NSW Category H License Process and Time Frames

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

NSW Category H License Process and Time Frames

Post by Andy2pants » 02 May 2019, 9:59 pm

Hi, I have been getting into pistol target shooting lately and just recently joined my local club. I already hold a firearms licence with category A&B.

I have applied online as you would selecting new category. I haven't received any emails letters or phone calls so I'm not sure what's happening.

Has anybody gone through this new (online) system? What is the process? What are the time frames?

What is the previous (pre-online)process and time frames?

Thanks!
Andy2pants
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: NSW Category H License Process and Time Frames

Post by Wylie27 » 03 May 2019, 2:57 pm

Ok assume your in NSW

You have joined a club have you sat the pistol safety course?
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 03 May 2019, 3:24 pm

How have you been getting into pistol shooting with no permit or licence unless you mean you would like to get into pistol shooting .
1st you will need to be a member of a pistol club
book in to do training for pistol in my case was 3 months waiting list
2nd you will need to do their training and pass the course
3rd for the next six months you will be under supervision of some sort when you shoot a pistol
4th do a graduation course
5th next six months you will have a probationary permit
then they will add class H to you shooting licence
all in all in NSW takes about `15 to 16 months taking in to account waiting for FAR and services NSW post and pistol club
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Andy2pants » 03 May 2019, 5:33 pm

Hi sorry I should've mentioned I am in NSW and I've joined a club and passed their required safety courses.
Andy2pants
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 03 May 2019, 6:55 pm

Andy2pants wrote:Hi sorry I should've mentioned I am in NSW and I've joined a club and passed their required safety courses.

witch club
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by cruncher » 03 May 2019, 11:30 pm

The process is pretty straight forward. After applying online and the mandatory 28 days cooling off period you will receive your PPL (28 days + approx two weeks for it to turn up in the mail). Then you are on PPL for six months (from the date of PPL issue) - can shoot club's or friend's pistol without supervision (on the clubs premises of course). After 6 months, providing you have satisfied all club requirements (they vary), you can apply for your first PTA (28 days + whatever). After 12 months you will get catH added to your license.
cruncher
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 05 May 2019, 10:45 am

Do you have ranges where you can just go drop some money down and shoot a pistol at a range.We have lone ranges that do just that and Midland do something similar where you do 30 shots out of a .22LR semi auto then a .22LR in a revolver then .357 in an auto then .357 in a revolver its about $25 a go.my partner and I did the .22 LR and it was good fun the targets move in and out by remote control and I think we started at 10 metres.No cleaning or storage needed
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to New South Wales gun laws