PTA wait time in QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Jakethefake » 23 Nov 2018, 2:14 pm

Thanks Daddybang,
I should receive an email though to tell me its approved?
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 23 Nov 2018, 2:17 pm

Yep then ya dealer should ring ya when they've received it :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by jaydos » 27 Nov 2018, 8:49 am

Applied 6pm Sunday night. Got an email saying it's approved at 8 this morning (Tuesday)
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 27 Nov 2018, 9:51 am

And yet its just taken two weeks for my missus to get one!!!! Bunch of inconsistent arseholes!! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by jaydos » 27 Nov 2018, 2:15 pm

Daddybang wrote:And yet its just taken two weeks for my missus to get one!!!! Bunch of inconsistent arseholes!! :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :drinks:

Give them a call mate, they're usually pretty helpful if you're polite to them on the phone
jaydos
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 27 Nov 2018, 2:31 pm

Thanks jaydos :thumbsup: :drinks:
It ended up being approved last Friday wich was the two week mark (not her first) and when I rang them Thursday they gave me the standard "they're done in order of receiving " bullsh@t.
It would piss me off less if there wasn't so many reporting 48hr turnarounds or at least some sort.of reason for the inconsistencies. !
:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bronco93 » 09 Jan 2019, 9:45 am

Cat B pta submitted on 29th december. Recieved approval today. Think I submitted it at night which makes it saturday night and public holiday was on a monday. So really only just over week. Not too bad of a turn around.
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Burntbear » 07 Nov 2019, 2:24 pm

Just for information - PTA submitted 23-02-2019, approval 25-03-2019 - First PTA
Burntbear
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Fonz_408 » 22 Nov 2019, 5:26 pm

Put one in on the 16th so no 2 day turnaround for me, not my first Cat B and I've had my licence 16yrs..
Fonz_408
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Patriot » 09 Dec 2019, 6:01 pm

Applied for first cat b Sunday arvo at 2pm, approval email at 3pm Monday, dealer called at 4pm, picked up new shottie just before closing. Pretty good service.
Patriot
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by swilso » 11 Jan 2020, 11:29 am

Applied for a Cat H PTA (3rd pistol) on the 31/12/19
Will post how long it takes when the email arrives.

Edit: PTA approval email today. 16/1/20
Perhaps another day or so until it gets emailed to the dealer.
Last edited by swilso on 16 Jan 2020, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swilso
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by 8x57 » 12 Jan 2020, 9:24 am

They’re a bit random in there, sometimes I’ve got them with 4 days other times it’s a couple weeks,
8x57
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by swilso » 19 Jan 2020, 11:36 am

Update:
Applied for a Cat H PTA (3rd pistol) on the 31/12/19

PTA approval email: 16/1/20
PTA arrived by email to dealer on 17/1/20
swilso
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by shauny88 » 24 Jan 2020, 3:55 pm

I applied for two CAT H PTA's just recently.

Both placed at Noon on the 7th January one for a rimfire, one for a second class B handgun (so should be no waiting period)

Received acceptance emails 3pm 23rd January and now waiting on post. 2 weeks 2 days to approve when I already have Cat H pistols. Guessing still a bit of a backlog after Christmas.
shauny88
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by albert » 28 Jan 2020, 7:16 pm

newbie here... just a question please:

Just got an email for my PTA approval today. Do I need to wait for the actual card from the mail for me to able to get the pistol or do I just request them to email to my dealer?

Thanks in advance.
albert
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 30 Jan 2020, 6:55 pm

The PTA email approval notice is just a courtesy and to stop you from contacting WLB about progress.
When you submitted the PTA you either selected for it to be delivered by post, in which case you have to wait for the letter to arrive in your mailbox, otherwise, if you selected 'email to dealer' then the dealer should get that a couple of days after your email notice.

You will need your license card for the category of firearm that you have been approved for, so if you're a new licensee then that takes a couple of weeks to arrive after your license approval email.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by apathetic » 06 Feb 2020, 4:46 pm

Weapons Licencing are all over it these days :D :D
I lodged my pta 9:30am Monday,
Gunshop got the email Thursday arvo
:drinks:

edit: and had rifle in hand friday!
Last edited by apathetic on 17 Feb 2020, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apathetic
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 06 Feb 2020, 9:54 pm

apathetic wrote:Weapons Licencing are all over it these days :D :D
I lodged my pta 9:30am Monday,
Gunshop got the email Thursday arvo
:drinks:

I seem to be consistently waiting a minimum of two weeks for my PTA's to come through.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 22 Feb 2020, 11:50 am

Wife submitted a Cat H PTA about 2 weeks ago. Called weapons licencing yesterday and they said there is a 3 week backlog at the moment and it'll most likely be another week
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 22 Feb 2020, 12:34 pm

I called them on Thursday and was told that the Cat H license application backlog is currently about 12 weeks before they look at it, I'm only 6 weeks in and submitted my first PTA last week so it should be ready and waiting for the license approval which will likely be early April. (I don't want o say 'hopefully' as that's a terrible service but some have reported up to 7 months waiting and still no license)

I suspect that they have a much smaller team looking at Cat H licenses and PTAs as they do seem to be significantly slower at processing than the A/B
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 22 Feb 2020, 12:58 pm

I don't understand how it can be so slow. It has to be intentional incompetence that is rampant in the unchecked public sector. Background check does not take long and looking at a club membership and saftey course does not take long either.

The money came out of my account instantly but the product comes when it comes. Good luck surviving in the real world private sector with that attitude. You would loose all your customers. This is why I love capitalism. The free market destroyes incompetence.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 24 Mar 2020, 8:06 am

I put in a Cat A air rifle PTA on Sunday evening, got the email approval at 8am on Monday morning, just waiting for the email to get to the dealer and hoping that they will still be open when it gets there and not forced closed for being 'non-essential'
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by DaveZ » 24 Mar 2020, 5:39 pm

rc42 wrote:I put in a Cat A air rifle PTA on Sunday evening, got the email approval at 8am on Monday morning, just waiting for the email to get to the dealer and hoping that they will still be open when it gets there and not forced closed for being 'non-essential'

Wow, that's impressive. Must be luck of the draw, I put in my application on Friday, cat A 22lr, no word yet.

Cheers,
Dave.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 24 Mar 2020, 9:32 pm

Dealer got the PTA email about 3pm today so I dashed out and picked an air rifle from their stock.
Fastest PTA turnaround I've ever seen, maybe it's just air rifles that get the fast track as they don't really need any detailed consideration of what I already have under my license.

Anyway, only a few .177 rifles in stock so I had a feel of each and went for a Crossman TR77 Nitro Piston, lightweight, powerful but very loud and a nasty heavy long pull trigger that fires at some random point in its travel, unfortunately I couldn't test that in the store.
It will do though, with ranges closed it's safe to use on our small rural property so I can get my fix and practice off the shoulder shooting over the coming months.

Other countries have closed non essential retail outlets which includes gun stores, it's probably only a matter of time before it happens here too.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by DaveZ » 10 Apr 2020, 1:51 pm

rc42 wrote:Dealer got the PTA email about 3pm today so I dashed out and picked an air rifle from their stock.
Fastest PTA turnaround I've ever seen, maybe it's just air rifles that get the fast track as they don't really need any detailed consideration of what I already have under my license.

As I still have heard nothing on my PTA, I am surmising that I have to serve the 28 day waiting period again. It was only a few weeks after having my first firearms transferred to me that I submitted the next PTA. I'm guessing the first ones had not made it on to their system as yet. The government wheel sure turns slowly :roll: :roll:
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 10 Apr 2020, 4:11 pm

DaveZ wrote:As I still have heard nothing on my PTA, I am surmising that I have to serve the 28 day waiting period again. It was only a few weeks after having my first firearms transferred to me that I submitted the next PTA. I'm guessing the first ones had not made it on to their system as yet. The government wheel sure turns slowly :roll: :roll:

More than likely mate, I dropped in another PTA several weeks after booking my first out. Hadn't registered with WLB yet so needed to serve another 28 day wait. I gave them a bell to check how they were going and received the PTA application approval email, but stated the date that it would be officially approved/issued after the mandatory 28 days. I've heard you can't dial into WLB at current, so might just need to play the waiting game.

I'm not sure what havoc the current restrictions are playing on recent PTA applications, I was tempted to roll the dice and get another one moving, but don't want to get caught in the restrictions and not be able to actually purchase anything.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 11 Apr 2020, 1:57 am

The latest version of the Chief Health Officer directive on restrictions states that only PTAs issued prior to March 28th can be used for booking out firearms at a dealer so anyone that gets a PTA after that date will have to sit and watch the 6 month expiry getting closer with no ability to collect your firearm until the restrictions are lifted, or amended again.

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/system-go ... -direction

And yes, we know that this part of the directive has absolutely nothing to do with reducing spread of COVID-19 but the CHO directive tool is being used to push other labor/left political agendas.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by DaveZ » 11 Apr 2020, 6:28 am

rc42 wrote:The latest version of the Chief Health Officer directive on restrictions states that only PTAs issued prior to March 28th can be used for booking out firearms at a dealer so anyone that gets a PTA after that date will have to sit and watch the 6 month expiry getting closer with no ability to collect your firearm until the restrictions are lifted, or amended again.

I don't think that's quite right. I think if the PTA was issued prior to March 28th then there are no restrictions on acquiring the firearm, but if it was issued after that date then you have to have the appropriate code on your license and the rates notice/letter from landowner. That's how I read it anyway.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rwd22 » 11 Apr 2020, 6:45 am

I think RC is referring to the average shooter, not one with OC conditions or RE with rural pest permission. I don't currently have land owners permission for pest control, so I fall into the every other licence holder category (The ones that are still restricted). However, my current PTA was approved in Jan and my rifle has finally come in at LGS, I'll be picking it up today.
Rwd22
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 15 Apr 2020, 3:51 pm

Update from SSAA QLD Facebook page (about 15:00 on 15th April):

Please find below important information just received from Weapons Licensing Queensland in relation to the issuing of Permit to Acquires during COVID-19.

Good Afternoon,

As you are aware, the Queensland Chief Health Officer (CHO) has issued a non-essential business, activity and undertaking Closure Direction, which has determined licensed armourers and licensed dealers, as defined under the Weapons Act 1990, to be a non-essential business.

Weapons Licensing is continuing to process all applications that have been received and those that will be received into the future. The Permit to Acquire (PTA) will continue to be issued for 6 months in accordance with Section 45 of the Weapons Act 1990. Licence holders applying for PTAs should review their licence conditions to ensure they meet the series of exceptions listed in the direction prior to applying for a PTA. Whilst the CHO direction will not be an element of the application process, some licence holders not eligible to purchase firearms under the closure direction may find the PTA expiring should the health emergency declaration continue over the next 6 months and beyond.

PTA applications are being processed in order of receipt, with the majority of applications being processed within 21 days.

Weapons Licensing does not possess any authority to over-ride or amend a direction that has been issued by the Public Health Act or the Chief Health Officer. Due to the complex and evolving nature of the situation, we will endeavour to update our website with any changes to assist in keeping you informed. It is also recommended you monitor the Queensland Health site for any future amendments or revocations of directions.

Take care and stay safe.

D W BUST
INSPECTOR
WEAPONS LICENSING
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws