Acquiring C & D licence for chopper shooting

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Acquiring C & D licence for chopper shooting

Post by Combat_Wombat » 18 May 2014, 10:06 pm

A family member is in the process of getting his private helicopter licence and buy his own two seater.

Would I be able to get my C &D licence based off the fact that I would be going out regularly to cull pigs on his property or does it need to be through a company?
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Acquiring C & D licence for chopper shooting

Post by Baronvonrort » 19 May 2014, 10:07 am

Is he getting a R22?

To do the aerial culling course you need a category D licence, the R22 is ok for aerial culling IMO yet the government programs do not allow the R22 because it is a piston and not a turbine engine.

Not 100% sure of Qld laws yet in NSW category C is only available to Primary producers as defined by the tax dept, Cat D requires evidence like contracts to shoot along with payment details to be approved, i think you need a minimum of 3 contracts to qualify.

I think in Qld all you need to do is prove you have a significant infestation of feral pests on your property to get a Cat D weapon,you are restricted in only using this firearm on the nominated property.

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/w ... rimary.htm
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Combat_Wombat » 19 May 2014, 11:34 am

He's looking at the A600 Talon which is pretty similar and has a piston engine.

The property is in Qld and absolutely crawling with pigs that hide in about 40 acres of swamp so hopefully that's a just cause.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Baronvonrort » 19 May 2014, 12:22 pm

If you can provide sufficient evidence of feral pest infestation they could approve one cat d weapon, take photos/videos showing why a Cat B weapon is inadequate, they might also require you to prove why 1080 has not been effective, i would argue using 1080 promotes animal cruelty as some take up to 4 days to die with a slow horrible death after being poisoned,1080 does not discriminate in what it kills,carcasses remain toxic when poisoned with 1080 so must be retrieved and burnt or buried according to the user guidelines for 1080.

This video shows aerial culling from a R22, i would say the shooter is cat B, if he was Cat D and certified for aerial culling he would be using a semi auto 308.
According to the aerial culling rules he should have turned back to finish off 1 pig, he was not allowed to shoot the pig that entered the water,there are other mistakes like he should target the rear pigs and move forward when he has the pack on the run, it also shows a 223 is not that effective on the bigger pigs yet ok for smaller ones.

Enjoy-
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82826103
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by jeener » 19 May 2014, 1:52 pm

Man, that must be some seriously challenging shooting from a chopper at moving targets.

How many times have you heard 'shot placement is everything'.

Shooting from a chopper must be heaps of pot luck on where shots hit?
jeener
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 19 May 2014, 2:21 pm

jeener wrote:How many times have you heard 'shot placement is everything'.

Shooting from a chopper must be heaps of pot luck on where shots hit?

As has also been said in a lot of hunting conversations, .308 is 'a lot' of gun for many hunting situations.

Small deer, average pigs, goats, roos etc. don't "need" a .308 even though that's what's required for contract shooting.

Ethical hunting and dispatching animals as painlessly as possible is obviously high on the list of essentials when it's contract shooting endorsed by the government.

The extra bang of the .308 gives more of a buffer on shot placement etc. in situations like this to still be effective if a shot isn't perfect (and in every day shooting).
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 19 May 2014, 2:22 pm

Should add that .308's required for contract shooting in NSW.

Not sure about all other states?
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jeener » 19 May 2014, 2:22 pm

Fair enough regarding the .308.

Still, I don't reckon I could hit a thing from a chopper :lol:
jeener
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 19 May 2014, 3:26 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:I think in Qld all you need to do is prove you have a significant infestation of feral pests on your property to get a Cat D weapon,you are restricted in only using this firearm on the nominated property.

Combat_Wombat wrote:The property is in Qld and absolutely crawling with pigs that hide in about 40 acres of swamp so hopefully that's a just cause.

I think where you're going to come undone is that it has to be your property in a sense.

Are you a part owner at all? Paying any of the bills? Taking any of the profits?

Could you claim to be a resident? e.g. is it your olds place and/or a former residence when you were younger?

As operators/residence I'm sure they'll be ok to get the license, but I'm less confidence about your chances.

I believe the fuzz see it as your family may need it, not you.

'helping out a mate/family member' isn't a genuine reason AFAIK...
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Norton » 19 May 2014, 3:28 pm

Some highlights from the QLD Pol website on this...

Additional requirements for Category C

In addition to the above requirements, for a licence to be endorsed for Category C weapons you must also provide:

Proof that the applicant has a significant feral animal/vermin infestation problem on their property and other methods of eradication such as use of Category A and B firearm or baiting have proven unsuccessful

A statement of how long you have owned/occupied the property and, if you do not reside on the property, how often you attend it; and

Details of any other Category C licence holders on the property.

If you're not significantly involved I don't think that will cut it. Especially if the owners already have been given Cat C/D licenses.

Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by headspace » 20 May 2014, 9:22 pm

I think that bloke in the video had done it before a couple of times. I've in quite a few of those Robinsons and getting a good shot off would take second place to personal survival. Particularly if the pilot insists on doing the tricky little loops on lift off.
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by von_klitzing » 21 May 2014, 7:03 am

From memory, (when I appd for mine) In qld, the property owner needs to have a cat c licence, then you can qualify as an employee. You are restricted to one cat c weapon and may only use it on the property you specify on application, although you may store it at your place of residence. Definitely worth studying the legislation and applying for everything you can :)
Let me know if you need a hand on the ground! ;)
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 21 May 2014, 5:31 pm

Yeah don't like my chances it's my uncles property with 3 licences shooters on it. Two of them aren't interested in the paperwork invoked and the other one will be flying. So really I need to move out there to get it.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brisb » 21 May 2014, 6:25 pm

Hmm. Maybe that works for you?

3 shooters, but... Could that help you with this?

and other methods of eradication such as use of Category A and B firearm or baiting have proven unsuccessful

Hmm?
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 21 May 2014, 7:05 pm

We'll at any rate this will all be happening over the next 12-18 months so plenty of time to get knocked back and try again.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Old Fart » 21 May 2014, 7:14 pm

Patience is a virtue ;)
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by von_klitzing » 21 May 2014, 7:35 pm

Also, in my experience with QLD licensing, there is no need to try to be sneaky about it. You can call the licensing branch and talk to them about your situation and ask how you could qualify to get your Cat C and/or D licenses.

If you can't, ask how you can take steps to achieve it. If you are up front they can really help you out, it's their job.

I called prior to applying for mine to make sure it was all ok and they let me know it should be fine.

Some guys from work down south that came upon an issue where he had trouble applying for more than 4-5 weapons of the same caliber, his next PTA got knocked back. He called the Licensing branch and explained his situation and they helped him push it through.

Pretty sure he's got more than that now as well.

Point is if you contact them they should help you out.
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 23 May 2014, 8:53 am

von_klitzing wrote:Some guys from work down south that came upon an issue where he had trouble applying for more than 4-5 weapons of the same caliber, his next PTA got knocked back. He called the Licensing branch and explained his situation and they helped him push it through.

I don't suppose you know the reason they quoted for knocking it back?

I know of this happening a few times (not personally... reading forums, comments from guys at the range etc.) getting knocked back because they had their 4th or 5th .30 cal, but to the best of my knowledge there is no limitation in the firearms act or elsewhere that limits the number of rifles you can have in the same calibre.

Or the number of rifles at all for that matter.

I ask as "his situation" shouldn't matter and while he's a LAFO he shouldn't be able to be knocked back (to the best of my knowledge).

Any info on the specifics would be appreciated.

Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by beerd » 23 May 2014, 9:11 am

Norton wrote:I know of this happening a few times (not personally... reading forums, comments from guys at the range etc.) getting knocked back because they had their 4th or 5th .30 cal, but to the best of my knowledge there is no limitation in the firearms act or elsewhere that limits the number of rifles you can have in the same calibre.

Or the number of rifles at all for that matter.

I ask as "his situation" shouldn't matter and while he's a LAFO he shouldn't be able to be knocked back (to the best of my knowledge).

I read another forum members comment he got knocked back on his 30th something .308 knocked back because he had too many. He wrote them a letter saying something to the same effect, asking them to point our where in the FA the number was limited.

Bit of fuss and back and forth and it got approved.
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by shapeshifter » 07 Jan 2017, 10:03 am

In Victoria, it seems that the number of Cat B firearms already in possession does come into consideration

FIREARMS ACT 1996 - SECT 104

General discretion of Chief Commissioner to refuse to issue a permit to acquire
(1) The Chief Commissioner must not issue a permit to acquire—
(d) unless—
(ii) in the case of an application for a permit to acquire a category B longarm or a general category handgun, the applicant has demonstrated a genuine need to possess, carry or use a category B longarm or a general category handgun

(2) In determining whether or not an applicant has a genuine need to possess, carry or use a category B longarm or a general category handgun, the Chief Commissioner must have regard to—
(a) in the case of a category B longarm, whether or not the need expressed by the applicant cannot be satisfied by the possession, carriage or use of a category A longarm; and
(b) in any case, the number, category and type of firearms already possessed by the applicant; and
(c) any other prescribed matter.

By the way, isn't a 30 cal a Cat B?
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

I was born with nothing and at 45, I still have most of it left!
shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws