Firearm storage in a rental house/apartment?

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Firearm storage in a rental house/apartment?

Post by Bauer » 10 Jun 2014, 10:24 pm

Hi all

Does anyone know something about storing firearms if you're just renting the the property?

Like would you need to let the real estate or owner know you have firearms? Even if you didn't tell them, won't they see the holes bolted through the floor or wall where the safe was, and that's technically damaging the property? Are timber floors worse to bolt through?

If you do let them know beforehand, would that freak them out and have them refuse your application?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions
Bauer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Firearm storage in a rental house/apartment?

Post by Decoy » 10 Jun 2014, 10:44 pm

Its blured line.. but with a bit of common sense and practicality you should be fine.

No you do not have to tell your landlord you have firearms.
You are entitled to fix things to walls.
Look for somewhere to mount the safe that is out of sight, like under a stairway, in a builtin cupboard/wardrobe, laundry or in the garage.
As long as you can repair the bolt holes and undercoat/paint the area when you leave their should be no problems.

Pistol safes can be mounted back down with the door opening upward inside a builtin wordrobe etc..

Be creative.
Decoy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 10 Jun 2014, 11:57 pm

You really need someone in your own state to answer that has been in the same situation.

BUT, if it was me I would just drill the holes in the wall & floor to make sure it's secure.

As Decoy said, you can always patch the holes irrespective what material they are drilled into.

Most paint stores can match even in a small tin a colour that is old. Putty the holes up, paint and nobody will know the difference.

Tell anyone beforehand, no...!!!! The least they know the better.

Main point is, secure your forearms. It's your license at stake.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Jun 2014, 5:38 am

Just bolt it down in the garage, when you leave patch the holes with concrete, no big deal, no need to tell the real estate or owner etc (well I wouldn't if it was me) I'd just put the bloody thing in and as I said patch the holes with concrete when your leave.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Fozzy » 11 Jun 2014, 10:30 am

I just asked my Landlord if they would mind if I installed a safe to protect my valuables.. I offered to leave the safe or repair the holes when I left.

I got a reply of yes thats fine and patched the holes when I left and was all sweet.
Fozzy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by handofcod » 11 Jun 2014, 10:38 am

I live in a rental too and this was one of the major impediments to getting a licence. My solution was to bolt it down inside a wardrobe which took a bit of work. I had to use a big bit of ply behind the safe because the skirting board meant I couldn't get the unit flush with the wall. I've gone through the plaster into the frame and this will have to be filled and painted when I leave.

The agent won't know that though because they can't tell it's been bolted at all (unless they know about firearm requirements which in Melbourne isn't a worry). In fact I doubt they even know it's there period. You can close the wardrobe and not know it's there at all and agents aren't allowed to open wardrobes in inspection.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by vexesus » 11 Jun 2014, 4:55 pm

Bauer wrote:Even if you didn't tell them, won't they see the holes bolted through the floor or wall where the safe was, and that's technically damaging the property? Are timber floors worse to bolt through?

Another option... Don't forget you can get a 150kg+ safe then it doesn't have to be bolted at all.
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Klem » 11 Jun 2014, 4:56 pm

Apollo wrote:BUT, if it was me I would just drill the holes in the wall & floor to make sure it's secure.

As Decoy said, you can always patch the holes irrespective what material they are drilled into.

Walls yes, not hardwood floors though.

A hole in a wall is good as wall with some putty and paint. A hole through the floor isn't. I'd be pissed if someone did that to mine without asking.
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Klem » 11 Jun 2014, 4:58 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Just bolt it down in the garage, when you leave patch the holes with concrete, no big deal, no need to tell the real estate or owner etc

+1

Do it in the garage in the concrete.
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Xerox » 11 Jun 2014, 4:59 pm

Fozzy wrote:I just asked my Landlord if they would mind if I installed a safe to protect my valuables.. I offered to leave the safe or repair the holes when I left.

I got a reply of yes thats fine and patched the holes when I left and was all sweet.

Do this.

They don't need to know it's a "gun safe".

It's just a "safe" as far as they're concerned.
Xerox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bauer » 11 Jun 2014, 11:41 pm

handofcod wrote:I live in a rental too and this was one of the major impediments to getting a licence. My solution was to bolt it down inside a wardrobe which took a bit of work. I had to use a big bit of ply behind the safe because the skirting board meant I couldn't get the unit flush with the wall. I've gone through the plaster into the frame and this will have to be filled and painted when I leave.

The agent won't know that though because they can't tell it's been bolted at all (unless they know about firearm requirements which in Melbourne isn't a worry). In fact I doubt they even know it's there period. You can close the wardrobe and not know it's there at all and agents aren't allowed to open wardrobes in inspection.

Have you got carpet? Holes in the carpet are a whole other issue.

Regarding the safe itself I regret getting the one I did. It was the cheapest there. Since I'll only have the a/b license for a while I got a rifle safe that's a bit too long to fit anywhere but the garage. Pretty sure it also says something like 'rifles' on it. Not a very discreet thing
Bauer
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by handofcod » 12 Jun 2014, 10:54 am

Yes, the wardrobe has carpet however the safe itself is bolted to the wall only.

Speaking of discreet mine came with a big white emblem on it that practically said "hey! there are guns in here!" so I sprayed over it with black enamel.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Chickenhawk » 18 Jun 2014, 10:15 pm

I wonder about that for stickers on cars some times.

"follow me home and steal my guns"?

Heaps of blokes with Browning, Winchester stickers. A bloke near my place has more stickers than paint on this ute.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by sha » 19 Jun 2014, 10:32 pm

It's probably contributed to something at some point I guess.

Not something I'll be sticking on my car any time, but I'm a bit of a worrier over this stuff.
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by lesnar39 » 08 Aug 2017, 4:57 pm

Hello,

The requirements to fit a gun cabinet are as follows: May be bolted to a solid wall, out of sight of exit doors and windows. No gap should be between the wall and the cabinet. If this is not possible consider either the loft by securing to the beams or on the floor bolted to the beams. If still not sure suggest you contact you local firearms licensing officer and request a visit to discuss where to secure the gun cabinet. You may also want to consider if the cabinet has an integral ammo compartment or where you intend securing your ammo. A small combination safe bolted to a solid wall works.

In relation to putting a cabinet into a garage - integral - same rules apply solid wall etc. Might need extra security on the garage door. Detached garage - same rules solid wall etc If in doubt request an FEO attends for advice.

I'm about to move into a rented house for a year and will also be applying for my FAC in a few months, having started shooting .22LR at my local rifle club.

It occurred to me there may be some issues with this in terms of storage of firearms in a rented property... the specific questions I had were:

1: Assuming the landlord is happy for this to happen, does it affect their buildings insurance to have a tenant's guns or ammo on the property?

2: What is the physical demands of attaching a gun cabinet to a wall... ie: how much damage will it actually cause... are we taking a few small raw plugs or several dirty great M10+ raw bolts and massive wall damage?

3: Is it vaguely viable to secure a gun cabinet in a garage or outbuilding not attached to a residential dwelling? The property we are moving to has a very new block built the secure garage behind the property only accessible through locked gates at the front of the house. Is this vaguely viable or would it need steel plate reinforced doors, security systems etc to be accepted if the gun cabinet was securely bolted to a block wall, maybe even hidden under a bench or similar, inside the garage building?

If anyone has experience of any of these issues or could offer advice before we sign the tenancy agreement... that'd be a massive help!

Many thanks

Private Landlords that accept DSS
Last edited by lesnar39 on 11 Aug 2017, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lesnar39
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Aug 2017, 11:31 am

1. Don't know

2. Two m10 bolts will be OK. One in the floor and one in a stud would be ok

3. Storage in a safe in a locked garage is fine.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 09 Aug 2017, 12:39 pm

I am in VIC, so double check for QLD. In VIC, no, you don't need to let anyone know. And you need to be given notice for inspection. Mount the safe in a wardrobe and fix the wall when vacating. On inspection, close the wardrobe and if agent tries to open it, instruct them not to, due to personal and private possession. They are not allowed to rummage through your things. The end.

People make this into an issue... This not even a blimp on a radar. As an (ex) landlord, this is like the least of my concerns, not even a little. Also, it's a 'legal thing' so making demands like what possession you can and can't have is a very dangerous game. It's unreasonable and if you ever by freak of nature find a c*** who objects, challenge it in the tribunal. You will win. You will also cause them an enormous amount of inconvenience and financial loss (property is there to make money, not lose it, so it will almost never get to that), which is why it's a non issue for everyone, other than paranoid shooters :)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Aug 2017, 2:42 pm

lesnar39 wrote:Hello,

The requirements to fit a gun cabinet are as follows: May be bolted to a solid wall, out of sight of exit doors and windows. No gap should be between the wall and the cabinet. If this is not possible consider either the loft by securing to the beams or on the floor bolted to the beams. If still not sure suggest you contact you local firearms licensing officer and request a visit to discuss where to secure the gun cabinet. You may also want to consider if the cabinet has an integral ammo compartment or where you intend securing your ammo. A small combination safe bolted to a solid wall works.

In relation to putting a cabinet into a garage - integral - same rules apply solid wall etc. Might need extra security on the garage door. Detached garage - same rules solid wall etc If in doubt request an FEO attends for advice.

I'm about to move into a rented house for a year and will also be applying for my FAC in a few months, having started shooting .22LR at my local rifle club.

It occurred to me there may be some issues with this in terms of storage of firearms in a rented property... the specific questions I had were:

1: Assuming the landlord is happy for this to happen, does it affect their buildings insurance to have a tenant's guns or ammo on the property?

2: What is the physical demands of attaching a gun cabinet to a wall... ie: how much damage will it actually cause... are we taking a few small raw plugs or several dirty great M10+ raw bolts and massive wall damage?

3: Is it vaguely viable to secure a gun cabinet in a garage or outbuilding not attached to a residential dwelling? The property we are moving to has a very new block built the secure garage behind the property only accessible through locked gates at the front of the house. Is this vaguely viable or would it need steel plate reinforced doors, security systems etc to be accepted if the gun cabinet was securely bolted to a block wall, maybe even hidden under a bench or similar, inside the garage building?

If anyone has experience of any of these issues or could offer advice before we sign the tenancy agreement... that'd be a massive help!

Many thanks

1. I can't see any way that it could have any bearing at all, but maybe they have a policy with an anti-gun insurer?
2. It's be 10mm bolts or coach screws, but only a matter of patching the holes and maybe some paint when you remove the safe.
3. My safes are in a secure room in our farm shed. Had a surprise inspection yesterday, big job emptying the safes but was all good. Our wireless internet/landline connection is line-of-site to a repeater on a tower. To get it to the house we'd need a huge antenna so we had the connection made to the top shed. Which is good for a monitored alarm system.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dexer » 09 Aug 2017, 3:07 pm

There's no specific requirement on screw or bolt sizes, in fact, fixing it could even be via some other means. The legislation says it must:

... be fixed to the frame
of the floor or the wall of the premises
where
the firearm is kept in such a manner that it is
not easily removable

So that's open to interpretation though obviously if you've got a lot of give or the safe moves around a lot/can be wobbled, you might want to 'secure' it a bit further...

I think the word "frame" may be specific though, in other words, you can't just screw/bolt it into a wall in a wardrobe if it's just plaster behind it.
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws