Using air rifle in backyard?

Questions about South Australian gun and ammunition laws. S.A. Firearms Act 2015.

Using air rifle in backyard?

Post by benny » 10 Mar 2014, 7:47 pm

Hi,

New to this forum, I have had a look through and haven't seen this brought up yet.

I'm just about to get my license (A and B) and plan on getting an air rifle first (.22) and cant find any where if your allowed to use them in your back yard.

I live in Adelaide and in a residential area

Thanks.
benny
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: usinf air rifle in backyard?

Post by Chronos » 10 Mar 2014, 8:53 pm

there are some laws that differ from state to state but in general you may only discharge any fire arm

A) when at an approved range or

B) when hunting or sighting in. there are restrictions on where you may do this and best check your state laws. For example in nsw you must not discharge a firearm in an area not zoned rural. so you can shoot on a mates property but not in town. and only then if you have rec hunting /vermin control on your license

it gets complicated which is why people are reluctant to give advice

i'd offer this advice, get down to your local range and shoot your air rifle. it will cost you a few bucks but you will make some great mates and have a bit of friendly competition

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 10 Mar 2014, 9:33 pm

You really need someone from South Australia who is aware of your local regulations to contribute but unless South Australia has some crazy different laws I think you answer would be a big NO NO.

Most states I know of it is illegal to discharge a firearm within residential zone areas. I know in NSW it is illegal to have a loaded firearm in a public place, like being on a public roadway or even crossing a public road from one property to another.

My advice would be to ring your local Police or your Firearms Registry and ask for official advice. Until you do that don't even think about doing what you are asking. If it is illegal and you are reproted you will most likely be charged with a serious firearms offence and loose not only your firearms, your licence but it might also mean you have a hell of a time getting another firearms licence.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by MasterBlaster » 10 Mar 2014, 10:36 pm

Even if you are out hunting in an area that allows it and you happen to scare someone even accidentally you can be charged...
Who runs Bartertown?
MasterBlaster runs Bartertown...
MasterBlaster
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Using air rifle in backyard?

Post by Elek » 11 Mar 2014, 7:42 am

I think you'll find that would be 'discharging a firearm in a populated area' or whatever the offence is.

A definite no-no, in every state too I'm pretty sure.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by benny » 11 Mar 2014, 9:00 am

thanks everyone, had a feeling that might the case but could not actually find it stating that anywhere.

appreciate the advice and help, i think a range and mates properties is going to be the best option.
benny
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Guliver » 11 Mar 2014, 12:15 pm

I understand the reasoning behind the current laws, but was just thing it's only about 45years ago we used to run around with our air rifles where VFL park was to be built and the nearby necropolis's dam and surrounding streets as young teenagers and nobody said boo. Times they have changed. "apologies to Robert Zimmerman"
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Norton » 11 Mar 2014, 12:32 pm

benny wrote:thanks everyone, had a feeling that might the case but could not actually find it stating that anywhere.

That's often the case.

A lot of these things are wording in wide sweeping and a ambiguous ways so they can be applied to many possible situations.

Nothing in the firearms act is as clear as:

Q: Is it legal to fire an air rifle in my back yard?
A: No.

Gotta navigate through all the jargon.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by snowboard » 25 Mar 2014, 1:34 pm

I cannot find anything in the Western Australian firearms act. As far as I can tell you can use any firearm in your own back yard in WA residential or not. Not sure about South Australia.
snowboard
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by nords » 25 Mar 2014, 1:40 pm

snowboard wrote:I cannot find anything in the Western Australian firearms act. As far as I can tell you can use any firearm in your own back yard in WA residential or not. Not sure about South Australia.

:lol: Righto,

Fire your centrefire off in the back yard and see if the Police don't come calling :lol:
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Elek » 25 Mar 2014, 1:43 pm

snowboard wrote:I cannot find anything in the Western Australian firearms act. As far as I can tell you can use any firearm in your own back yard in WA residential or not.

You don't really believe that...

You think if you're sitting in your back yard with your neighbours watching and you're busting off dozens of rounds with your 30 cal that the Police won't come and take you away?

C'mon now...
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 25 Mar 2014, 1:54 pm

snowboard wrote:I cannot find anything in the Western Australian firearms act. As far as I can tell you can use any firearm in your own back yard in WA.

Except for...

'custody of a firearm in a public place'
'discharging a firearm in a public place'

Both criminal charges in WA according to the Australian Institute of Criminology publish Court outcomes for firearm offences in Australia.

'being armed in a way that may cause fear'
'causing fear or alarm to driver of conveyance or others'

Both in the Criminal Code Act of WA (P.S. Summary conviction penalty: imprisonment for 3 years and a fine of $36,000.)

I'm sure there are some summary offences along the lines of 'disturbing the peace' to top things off...

The firearms act isn't the be-all-and-end-all of all things shooting related. Depending on what/where/when you do something it could be prohibited in a number of acts. Firearms, Crimes, Parks/Wildlife, Dangerous goods... Probably more I can't think of...

Seriously, as if it was going to be ok to fire your rifle in your back yard...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RDobber » 25 Mar 2014, 2:34 pm

Lorgar wrote:I'm sure there are some summary offences along the lines of 'disturbing the peace' to top things off...

Because 4 criminal offences don't get you enough "street cred", you have to chuck on a fine for disturbing the peace as well :lol:
300 Win Mag Fanboy

Tikka, Tikka, Tikka, BOOM!
RDobber
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by chilliman » 25 Mar 2014, 6:02 pm

I wouldn't be shooting an air rifle in the backyard in a residential area
Mark

Gamo Hunter IGT .22
Weihrauch HW60J .22lr
223 + 308 5R's have arrived
Lee Enfield #4

get some
chilliman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by huccl » 25 Mar 2014, 6:09 pm

Nope, me neither.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by benny » 26 Mar 2014, 3:15 pm

thanks again guys, did my theory for the firearms license and as Norton said it really is the way you read the jargon and how you interpret it (like most law stuff!) as everyone has said definitely safer not to discharge in the backyard!
benny
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 26 Mar 2014, 5:31 pm

not allowed,,,,and dont sit inside with your music on so that no one can hear you shooting your air rifle. plastic army men are the target of choice or so ive heard
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Mar 2014, 6:00 pm

I dont believe that is illegal to shoot in your back yard in SA.

A few weeks ago a bloke a few houses up from me let one rip from his 12 gauge at a snake..... nothing came from it.... both my neibour and myself have taken many rabbits in our own back yards.

If your neibours have a problem with it then you will have trouble, it would pay to speak with them first.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 26 Mar 2014, 6:34 pm

your not in the suburbs are you
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Mark TAC » 26 Mar 2014, 11:00 pm

nords wrote:
snowboard wrote:I cannot find anything in the Western Australian firearms act. As far as I can tell you can use any firearm in your own back yard in WA residential or not. Not sure about South Australia.

:lol: Righto,

Fire your centrefire off in the back yard and see if the Police don't come calling :lol:

They will no doubt
but it is not a Firearms Act offence.

Noise issues, yes.

But you are allowed to discharge a firearm on your property, being 1/4ac or 1 million acres. No difference.

Projectile leaves the yard - then we are in trouble
Maker of carbon fibre / Kevlar(TM) tactical stocks
www.MSTactical.com

CZ 452 .22 - Leupy 2-7x33
Rem700 VSF .22/250 - Bushnell Elite 4200 6-20x40
Rem700 Sendero .300WinMag - Leupold 3.5-10x40 LR/T
Sako L461 custom .222 - Sighton SII 3-9x42
Mark TAC
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by ebr love » 27 Mar 2014, 10:53 am

on_one_wheel wrote:I don't believe that is illegal to shoot in your back yard in SA.

A few weeks ago a bloke a few houses up from me let one rip from his 12 gauge at a snake..... nothing came from it.... both my neighbour and myself have taken many rabbits in our own back yards.

If your neighbours have a problem with it then you will have trouble, it would pay to speak with them first.

It's important to note the difference between it being allowed and not being caught though. ( "caught" is the wrong word, too harsh, not impying any wrong doing here by anyone, just for the sake of conversation... You get it... )

If no one is around and/or no one cares and the police never hear of it then there will obviously won't be a problem. If all the neighbours are happy and no one makes a complaint, happy days. If you're on a rural property this is likely to be the case.

If you live in suburbia though in and are popping off your centre fire in your 40 square metre back yard you're going to have problems I'm sure.

I haven't scoured the WA Firearms Act, but even if it's not specifically prohibited in the Act, how many times do you think the Police will come out and have the conversation with you about how, strictly speaking, you're allowed to fire your rifle in a 40m backyard surrounded by neighbours, before acting to take your firearms away.

Don't forget they don't need to get you on something in the firearms act specifically. Any criminal conviction of an indictable offence is grounds to remove your license from you - firearms specific or not.

e.g. one of the charges Lorgar outlined from the Crimes Act.

Not having a go at anyone, just saying in the context of shooting in your residential backyard, it's foolish to even entertain the idea. IMHO.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pajamatime » 28 Mar 2014, 9:52 am

I would say no in any residential area....go find a rural area at least better yet go get permission from a rural land owner to do so (usually for pest control reasons)
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Elek » 28 Mar 2014, 9:59 am

ebr love wrote:in the context of shooting in your residential backyard, it's foolish to even entertain the idea. IMHO.

Exactly.

Your neighbours would be calling the cops in a heartbeat and they'd be all over you.
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Mar 2014, 9:17 pm

I'm yet to see any legislation quoted...... im going to ask tne local cop when I see him next.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by von_klitzing » 28 Mar 2014, 10:25 pm

I would be very careful here. The answer is obvious, it's simply a matter of how you personally interpret the legislation.

I doubt it states specifically that you may not fire an air rifle in your backyard, however, I can guarantee there are paragraphs in the legislation that cover this topic in a general manner. eg. legislation.sa.gov.au refer to Firearms Regulations - check out "purposes for which firearms may be used"

I'm sure there are many more areas that cover it as well, but that's up to the license holder to read and understand.

The OP should not simply be asking this question in a forum, but should be actively seeking out the answer by studying the laws and regulations that apply to your own area. If you don't have time or capacity for that, you probably shouldn't be holding a firearms license.

If you were to shoot an air rifle in your back yard, and someone reported it, the police will not discriminate when they come knocking at your door, and it will certainly be a big blow to the shooting community as a whole after everything shooters before us have done to keep firearms ownership within reach of enthusiasts.

The media will make sure of that.
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksmanVIC » 28 Mar 2014, 10:57 pm

interesting answers...In a residential area I doubt that you will be able to use any type of rifle and i don't think it would be worth the risk. That being said I don't think there is a problem with it either (Air rifles). When I was younger, and I'm only in my mid-20's now, our neighbors kids had air rifles and they used to shoot targets in their backyard and yes it was in the suburbs. They were not loud rifles and were seen more as a kids toy then a firearm. Times change I guess.
marksmanVIC
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by benny » 29 Mar 2014, 6:14 am

I did my TAFE firearms coarse yesterday to get my license (finally!!!) and in the part about firearms and the la I asked them and their response was it is not techincally illegal UNLESS someone feels threatened, scared, annoyed etc. and reports you then it becomes a a summary offences act which would see you charged and you would be fined, posibly jail time and loss of fire arms license.

Another interesting fact is that it counts for ANYWHERE i.e. on a farm and some feels threatened same problem! and you get charged

So I suppose it comes down to what your neighbours are like, but at the end of the day NOT worth it to me!
benny
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Elek » 29 Mar 2014, 12:51 pm

von_klitzing wrote:The answer is obvious, it's simply a matter of how you personally interpret the legislation.

I doubt it states specifically that you may not fire an air rifle in your backyard, however, I can guarantee there are paragraphs in the legislation that cover this topic in a general manner. eg. legislation.sa.gov.au refer to Firearms Regulations - check out "purposes for which firearms may be used"

I'm sure there are many more areas that cover it as well, but that's up to the license holder to read and understand.

Exactly.

Personally I can't understand why people say "it's not expressly forbidden in the firearms act" and think that's open season to do whatever you want.

As has already be said above, I seriously doubt anyone actually believes they can sit in their back yard all day long shooting their .308 into the dirt and not have it taken off them.

Talk talk talk. Anyone confident enough to test this? I think not.
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Elek » 29 Mar 2014, 12:52 pm

benny wrote:So I suppose it comes down to what your neighbours are like

Which in suburbia none of them are going to put up with that.
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ebr love » 01 Apr 2014, 2:24 pm

On this topic from today's news:

80-year-old charged with shooting birds

AN 80-year-old man has been arrested for allegedly shooting birds off power lines in a western Sydney street.

Police went to Links Avenue in Cabramatta after locals reported hearing gunshots about 10am on Monday.

Officers found two dead currawongs and a third bird with a gunshot wound.

It was taken to a vet.

An 80-year-old man who was driving nearby was spoken to by police.

They later arrested him at his Links Avenue home, where they seized two rifles, ammunition and the man's firearms licence.

He will face Liverpool Local Court at a later date on firearms and animal cruelty charges.

Source.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to South Australian gun laws