Is it legal to have ammo on display?

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Is it legal to have ammo on display?

Post by Matt1 » 29 Aug 2013, 10:15 pm

Hi all,

Long story short, I'd like to do a little display of some of the shooting stuff I've collected. Stuff like a piece of brass from calibres I've shot, interesting bullets, things like that...

Legally what's the story here? What can I keep out and what can't I? Don't want to get myself in trouble over anything obviously...

I'm in Victoria by the way.

Thanks all.
Matt1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Is it legal to have ammo on display?

Post by Blackened » 30 Aug 2013, 3:46 pm

Spent brass is Ok.

No primers though, powder, anything that goes bang... And I wouldn't keep out anything which makes up part of the action of a rifle like a barrel or a bolt.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 30 Aug 2013, 3:52 pm

As you're in Victoria, a collection of brass is no problem.

The same can not be said for all states though. *cough WA sucks *cough*

Shooters in other states should check with their firearm registries.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Matt1 » 30 Aug 2013, 4:03 pm

Blackened wrote:I wouldn't keep out anything which makes up part of the action of a rifle like a barrel or a bolt.

Not that I have a spare one, but a barrel would be a cool display piece...

You're seriously not allowed one though? A thief wouldn't be able to do much with just a barrel :?
Matt1
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 30 Aug 2013, 4:14 pm

Matt1 wrote:Not that I have a spare one, but a barrel would be a cool display piece...

You're seriously not allowed one though? A thief wouldn't be able to do much with just a barrel :?

No you wouldn't, but the logic is that if they didn't restrict individual parts you could buy "just a barrel", then "just a trigger assembly", then "just a bolt" and so on until you had a working rifle.

Fair enough to some extent obviously...

They really need to sort out where the line is though, we still have to put up with rubbish like customs seizing stocks because they're "military equipment" and s**t like that :roll:

A lump of wood has the same potential as a rifle action apparently :roll:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Redwood » 30 Aug 2013, 4:19 pm

Matt1 wrote:Not that I have a spare one, but a barrel would be a cool display piece...

I actually spoke to someone at the Police stand at the Melbourne Shot Show a few months ago about this.

A barrel is definitely not Ok according to them.

Treated as an unsecured firearm if you leave it out, or an unlicensed/unregistered firearm if you have one without a license/permit.
Redwood
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Turkle » 02 Sep 2013, 2:58 pm

The Shot Show was good I reckon. First time I'd been to such a thing :)

Can't quote any legal stuff here, but you can buy brass and bullets without a license, so that would say to me that it's ok to have on display...
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Kater » 02 Sep 2013, 4:00 pm

Turkle wrote:The Shot Show was good I reckon. First time I'd been to such a thing :)

Can't quote any legal stuff here, but you can buy brass and bullets without a license, so that would say to me that it's ok to have on display...

I went also. Plenty of people buying fun bullets for collectables like .700 Nitro Express and big calibres like that.

It was Woodleigh Bullets that was there I think? I got a bunch of souvenirs bullets from them without being asked for license.
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws