russian OTS-03 rifle in WA?

Post by duncan61 » 27 Apr 2019, 12:30 am

I keep going to post my thoughts but you have covered it again Bruiser.Is the O.P. aware this site is monitored and what possible reason could there be to own an assault rifle???
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 27 Apr 2019, 12:46 am

My bet is that he is a troll mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 27 Apr 2019, 1:02 am

At least I looked up the 7.62x54Rimmed.Its no more than 308 or 30/06 which makes sense as a military chambering.So stopping power is not an issue.If the O.P. does not respond maybe we could delete this thread?
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by wanneroo » 27 Apr 2019, 6:16 am

duncan61 wrote:At least I looked up the 7.62x54Rimmed.Its no more than 308 or 30/06 which makes sense as a military chambering.So stopping power is not an issue.If the O.P. does not respond maybe we could delete this thread?

I'm guessing there are Australians that own surplus Mosin Nagants, although I can't say I've ever heard much about them down under compared to the USA. Here we can still buy them on the shelf as cosmoline soaked surplus rifles. I think the Ukrainians still have a stash.

The cartridge was outdated by WW2, even before, but like the British clinging to the 303 rimmed case, a lot of it came down to logistics and the cost and time to replace something so widespread. Russians are still using it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 27 Apr 2019, 12:19 pm

There have been a few films and books that have showcased the Dragunov as the ultimate rifle - maybe the poster read / saw a film and thought that be a cool firearm to own, I wonder if it’s possible?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 27 Apr 2019, 2:04 pm

duncan61 wrote:I keep going to post my thoughts but you have covered it again Bruiser.Is the O.P. aware this site is monitored and what possible reason could there be to own an assault rifle???

The entire internet is "monitored" and archived.
Collectors perhaps? This is actually a sniper rifle though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Apr 2019, 2:06 pm

duncan61 wrote:At least I looked up the 7.62x54Rimmed.Its no more than 308 or 30/06 which makes sense as a military chambering.So stopping power is not an issue.If the O.P. does not respond maybe we could delete this thread?

All the military chamberings of that era are much the same performance-wise, from 6.5mm to 8mm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 28 Apr 2019, 12:15 am

TassieTiger wrote:There have been a few films and books that have showcased the Dragunov as the ultimate rifle - maybe the poster read / saw a film and thought that be a cool firearm to own, I wonder if it’s possible?

Most likely used it in a video game.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by zhuk » 28 Apr 2019, 2:36 am

wanneroo wrote:

I'm guessing there are Australians that own surplus Mosin Nagants, although I can't say I've ever heard much about them down under compared to the USA. Here we can still buy them on the shelf as cosmoline soaked surplus rifles. I think the Ukrainians still have a stash.

The cartridge was outdated by WW2, even before, but like the British clinging to the 303 rimmed case, a lot of it came down to logistics and the cost and time to replace something so widespread. Russians are still using it.

I can guarantee there is a small underground of mosin owners here (I have an indecent number personally lol) though unlike the US hardy any come 'cosmoline soaked' (none of mine were) Few are coming into the country now that importers are finding ot prohibtively expensive to go through getting them from US bond warehouses prior to hitting American soil, so to speak. And they all come from the Ukrainian armouries; which also have all the stores of military surplus equipment such as uniforms, field kit etc.

All Russian arms prior to the AK-74/AK-100 series (including handguns) were chambered in 7.62 x-something to avoid having to re-tool factories. Unsurprisingly a 19th century round which you point out as the design dates from 1891, and over 37 million variants were produced. Still in use today in various conflicts due to their reach capability and bombproof like nature lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 28 Apr 2019, 2:47 am

bladeracer wrote:

All the military chamberings of that era are much the same performance-wise, from 6.5mm to 8mm.

6.5mm as used in Swedish mausers is an exceptionally flat-shooting round compared to other milsurp calibres, and swedes are well represented in service rifle comps due to their intrinsic accuracy (interestingly a rimless cartridge from the outset). Also helps that none of them ever had corrosive ammo through them so the barrels are invariably in excellent condition compared to other milsurp rifles. Helps when none of your armies ever fired any shots in anger lol so no need to mass produce millions of rounds.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 28 Apr 2019, 4:08 pm

When I did a buffalo safari the guide was saying the group before had a hunter who swore his 6.5 swede would do the job on a big bull buffalo and apparently it did.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by zhuk » 28 Apr 2019, 9:31 pm

duncan61 wrote:When I did a buffalo safari the guide was saying the group before had a hunter who swore his 6.5 swede would do the job on a big bull buffalo and apparently it did.

Anything that pushes 140gr over 2700fps, that's not gonna get up again anytime soon. But damn, a buffalo now that's impressive lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 28 Apr 2019, 10:28 pm

From what I recall he had handloaded Woodleigh roundnose and they come in 140gn or 160gn and they are supposed to retain their shape and weight.He did what I did and put a full mag and the one up the spout into its boiler room from around 100 metres or less then reloaded and did it again from closer.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by zhuk » 29 Apr 2019, 12:31 pm

Ha yeah, that would do it lol

Nice work!
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Western Australia gun laws