PTA wait time in QLD

Ask your firearm legal questions here. Firearms licensing and permits, storage, shooters rights information.

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Patriot » 22 Aug 2018, 6:29 pm

PTA lodged online 10am Monday approved 10am today, Wednesday.

As this my first will have to wait the 28 days but can’t complain about that.
Patriot
Private
Private
 
Posts: 47
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Ghoatman » 23 Aug 2018, 10:09 pm

As suspected whoever did my last 2 PTA's (they were a week apart) hadn't removed the 28 day period. Guy I spoke to at WLB was very helpful. Should come thru tomorrow or Monday. :D
Ghoatman
Private
Private
 
Posts: 14
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Daddybang » 24 Aug 2018, 6:54 am

Ghoatman wrote:As suspected whoever did my last 2 PTA's (they were a week apart) hadn't removed the 28 day period. Guy I spoke to at WLB was very helpful. Should come thru tomorrow or Monday. :D


Thanks for following that up ghoatman!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2458
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by drewvale » 24 Aug 2018, 7:59 pm

I applied PTA for 0.223 under dealer license A.
After this PTA approved can I use this PTA to buy firearms through dealer B?
Should I notify the WLB about the change?
drewvale
Private
Private
 
Posts: 7
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by dazz1975 » 01 Oct 2018, 5:40 pm

Very happy with QLD weapons branch in regards to PTA turn around time. I put in a PTW for a 12Guage break action on Tuesday 25th of Sep at 11.00AM and received approval on the 27th of Sep at 5.00PM.

The only issue I have had was that I could not source the shotty I wanted up in QLD. I had to order it from a LGS in Victoria and have it posted up to a LGS in Brisbane which cost me $45 for postage and LGS in Brisbane are charging me $50 to complete the transfer paperwork.

Even then it works out cheaper than if the LGS's in QLD had that shotty.
dazz1975
Private
Private
 
Posts: 10
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Rapid » 10 Oct 2018, 7:20 pm

Ghoatman wrote:As suspected whoever did my last 2 PTA's (they were a week apart) hadn't removed the 28 day period. Guy I spoke to at WLB was very helpful. Should come thru tomorrow or Monday. :D


After having my licence and first PTA approved on the 27th of Sept. I applied for another PTA on Oct. 2nd. Got the email today - approved but not available until 31st of Oct. So it looks like I've also been caught out by their incompetence. I'm starting to see why so many ppl are pissed at these public servants.
Last edited by Rapid on 10 Oct 2018, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rapid
Private
Private
 
Posts: 18
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by No1_49er » 10 Oct 2018, 8:02 pm

At the risk of being pedantic, I'll attempt to interpret your circumstance.

1 - Your first PTA was approved on Sep 27. You only say approved; have you received it and used it i.e. had the firearm brokered to your possession?
2 - You applied for a subsequent PTA five days later. Email indicating approval but not yet issued, for the reason that WLB stated.

Until you have had the first firearm brokered to your possession, WLB has nothing in their system to indicate that you already "hold a firearm under a licence". Until that happens, the waiting period is 28days, as required by the regulation.
If WLB does have a record of your ownership then "However, the period is the remainder of the day on which the applicant lodged the application for the permit, if the applicant already holds a firearm under a licence".

Make yourself aware of the Act, Regulations, and Categories Regulations. Free to download as pdf's.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 295
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Rapid » 10 Oct 2018, 10:40 pm

No1_49er wrote:At the risk of being pedantic, I'll attempt to interpret your circumstance.

1 - Your first PTA was approved on Sep 27. You only say approved; have you received it and used it i.e. had the firearm brokered to your possession?
2 - You applied for a subsequent PTA five days later. Email indicating approval but not yet issued, for the reason that WLB stated.

Until you have had the first firearm brokered to your possession, WLB has nothing in their system to indicate that you already "hold a firearm under a licence". Until that happens, the waiting period is 28days, as required by the regulation.
If WLB does have a record of your ownership then "However, the period is the remainder of the day on which the applicant lodged the application for the permit, if the applicant already holds a firearm under a licence".

Make yourself aware of the Act, Regulations, and Categories Regulations. Free to download as pdf's.


Thanks for the info.... The PTA has been faxed to the dealer. It wasn't that I've not read these things, it seems that I've misinterpreted the meaning of '...holds a firearm under licence...' with the word 'holds' not being clear to me as meaning pysical possession. And without knowing the reason behind this, It would seem illogical that if you're already approved why would physical possession be required to exonerate another 28 day wait? So if I now read this right, after I pick up first one on Friday, Ill give them a call and see if they can amend. If not then I'll just apply for another PTA and trash the other.
Rapid
Private
Private
 
Posts: 18
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Patriot » 11 Oct 2018, 10:25 am

Rapid wrote:
No1_49er wrote:At the risk of being pedantic, I'll attempt to interpret your circumstance.

1 - Your first PTA was approved on Sep 27. You only say approved; have you received it and used it i.e. had the firearm brokered to your possession?
2 - You applied for a subsequent PTA five days later. Email indicating approval but not yet issued, for the reason that WLB stated.

Until you have had the first firearm brokered to your possession, WLB has nothing in their system to indicate that you already "hold a firearm under a licence". Until that happens, the waiting period is 28days, as required by the regulation.
If WLB does have a record of your ownership then "However, the period is the remainder of the day on which the applicant lodged the application for the permit, if the applicant already holds a firearm under a licence".

Make yourself aware of the Act, Regulations, and Categories Regulations. Free to download as pdf's.


Thanks for the info.... The PTA has been faxed to the dealer. It wasn't that I've not read these things, it seems that I've misinterpreted the meaning of '...holds a firearm under licence...' with the word 'holds' not being clear to me as meaning pysical possession. And without knowing the reason behind this, It would seem illogical that if you're already approved why would physical possession be required to exonerate another 28 day wait? So if I now read this right, after I pick up first one on Friday, Ill give them a call and see if they can amend. If not then I'll just apply for another PTA and trash the other.

G’day Rapid

You say your picking up your first one on Friday
Does that mean your license card turned up?
Patriot
Private
Private
 
Posts: 47
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by No1_49er » 11 Oct 2018, 10:55 am

Rapid wrote: Thanks for the info.... The PTA has been faxed to the dealer. It wasn't that I've not read these things, it seems that I've misinterpreted the meaning of '...holds a firearm under licence...' with the word 'holds' not being clear to me as meaning pysical possession. And without knowing the reason behind this, It would seem illogical that if you're already approved why would physical possession be required to exonerate another 28 day wait? That's in accordance with the Act and Regulations. There's not much chance of changing what seems to be illogical. So if I now read this right, after I pick up first one on Friday, Ill give them a call and see if they can amend. Well, not quite. WLB will not be aware of you "holding under a licence" until the dealer has returned their paperwork to WLB and that info' has been processed into the system. If not then I'll just apply for another PTA and trash the other.

Sometimes, patience is a virtue.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 295
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Rapid » 11 Oct 2018, 11:42 am

Patriot wrote:G’day Rapid

You say your picking up your first one on Friday
Does that mean your license card turned up?


Hi Patriot,
Sorry mate - I should have updated the other thread. Yes it arrived late yesterday, so I can understand your frustration - you've certainly had the patience.
Rapid
Private
Private
 
Posts: 18
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Rapid » 12 Oct 2018, 1:53 pm

No1_49er wrote: Sometimes, patience is a virtue.


Yes true. However this was just frustration (my fault as it turns out), due to now having to make two 700km round trips to the dealer.
I spoke with WLB today and they are happy to remove the restriction as soon as the dealer submits the paper work later today.

Thanks for your input, I'm sure someone else new to the sport will find this exchange useful in the future.
Rapid
Private
Private
 
Posts: 18
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Mike Echo » 20 Oct 2018, 2:49 pm

Cat BTA applied for 2am Friday, approved this morning!
Mike Echo
Private
Private
 
Posts: 8
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by JSS » 22 Oct 2018, 4:06 pm

i put in 2 last week and both were approved by friday.
User avatar
JSS
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 114
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Daddybang » 15 Nov 2018, 7:47 am

You fellas getting 48 hour pta's are lucky...
My missus put one in last Friday still no response. ..so much for consistent service :unknown: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2458
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Slant225 » 19 Nov 2018, 11:52 pm

I put in for a PTA on Friday arvo 16/11 and had an email on Sunday 18/11. QLD WLB must be working OT!! Double time on Sunday makes the coin!!!
Slant225
Private
Private
 
Posts: 21
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Jakethefake » 23 Nov 2018, 2:00 pm

Just applied for a PTA this morning for an air rifle. First time I've done it with the online system. Last time I did one I still had to go to the police station.
Do I still have to wait for a paper copy in the mail before I can go pick up my rifle? Or will they email me a copy? I selected the fax to dealer option, maybe I don't need a copy at all if the dealer has it?
Jakethefake
Private
Private
 
Posts: 20
Queensland

Re: PTA wait time in QLD

Post by Daddybang » 23 Nov 2018, 2:11 pm

Gday Jake
If ya selected fax to dealer then ya won't receive anything else it'll go straight to ya dealer. Don't get too excited about 48 hr pta turn around as we've been waiting two weeks and counting so as usual wlb aren't exactly being consistent!!
:crazy: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2458
Queensland

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to Australian gun laws