Acquiring C & D licence for chopper shooting

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: Acquiring C & D licence for chopper shooting

Post by beerd » 23 May 2014, 9:11 am

Norton wrote:I know of this happening a few times (not personally... reading forums, comments from guys at the range etc.) getting knocked back because they had their 4th or 5th .30 cal, but to the best of my knowledge there is no limitation in the firearms act or elsewhere that limits the number of rifles you can have in the same calibre.

Or the number of rifles at all for that matter.

I ask as "his situation" shouldn't matter and while he's a LAFO he shouldn't be able to be knocked back (to the best of my knowledge).

I read another forum members comment he got knocked back on his 30th something .308 knocked back because he had too many. He wrote them a letter saying something to the same effect, asking them to point our where in the FA the number was limited.

Bit of fuss and back and forth and it got approved.
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Acquiring C & D licence for chopper shooting

Post by shapeshifter » 07 Jan 2017, 10:03 am

In Victoria, it seems that the number of Cat B firearms already in possession does come into consideration

FIREARMS ACT 1996 - SECT 104

General discretion of Chief Commissioner to refuse to issue a permit to acquire
(1) The Chief Commissioner must not issue a permit to acquire—
(d) unless—
(ii) in the case of an application for a permit to acquire a category B longarm or a general category handgun, the applicant has demonstrated a genuine need to possess, carry or use a category B longarm or a general category handgun

(2) In determining whether or not an applicant has a genuine need to possess, carry or use a category B longarm or a general category handgun, the Chief Commissioner must have regard to—
(a) in the case of a category B longarm, whether or not the need expressed by the applicant cannot be satisfied by the possession, carriage or use of a category A longarm; and
(b) in any case, the number, category and type of firearms already possessed by the applicant; and
(c) any other prescribed matter.

By the way, isn't a 30 cal a Cat B?
Zastava .22lr
Howa 1500 .243
Tikka T3x 30-06

I was born with nothing and at 45, I still have most of it left!
shapeshifter
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws