Shooters Union QLD&NSW

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Shooters Union QLD&NSW

Post by Baronvonrort » 13 Mar 2014, 11:26 pm

I have recently found out about the Shooters union, their rates for membership are much cheaper than other options so i am joining them to satisfy my licence requirements, i recall a time when there was no requirement to join anything for a shooters licence.

The NSW President Peter Whelan is a member of the Liberal democratic party who have a liberal firearm policy and a Director of the Glenorie RSL, i will be putting the Shooters and Fishers party along with the LDP as my first 2 choices on future ballot papers in NSW with the Greens dead last.

The Shooters union is affiliated with the NRA from the USA, it's good to see more political representation for law abiding shooters rights.

http://www.shootersunion.com.au
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Shooters Union QLD&NSW

Post by Aster » 14 Mar 2014, 7:33 am

I know the NSW licensing thing has been a dogs breakfast for a year now, but wasn't "hunting" a sufficient enough reason in NSW for a license only recently?
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by pajamatime » 14 Mar 2014, 8:10 am

I'm a member of the shooters union and SSAA + US NRA. and a bunch of other things.
the only problem I have with shooters union is their cards are paper ones if I remember correctly so it deteriorates quickly and it won't fit into my wallet...and I just realized its now missing =(
oh the misery -_-
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harper » 14 Mar 2014, 10:46 am

Paper cards is pretty bogo.

They sell those plastic card printers at heaps of places and it's 10c per card or something to print a decent one :roll:
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by yoshie » 14 Mar 2014, 12:40 pm

They send out an email to keep members up to date with political and legal stuff, gets pretty tiring when an election comes round, otherwise they are pretty good.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Yelp » 14 Mar 2014, 1:15 pm

yoshie wrote:They send out an email to keep members up to date with political and legal stuff

The legal updates are good I think.

What do you reckon the chances are of the fuzz contacting all license holders when something changes? :lol:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 14 Mar 2014, 2:05 pm

Aster wrote:I know the NSW licensing thing has been a dogs breakfast for a year now, but wasn't "hunting" a sufficient enough reason in NSW for a license only recently?

Hunting is a sufficient reason you must also have one or more of these-
1.Hunting club membership
2.Ownership or occupancy of rural land
3.Permission to shoot from an owner/occupier of rural land
4.Permission to shoot from a government agency
http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/131110/Sample_P661_RHVC_Jan_14.pdf

I had permission from a property owner to shoot feral pigs and goats, he passed away after a tragic fall , his kids are putting the property up for sale which means i have lost my genuine reason and need an alternative before the land title changes hands.
If i have permission from someone else it would make it much easier, i have to attend 2 club meetings per year to satisfy the legal requirement for hunting club membership.

1,648 people died from accidental falls in 2010 in Australia according to ABS, the death rate for accidental falls in the USA is over double the firearm homicide rate.

I will pass on the complaints about paper cards,i have used clear contact plastic sheets on both sides with a 1cm border to protect some old documents, it makes them water resistant but not water proof, over 20 years old and still looking good, that was before plastic laminators were available.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by disco2 » 15 Mar 2014, 3:00 pm

Cannot speak highly enough of the Shooters Union in Queensland when it comes to seeking help with the frustrating Qld Weapons Licencing Branch.

As for SSAA - blow it out your ear.

They are useless as they have other agendas.

Don't know what it is - but it's got nothing to do with the members.

Richard
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines
disco2
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pajamatime » 15 Mar 2014, 6:47 pm

disco2 wrote:Cannot speak highly enough of the Shooters Union in Queensland when it comes to seeking help with the frustrating Qld Weapons Licencing Branch.

As for SSAA - blow it out your ear.

Don't know what it is - but it's got nothing to do with the members.

Richard

yeah allot of people are suspicious of the SSAA including me. something smells fishy but still trying to put a finger on it lol
i suspect SSAA are more about profit now then actually supporting shooters and are probably trying to monopolize on the shooters membership gig.
Shooters union appear to be doing a good job...they are also releasing a new site soon apparently which sounds exciting.
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 15 Mar 2014, 7:58 pm

disco2 wrote:As for SSAA - blow it out your ear.

Yep, I'm over getting sent the same magazine every month which has the same 5 Remington advertisements in it and bugger all else.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by chacka » 16 Mar 2014, 11:27 am

Yeah, there are 3-4 interesting things in each mag now I reckon :(
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Cryptic » 05 Jul 2017, 11:28 pm

Bit of a revive but saves a new thread. Anyone interested Ozzie reviews has a deal with shooters union atm for life membership $379
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bullzeye » 06 Jul 2017, 9:35 am

Seems like a good alternative to SSAA.

Just looked at their website - Shooters Union charge $35.00 a year which seems much more reasonable. Wondering where they hold their meetings so you can comply with the 2 meets for RHVC, and yearly meeting for a collectors license? Might send them an enquiry to find out..
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mitch » 06 Jul 2017, 9:48 am

What is RHVC?
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bullzeye » 06 Jul 2017, 11:56 am

Recreational Hunting & Vermin Control.

Acutally for people in NSW the fees look to be $60 per year, and another $40 if you want to add Collection to your license.

http://shootersunionnsw.com.au/apply-for-membership/

So they cost more than the SSAA?! :/
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mitch » 06 Jul 2017, 1:11 pm

Wow having to do 2 meets for that is stupid.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 06 Jul 2017, 2:24 pm

We are talking about our gun laws right?

Most of which are stupid or elements of stupidity to them.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jandamurra » 06 Jul 2017, 3:00 pm

They don't seem that sh*t hot. This from on article on their website ( https://shootersunion.com.au/shooters-u ... p-weapons/ )-

While Shooters Union of Australia president, Graham Park, agrees with NSW Liberal Democratic Senator David Leyonhjelm’s skeptical view on the lack of effectiveness of the first national gun amnesty to be undertaken since the one instigated by John Howard in the wake of the Port Arthur massacre, he supports the concept behind amnesties overall.

The article continues

On Twitter, Senator Leyonhjelm said the amnesty period would give Australians an opportunity to hand in unregistered and unwanted firearms and improve community safety.

But he also said, tongue in cheek, “No doubt terrorists and criminals will do exactly that”.

Maybe they're being a bit tongue in cheek with their expressions of support and maybe we're meant to read between the lines? I hope so.
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Mitch » 06 Jul 2017, 3:03 pm

What is wrong with supporting the amnesty?
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jandamurra » 06 Jul 2017, 3:21 pm

Mitch wrote:What is wrong with supporting the amnesty?

Maybe you should ask Graham Park and David Leyonhjelm.
Leyonhjjelm himself says it won't do anything positive for crime or terrorism-see the article I quoted in my last post.
In that case, what on earth is the point of it?
It's also disappointing to see him and Graham Park saying they support amnesties in general. By what magical thinking did they oppose the 1997 national buyback yet still support other amnesties?
Jandamurra
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bullzeye » 06 Jul 2017, 4:48 pm

The 'amnesty' in NSW should be permanent if they are serious (like other states).

Hand in unregistered firearms anytime with no repercussions. They will surely get more firearms that way.

Still, it’s not as if criminals will hand in guns they can get thousands of dollars for on the black market.

Regarding the Shooters Union, their pricing interstate differs - which is a little annoying. NSW is more expensive than QLD. I've sent them enquiry, waiting to hear..
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 06 Jul 2017, 5:19 pm

Gents - If you are interested you can get a life membership with SUA for half price for this month only thanks to Ozzie @ ozziereviews on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI8xeVB4GIo).

Half price link:
https://shootersunion.com.au/ozzie-revi ... mwcref=YT1
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 06 Jul 2017, 5:27 pm

Is there any benefit to have this lifetime cover. I'm in NSW have my own property and in future I want to get my H licensed and also would like to shoot in state forrest
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 06 Jul 2017, 8:21 pm

Most states already have an amnesty in place but its surprising how few people know they can take a gun to a gunshop and surrender it.

A week in (almost) and the guns are appearing and even licensed shooters with a dozen guns are turning up with unregistered guns and putting them in their name.

Like it or not this amnesty and the media hype around it is taking guns from under the bed and in the garage off the streets

Chronos.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by YoungBuck » 06 Jul 2017, 10:29 pm

Wrong thread Chronos?
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by spartan71 » 06 Jul 2017, 10:34 pm

I'm a life time member of shooters union, Ive been starting to think they are a bit of a scam. They don't respond to member email, website, enquiries, or Facebook messages asking for simple information like range affiliation. If they keep that attitude up I can't see them keeping members or maintaining their genuine reason status.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bullzeye » 11 Jul 2017, 9:39 am

I've emailed both the National and NSW unit of Shooters Union - never got a reply.

I'm rather concerned they are not operating properly and maybe one day they will have their certification revoked by police. In that case your life membership would be pretty much useless.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 13 Aug 2017, 7:12 pm

recently I have seen a need for public liability insurance for genuine recreational hunting
I have let it be known that I was thinking about rejoining ssaa vic but as they are a bunch of crooks wasn't happy about doing it
one of you guys let me know about insurance with shooters union so I have looked into it and this has made my ears prick up
I think highly of ozzie reviews so I believe this to be true
m.facebook.com/ozziereviews/posts/1228138133941244
I would be interested in an annual membership at $35 per year how cheap is that for 10 million dollars public liability
anyway I have sent an email to them for a please explain on there insurance, it so far sounds really good
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by DragonDrew » 03 Nov 2017, 8:14 pm

Bumping for some more info here.

I did my handgun safety course recently and was told about shooters union and thought it too good to be true, a club that gives me my genuine reason for a cat H + only $35/y. Turns out that SSAA will only allow you into their 'competitions' if you are in their Pistol division ($290/y~).
Have not checked out other clubs as SSAA are the monopoly when it comes to a decent competition layout as well as amount and time of comps. *shrug* guess I am gonna have to empty my wallet.
DragonDrew
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 03 Nov 2017, 9:24 pm

DragonDrew wrote:Bumping for some more info here.

I did my handgun safety course recently and was told about shooters union and thought it too good to be true, a club that gives me my genuine reason for a cat H + only $35/y. Turns out that SSAA will only allow you into their 'competitions' if you are in their Pistol division ($290/y~).
Have not checked out other clubs as SSAA are the monopoly when it comes to a decent competition layout as well as amount and time of comps. *shrug* guess I am gonna have to empty my wallet.

Well that sucks. I was looking tp shoot silhouette at Ripley as a visitor with a friend and talk to SU about how I could get my high cal.
Club I am with doesnt have silhouette so was just going to do as a visitor but if they wont allow in their comps they can get stuffed will go elsewhere.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Queensland gun laws