What happens if your guns are stolen?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

What happens if your guns are stolen?

Post by Pilch » 30 Jul 2013, 9:57 am

Hi guys,

Not to repeat my story (already said it in off-topic forum), but yesterday my house was broken into.

The cops were pretty good about the whole thing, 1 of pair especially. 1 of the guys though when I mentioned I had a gun safe seemed to stiffen up a bit, and throughout the process seemed to hint a little at possible trouble if I had guns stolen from me in future (they didn't get into the safe).

Just wondering, if you've got everything locked up properly, what's the process if something were stolen. Anything I should address beyond the obvious of meeting the security requirements?
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: What happens if your guns are stolen?

Post by Bark » 30 Jul 2013, 11:14 am

Sucks about the break in :(

About having a rifle stolen, If you're all up to code, nothing. Police will work to retrieve your firearms and return them to you if they can recover them.

If your security wasn't up to scratch, expect to lose your license and all your gear and be ready for the magistrate to give you a whopping fine.
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sneaker » 30 Jul 2013, 2:14 pm

If you've met all the storage requirements you've nothing to worry about.

I think it's a $2200 fine if you have a firearm pinched due to your negligence? And you lose your license for 5-10 years?

You're saying they didn't actually get anything though, right?
sneaker
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Pilch » 30 Jul 2013, 2:25 pm

sneaker wrote:If you've met all the storage requirements you've nothing to worry about.

I think it's a $2200 fine if you have a firearm pinched due to your negligence? And you lose your license for 5-10 years?

You're saying they didn't actually get anything though, right?

Nah they didn't get anything. There weren't actually any guns in the safe anyway.

I have a proper gun safe, bolted in securely and so on. I'm all up to code on this stuff, the whole situation has just got my mind racing is all...
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by tarnagulla » 30 Jul 2013, 5:53 pm

I agree with the others - and I worked for VicPol for 23 years, including >10 yrs as an authorised Longarms Safety Instructor. If your storage arrangement was up to scratch you have nothing to worry about. Chill out mate!
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by lole » 30 Jul 2013, 7:31 pm

tarnagulla wrote:I agree with the others - and I worked for VicPol for 23 years, including >10 yrs as an authorised Longarms Safety Instructor. If your storage arrangement was up to scratch you have nothing to worry about. Chill out mate!

There you go mate, straight from the horses mouth.

Make sure all your security is above board and you've got nothing to fear.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Victorian gun laws