Gifting a firearm?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Gifting a firearm?

Post by Utcherd » 30 Jul 2013, 1:23 pm

A mate of mine is a farmer and throughout his families time doing so they've built up a fair collection of rifles which they don't really have any need for. Not as many as they have anyway.

My mate is being kind enough to give my a 300 Win Mag so I can try a larger calibre without having to buy a new rifle myself.

As we won't be selling/buying anything, do we have to go through the dealer transfer fees at so on? I've tried calling FA registry a few times but gave up after being on hold for ages. Was hoping they could just update their paperwork to show it in my name instead of his.

What are my chances?
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Gifting a firearm?

Post by Harts » 31 Jul 2013, 9:14 am

Pretty sure a dealer is required for any transfer, regardless of the situation.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Ariat » 31 Jul 2013, 9:26 am

Harts wrote:Pretty sure a dealer is required for any transfer, regardless of the situation.

That's the one.
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by lole » 31 Jul 2013, 10:04 am

Utcherd wrote:As we won't be selling/buying anything, do we have to go through the dealer transfer fees at so on? I've tried calling FA registry a few times but gave up after being on hold for ages. Was hoping they could just update their paperwork to show it in my name instead of his.

The dealer is there to verify the serial numbers of firearms changing hands and to ensure everyone is licensed appropriately.

They have nothing to do with the money side of things, that's up to you.

Must go through dealer regardless.
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws