Registration of Unregistered Firearm

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: Registration of Unregistered Firearm

Post by Chappo » 01 May 2019, 10:27 pm

No1_49er wrote:It appears to be that Chappo is relying on some old memory cells. :lol:

I don't see any need for corroboration.

You can either surrender it :thumbsdown: , OR, if you want is as a keeper, do exactly as they say. Take it to your dealer who will make it lawful by including it in the NSW Registry, and you apply for your PTA :thumbsup:

Easy, either way :)

Where’s MY apology ;)
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 02 May 2019, 5:37 am

CQshayne, there has been an unoffical amnesty here in QLD for many years now. However, be advised that it is, (except at the times when made offical by the Govt), unoffical and if you, as a LAFO, run into the wrong copper/judge combination if caught transporting an unregistered firearm, you potentially face a $14000+ fine/loss of licence, firearms. I have had a number of unregistered firearms offered to me over the years, and in these cases I have had the person doing the offering transport the firearm to the dealers with me following in a diffent vehicle.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 02 May 2019, 11:03 am

Chappo wrote:
No1_49er wrote:It appears to be that Chappo is relying on some old memory cells. :lol:

I don't see any need for corroboration.

You can either surrender it :thumbsdown: , OR, if you want is as a keeper, do exactly as they say. Take it to your dealer who will make it lawful by including it in the NSW Registry, and you apply for your PTA :thumbsup:

Easy, either way :)

Where’s MY apology ;)

Yep, you too Chappo :thumbsup:

The link that was posted re the either / or surrender to police or a dealer is very old (v1.1 Sep 2008). Why it still exists, when the current version (v2.0) dated Nov 2018 is beyond me. Even more of a mystery is why would NSW Police end their amnesty, instead of leaving it open/continuous, as in QLD?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 May 2019, 11:36 am

Shrapnel mate what I would do I would get in contact with my LGS ask his opinion and make an arrangement for you to take the rifle in for the paper work give him the serial number then proceed if by any chance you are pulled up and found to have an unregistered fire arm on your person then a phone call from the cop would clear the situation up any cop worth his salt would see you are doing the right thing he would look a fool to book you whilst you're trying to do what is right it would go against what they're trying to achieve I can't see any problem make sure you transport it in a proper manner of what is required to transport a fire arm Mate there's no doomsday here just pure honesty and the 1/10000 chance of being pulled over then they will clearly see things are being done in the legal and proper manner what else can they ask for
Member-Deleted

Post by Chappo » 02 May 2019, 12:01 pm

No1_49er wrote:
The link that was posted re the either / or surrender to police or a dealer is very old (v1.1 Sep 2008). Why it still exists, when the current version (v2.0) dated Nov 2018 is beyond me. Even more of a mystery is why would NSW Police end their amnesty, instead of leaving it open/continuous, as in QLD?

Agreed.
My understanding is that an official amnesty costs the gov money to run and the last one in NSW was disappointing for them as the numbers of guns brought forward to be registered or destroyed were way down from the previous amnesty.
There has however always been a pathway for unregistered guns to be registered without an amnesty in place. Why this pathway was recently closed is beyond me too and only asking for trouble!

From what I’ve heard from different sources I doubt there will be another amnesty in NSW soon but the pathway to legalise unregistered firearms will open back up.
Fingers crossed anyway.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Strangedog » 02 May 2019, 12:58 pm

I found some firearms once. About six years ago. Took em all to a dealer. He wrote some note to cover me if the cops pulled me up. Registered the one I wanted to keep, he paid me money for the others. Don't take them to the police, they just end up being destroyed. Take them to a dealer. Phone and arrange to do so before. I thought there was a permanent amnesty arrangement. Stupid if there wasn't.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 May 2019, 1:36 pm

Just spoke to my local cop an Amnesty is for people wanting to hand guns in to collect money for those guns (if they're legal tender)with no reprisal or for people to make unregistered guns legal when an amnesty is called off people can still hand guns in with no money return or register them it is when you are caught ie in a raid or using it or dobbed in or in other words intending to keep an illegal firearm they are not going or will not interfere with legal intentions it's not in their interest however all due process has to be done in an open and legal way ie LGS ,pta ,leave firearm at dealers till made legal with paper work and licence
There is no option but for police to charge someone without proof of intent to legalise a firearm his advice and he believes for most states is get it seen to immediately notify your local GS and sort the transport to them and start the process then it is in legal possession and the process can begin it's just a formality if you hesitate then you are in possession of an illegal firearm having good intentions doesn't mean you have proof of your intentions
Member-Deleted

Post by GQshayne » 03 May 2019, 7:45 pm

Righto, thanks for the tips fellas.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Previous

Return to New South Wales gun laws