Moving states?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Moving states?

Post by Nic » 11 May 2019, 10:27 am

Hi all,

It's looking like the wifey and I are moving from VIC to SA at the end of the year.

Long story short, I'm not sure what to do about my guns and how to do a license and gun rego transfer. I also don't know if there is a grace period... I. E. When we move there may be a period of days where the guns have to get out of our house in Vic (which will be rented out) and moved to a location in SA.

Either that, or could I keep my guns in Vic for a period of time whilst I sort myself out in SA?

Any help or advice you have would be awesome.

Thanks
Nic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Moving states?

Post by Dabi » 11 May 2019, 10:51 am

According to the VIC Pol:
"Victoria Police has the authority to immediately cancel a licence once they become aware the licence holder no longer ordinarily resides in Victoria."
Unless you can do it discreetly, grab a change of details from here https://www.police.vic.gov.au/change-ad ... cumstances
This page might help too https://www.police.vic.gov.au/mutual-re ... interstate

Just watch out for any changes in gun laws in SA in case you own something you can't bring over there :)
large capacity fully auto military style assault flintlock
Dabi
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 May 2019, 11:18 am

Most importantly, when you move to SA you'll need to adjust your clock half an hour back and the year on your callander backwards by 20 years.

Everyone that I know that's moved to SA hasn't had a problem transferring their firearms.

Personally if it were me doing it, I'd be calling the SA Firearms branch for a chat.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by dpskipper » 12 May 2019, 5:45 pm

Quite a few months back I did the opposite. Moved from SA to VIC. I had already transferred all my guns to a relative and let my SA licence lapse a long time ago.. Still haven't gotten around to applying for my VIC licence...
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 May 2019, 6:21 pm

dpskipper wrote:Quite a few months back I did the opposite. Moved from SA to VIC. I had already transferred all my guns to a relative and let my SA licence lapse a long time ago.. Still haven't gotten around to applying for my VIC licence...

Does that mean you had to run PtA's to transfer them all, and will need interstate PtA's to transfer them back to your name when you get the Vic licence?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 12 May 2019, 6:26 pm

bladeracer wrote:
dpskipper wrote:Quite a few months back I did the opposite. Moved from SA to VIC. I had already transferred all my guns to a relative and let my SA licence lapse a long time ago.. Still haven't gotten around to applying for my VIC licence...

Does that mean you had to run PtA's to transfer them all, and will need interstate PtA's to transfer them back to your name when you get the Vic licence?

Yeah, before I let my licence expire I PTA'd them all to my relo. That process was painless but lengthy...

If/when I decide to get licenced again (literally the only thing holding me up is lazyness) I might get them transferred to a dealer in VIC and then to me. Depends on which method has the least headaches. But I don't have a huge arsenal to bring across. Should probably sell the airgun too.
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Nic » 13 May 2019, 12:14 am

Thanks for the info, guys. Looking like calling the SA Police might be the way to go?
Nic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 May 2019, 7:00 am

Nic wrote:Thanks for the info, guys. Looking like calling the SA Police might be the way to go?

I would be ringing the FAR in SA and Vic and see what's needed to get it sorted out. No doubt they both have different procedures so best to know what both require to make it hopefully easier and seamless.:thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Victorian gun laws