Legal AR-15 in Australia?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 04 Apr 2014, 12:14 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it was legal to have an AR-15 or similar rifle in Aus if the gun has no gas system and low capacity magazines? I'm not actually thinking of getting one but I was curious as to the possibility of owning one.

Thanks ,

Nuke. :)
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Winchester Model 37a 12ga
Beretta Silver pigeon pump action 12ga
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Legal Ar-15 ?

Post by 5Tom » 04 Apr 2014, 6:58 pm

I'll take a guess and say it's illegal because it is still technically an "Assault Rifle" and will need a Cat D license for it.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 04 Apr 2014, 7:27 pm

Not really. There is a couple of straight pull based on ARs, but most states and territories have not allowed them due to the military appearance clause in our legislation. There was also one based off a HK too. Most of the firearms registries even get funny about bolt actions that take AR mags or guns chambered in 5.56 NATO not 223. If you get your collectors licence or dealers licence or set up a pro shooting company, you can get real ones.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 04 Apr 2014, 7:57 pm

Thanks guys,

The military appearance clause has got to be one of the most ridiculous laws getting around.

But as a primary producer would I be able to get my hands on a cat D and get an AR?
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksmanVIC » 04 Apr 2014, 8:41 pm

Most likely not...

"Any self-loading centre-fire rifle of a kind that is designed or adapted for military purposes"

Taken from the prohibited firearms clause. Who writes this garbage?
marksmanVIC
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 04 Apr 2014, 8:43 pm

NukeBOMB88 wrote:Thanks guys,
The military appearance clause has got to be one of the most ridiculous laws getting around. But as a primary producer would I be able to get my hands on a cat D and get an Ar?

To get cat D, you need to primarily employed as or derive most of your income from shooting ( work for or work as a pro shooter )
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Combat_Wombat » 04 Apr 2014, 9:22 pm

Surely an AR doesn't look and more "scary" then a fully decked out 7615 with pistol grip etc.. Anyone on the street would probably classify both as a machine gun haha
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 05 Apr 2014, 3:43 am

Combat_Wombat wrote:Surely an AR doesn't look and more "scary" then a fully decked out 7615 with pistol grip etc.. Anyone on the street would probably classify both as a machine gun haha

I bet channels 9 would call a 7615 an assault rifle or machine gun. Even some of those HR single shots look pretty scary too especially when you hang a torch on the barrel
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Chronos » 05 Apr 2014, 7:02 am

I've always frond the "military appearance" term interesting. My K98 Mauser is not only of military appearance, it was issued as a military weapon

Typically if you had the appropriate "genuine need" for a semi auto firearm you wouldn't need to ask on a forum because you'd be out every day shooting with one already.

There are no such restrictions on straight pull rifles, the Swiss k31 for example or some other ar15 style clones but these are not able to be converted back to semi which is the key. A mate shoots a hall manufactured ar15 straight pull but it cost him over $4K, give me a bolt gun any day at that price

Chronos

Ps yoshie, I think the thing about most if your income coming from commercial shooting only applies to the attorney generals import prohibited weapon permit but could be wrong
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 05 Apr 2014, 7:22 am

Chronos wrote:I've always frond the "military appearance" term interesting. My K98 Mauser is not only of military appearance, it was issued as a military weapon.

I suppose the issue is it looks like a simply, functional, tool. Which is what it is.

Doesn't have the features or stereotypical appearance needed to spin it into a story with buzzwords like "assault" and "weapon".
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Legal AR-15 in Australia?

Post by Will » 05 Apr 2014, 7:24 am

I'd say even your most uninformed civie would click that something isn't right when if they said "assault rifle" and had a picture of an 80 wooden bolt rifle above it :lol:

Just doesn't fit the images they've learnt to expect.
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Arth » 05 Apr 2014, 7:27 am

From Vic Pol

...designed or adapted for military purposes or substantially duplicates a 'militaristic-type' firearm in design, function or appearance.

You're gunna lose out of the 'design' and 'appearance' points there for sure.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 05 Apr 2014, 8:13 am

I bet channels 9 would call a 7615 an assault rifle or machine gun. Even some of those HR single shots look pretty scary too especially when you hang a torch on the barrel[/quote]

Funny you say that I remember seeing a picture of a "sniper rifle" in a newspaper that was used to hold up a servo and it was a single shot .22 with no scope!
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by 5Tom » 09 Apr 2014, 11:32 pm

If any ex-military WW2 rifle attached a bayonet to it, it is technically an "Assault Rifle" lol.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Arth » 10 Apr 2014, 8:54 am

NukeBOMB88 wrote:But as a primary producer would I be able to get my hands on a cat D and get an AR?

Cat D in Victoria is... "Semi-automatic rimfire rifles (magazine capacity of more than 10 rounds); semi-automatic shotguns (magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds); pump action shotguns (magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds); semi automatic centre fire rifles."

You can have a firearm which operates as described above unless prohibited elsewhere and/or for another reason.

I'm pretty sure the "military" restrictions override it, even though technically it fits the above description.

That's my understanding of it anyway.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hercl » 10 Apr 2014, 8:58 am

Arth wrote:You can have a firearm which operates as described above unless prohibited elsewhere and/or for another reason.

I'm pretty sure the "military" restrictions override it, even though technically it fits the above description.

I'm pretty sure that's right, as has been demonstrated on past occasions.

The M14 getting banned last year would be an example.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Will » 10 Apr 2014, 3:00 pm

Steve Lee did that video right?

He had one under his contract shooter license but had to hand it in because the some military somewhere was still using it which made it a "military firearm"?
Roessler Waffen Titan 6
Viper Vortex HS 4-16x44
Will
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 10 Apr 2014, 3:01 pm

What rubbish.

Like a deer gives a crap if it gets his with a 30 cal from a 'civilian' rifle or a 'military' rifle...

*sigh*
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Hercl » 10 Apr 2014, 3:02 pm

Will wrote:He had one under his contract shooter license but had to hand it in because the some military somewhere was still using it which made it a "military firearm"?

Specifically, I believe it was due to still being in use in the US military in some places.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 10 Apr 2014, 3:04 pm

Will wrote:He had one under his contract shooter license but had to hand it in because the some military somewhere was still using it which made it a "military firearm"?

I believe that's right. If a rifle is in active military use anywhere in the world it is forbidden here under one of the military firearm clauses.

I'm sure a few slip through the cracks as there are too many countries and too many firearms to get it 100%, but they're obviously working on it with efforts like banning the M14.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JC102 » 25 Apr 2014, 10:03 am

Will wrote:Steve Lee did that video right?

He had one under his contract shooter license but had to hand it in because the some military somewhere was still using it which made it a "military firearm"?

Speaking of Steve Lee, does anyone know what happened to him? He hasn't posted a video in months.

His video, "Time to Get a Gun" was deleted for some reason. It involved him shooting a variety of semi-auto's, as well as a pump-action shotgun into a moving ute, which was later set on fire and shot up. Maybe he ran into some legal issues?
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by WesleySnipes » 25 Apr 2014, 6:37 pm

Steve Lee has disappeared from the face of the planet it seems, he has been slightly active on his Facebook though, from memory at Christmas.

And we all know every firearm can be used to assault people, which is exactly why the military firearm laws are ridiculous, an AR-15 doesn't make something any more dead than a Mini 14 because of its scary looks.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 25 Apr 2014, 8:06 pm

Just say they did release a bolt action AR here and it was a reasonable price would anyone get one? I can't be the only person out there that thinks picatinny rail feels like crap haha
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by NukeBOMB88 » 25 Apr 2014, 8:09 pm

I think I probably would, but my only reason for getting one would be that they looks so baddass :lol:
Ruger M77 Mkii VT .204
Jw-15e .22
Howa 1500 .223
Howa 1500 .30-06
NukeBOMB88
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 25 Apr 2014, 8:25 pm

:lol: Touché
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by feedr » 26 Apr 2014, 8:21 pm

WesleySnipes wrote:Steve Lee has disappeared from the face of the planet it seems, he has been slightly active on his Facebook though, from memory at Christmas.

This could be just the rumour mill but it's what I read on the net some time ago...

Apparently he lost his license? The story was that in one of his videos he had his Cat C out and left the room during the video (left the rifle unattended) so gone done for improper storage or something along those lines?

As I said could be wrong, if so apologies to Steve. That's just what I read...
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Lyam » 26 Apr 2014, 8:26 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Just say they did release a bolt action AR here and it was a reasonable price would anyone get one?

I reckon there would be a huge 'cool factor' make up on it and it would cost a fortune.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by tripletwo » 26 Apr 2014, 8:30 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:Just say they did release a bolt action AR here and it was a reasonable price would anyone get one?

I suppose you could just buy a Rem 700 and the TAC21 chassis to get basically that now...

$700 for the chassis I think, plus whatever the rifle costs.
tripletwo
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by JC102 » 27 Apr 2014, 6:38 pm

feedr wrote:This could be just the rumour mill but it's what I read on the net some time ago...

Apparently he lost his license? The story was that in one of his videos he had his Cat C out and left the room during the video (left the rifle unattended) so gone done for improper storage or something along those lines?

As I said could be wrong, if so apologies to Steve. That's just what I read...

I hope that's not the case.

I noticed another video of him shooting handguns with his son on private property was also deleted. Unless I'm mistaken, no state or territory allows you to shoot a pistol on private property.

Anyway, I hope he makes an update video soon.
JC102
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by feedr » 28 Apr 2014, 11:35 am

JC102 wrote:I noticed another video of him shooting handguns with his son on private property was also deleted. Unless I'm mistaken, no state or territory allows you to shoot a pistol on private property.

Sound like what I heard.

Unless he was shooting overseas I believe you're correct. No Australian state allows pistol shooting on private property.
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Next

Return to Victorian gun laws