QLD weapons licencing waits

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: QLD weapons licencing waits

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jun 2018, 2:45 pm

Daddybang wrote:The waiting period only covers when a decision can be made not when it has to be made by. Eg for second and subsequent pta a decision can be made the day after the app has been lodged or it can be made weeks after the app has been lodged a simple way to fix this would be to regulate a maximum wait time. :drinks:

If you apply the waiting periods described in the Regulations, to section 42 of the act being,

42 Authorised officer decides application
(1) An authorised officer must decide an application for a permit to acquire a weapon as soon as practicable after the end of any period that may be prescribed for this section under a regulation.
(2) In deciding the application, the authorised officer may consider anything at the officer’s disposal.
(3) The authorised officer must consider the following things when deciding whether the applicant has a need to possess the weapon—
(a) whether the applicant’s requirements can be adequately met in a way not involving the use of a weapon or by using a weapon of another category or type;
(b) whether the applicant possesses other weapons, and in particular other weapons of that category or type;
(c) another thing prescribed under a regulation.
(4) To remove any doubt, a collector may have a need for a particular weapon even though the collector already possesses a weapon of the same category or type.

(5) The authorised officer must—
(a) approve the application and issue the permit to acquire subject to any conditions the authorised officer may decide; or
(b) reject the application.

The key point here is, "as soon as practicable after the end of any period that may be prescribed for this section under a regulation," as you correctly say, there is no defined period for the processing of the application, these sections apply only to the, "waiting period," however I would suggest that if taken to task properly, they may have to justify their actions or lack thereof, given the, "as soon as practicable," clause.

As you would see from the other thread on firearms laws, that I posted in this section, the QLD SFFP are wanting to get rid of the waiting periods and registration altogether, we also want to see the legislation changed so that it properly reflects what should be it's purpose, the enhancement of public safety, and we want to remove grey ares such as the example above, the best way to get people to obey the law, is to make it as easy as possible to understand.
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 18 Jun 2018, 3:30 pm

Yep magnum it's that "as soon as practicable" part. Wlb simply uses the" large number of applications" defense to prove that it's not practicable to process any quicker. I've questioned wlb on a couple of occasions over this maybe if we can get your mob into parliament and make it a political issue things might be different or even get shooters union onto it. It would be great to see it gone altogether :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jun 2018, 7:47 pm

Daddybang wrote:Yep magnum it's that "as soon as practicable" part. Wlb simply uses the" large number of applications" defense to prove that it's not practicable to process any quicker. I've questioned wlb on a couple of occasions over this maybe if we can get your mob into parliament and make it a political issue things might be different or even get shooters union onto it. It would be great to see it gone altogether :thumbsup: :drinks:

That's our aim mate, :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Ghoatman » 19 Jun 2018, 4:31 pm

Applied on 08/03/18. Cat A/B under Target/Sports reason. Also applied for 1x .22LR PTA and 1x .223 PTA
Got to bang on 12 week date, called WLB, got a "don't know how long it will be" response. They wouldn't even give me a rough idea.
Submitted a complaint via the QPS website, detailing what had happened up until this point. Quoted my application number and required details
Got an email 2 days later for ID check. Never actually got a response to the complaint, I'll take the ID check email as their response.
Did ID check, another 3 days and I have been approved, one f my PTAs (.22LR) also came thru immediately.
Wait another week, still nothing on the .223 PTA which was strange. Gave WLB a call, person on the other end was extremely helpful. Had a look into it while I was on hold, was told that something was not done correctly but all the checks were OK. Approved it on the spot and got the email about an hour later. PTA arrived a LGS a day later.
Still waiting on the plastic in the mail, has been approx 10 days since I received the licence approved email.

I can understand that WLB are busy, understaffed etc, but they just need to be transparent about the wait/processing times. Not knowing is half the frustration!

Edit: Card arrived in the mail today.:D
Ghoatman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 19 Jun 2018, 9:37 pm

Ghoatman wrote:Applied on 08/03/18. Cat A/B under Target/Sports reason. Also applied for 1x .22LR PTA and 1x .223 PTA
Got to bang on 12 week date, called WLB, got a "don't know how long it will be" response. They wouldn't even give me a rough idea.
Submitted a complaint via the QPS website, detailing what had happened up until this point. Quoted my application number and required details
Got an email 2 days later for ID check. Never actually got a response to the complaint, I'll take the ID check email as their response.
Did ID check, another 3 days and I have been approved, one f my PTAs (.22LR) also came thru immediately.
Wait another week, still nothing on the .223 PTA which was strange. Gave WLB a call, person on the other end was extremely helpful. Had a look into it while I was on hold, was told that something was not done correctly but all the checks were OK. Approved it on the spot and got the email about an hour later. PTA arrived a LGS a day later.
Still waiting on the plastic in the mail, has been approx 10 days since I received the licence approved email.

I can understand that WLB are busy, understaffed etc, but they just need to be transparent about the wait/processing times. Not knowing is half the frustration!

Edit: Card arrived in the mail today.:D

That's it, if people know what is going on, they are more likely to be understanding.
Member-Deleted

Post by Tony86 » 21 Jun 2018, 9:10 am

Hi all ,Update

Applied for license Cat A/B 26/03
ID check 18/06 (after phoning up on the 12 week mark)
Licence Approved 20/06 :thumbsup:
PTA Approved 21/06

I phoned up on the 12 week mark, The guy that answered the phone was great I told him I hit the 12 week Mark and he started my assessment straight away.
After reading through some of the comments on here it seems like luck on who picks up the phone at weapons licencing if they want to help or say "we dont know how long"

Can't wait for my first trip to Ripley range :D
Last edited by Tony86 on 21 Jun 2018, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tony86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Jun 2018, 9:43 am

Tony86 wrote:Hi all ,Update

Licence Approval 20/06 :thumbsup:
PTA should not be to far off

I phoned up on the 12 week mark, The guy that answered the phone was great I told him I hit the 12 week Mark and he started my assessment straight away.
After reading through some of the comments on here it seems like luck on who picks up the phone at weapons licencing if they want to help or say "we dont know how long"

Good work Tony, welcome to shooting, I hope you get as much enjoyment out of the various shooting and hunting disciplines as I have. :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Windston » 21 Jun 2018, 12:47 pm

Tony86 wrote:Hi all ,Update

Licence Approved 20/06 :thumbsup:
PTA Approved 21/06

I applied for my licence on the 22/03, rang them up on the 12 week mark and again today on the 13 week mark and got the same response. 'We dont know how long it will take'!
I asked if there was anything I could do to speed it up and they said that I could email them but it probably wont work. So I guess it depends on who you get on the other end!
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ghoatman » 21 Jun 2018, 2:34 pm

Do what I did and submit a complaint via the QPS website online form. Make sure your complaint is to the point and clear. Mine was sorted within 2 days of doing it.
Ghoatman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Windston » 21 Jun 2018, 8:31 pm

I wrote them a nicely worded email earlier today, basically saying that I need it now as I am on break. I doubt it's good enough though. Let's see. 13 weeks and counting!
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by trekin » 22 Jun 2018, 5:16 am

Daddybang wrote:Yep magnum it's that "as soon as practicable" part. Wlb simply uses the" large number of applications" defense to prove that it's not practicable to process any quicker. I've questioned wlb on a couple of occasions over this maybe if we can get your mob into parliament and make it a political issue things might be different or even get shooters union onto it. It would be great to see it gone altogether :thumbsup: :drinks:

Their "" large number of applications" defense to prove that it's not practicable to process any quicker." does not hold water when you consider the large number of Authorised Officers that are being underutilised. Section 153 of the Weapons Act defines an Authorise Officer as;
153 Authorised officers
(1) For this Act, the following officers are authorised officers—
(a) the commissioner, an executive officer or commissioned
officer
;
(b) a police officer appointed as an authorised officer by the
commissioner.
(2) However, a police officer may be appointed as an authorised
officer only if, in the commissioner’s opinion, the officer has
the necessary expertise or experience to be an authorised
officer.
As at 30 June 2017 there are 310 commissioned officers, https://www.police.qld.gov.au/corporate ... sonnel.pdf , stationed within the 5 Police regions and 15 Police districts in QLD.
Yes, seeing the arse end of the PTA system must remain the ultimate goal, but decentralising the powers of WLB, in the case of PTA's/licence renewals, would be an easier short term political argument to win as it still retains the objectives and the spirit of the Act.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 22 Jun 2018, 8:15 am

trekin wrote:

Their "" large number of applications" defense to prove that it's not practicable to process any quicker." does not hold water when you consider the large number of Authorised Officers that are being underutilised. Section 153 of the Weapons Act defines an Authorise Officer as;
153 Authorised officers
officer
;
commissioner.
officer.
As at 30 June 2017 there are 310 commissioned officers, https://www.police.qld.gov.au/corporate ... sonnel.pdf , stationed within the 5 Police regions and 15 Police districts in QLD.
Yes, seeing the arse end of the PTA system must remain the ultimate goal, but decentralising the powers of WLB, in the case of PTA's/licence renewals, would be an easier short term political argument to win as it still retains the objectives and the spirit of the Act.

It may not "hold water" to anyone with half an idea but it is the excuse they use. Unfortunately it won't change just because shooters complain about it it's going to take political pressure :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Jun 2018, 10:29 am

Daddybang
re: the above
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jun 2018, 10:51 am

Daddybang wrote:
trekin wrote:

153 Authorised officers
officer
;
commissioner.
officer.

It may not "hold water" to anyone with half an idea but it is the excuse they use. Unfortunately it won't change just because shooters complain about it it's going to take political pressure :thumbsup: :drinks:

Yep, exactly, as much as many hate politics and don't want to be a part of it, if we want change for the better, we have to get in and make it happen, unless it is done in significant organised numbers, lobbying has little to no effect, these restrictions and rules are made and changed in parliament, if we want to change them, we have to have our representatives in parliament.
Member-Deleted

Post by tofu » 22 Jun 2018, 11:51 am

has anybody ever made a complaint to the ombudsman?

https://www.ombudsman.qld.gov.au/make-a ... encyid=225
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Windston » 22 Jun 2018, 1:20 pm

They actually have a complaint area on that website just for processing licences and forms probably worth a shot.
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ghoatman » 22 Jun 2018, 1:28 pm

tofu wrote:has anybody ever made a complaint to the ombudsman?

https://www.ombudsman.qld.gov.au/make-a ... encyid=225

I looked into this also. First question it asks is "Have you complained to QPS about this?" IMO you should at least give them the opportunity to look at your complaint "in-house" before resorting to the Ombudsman.

I'm pretty sure the complaints department would be separate to WLB, which may be why s**t gets sorted pretty quickly once you complain. :lol:
Ghoatman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Windston » 22 Jun 2018, 10:16 pm

So. Update!

Applied A/B and 2 PTAs- 22/03
Emailed- 28/05
ID Check- 29/05 (from memory, it was basically the day after the email)
Email and phone call- 21/06
Approval and PTA- 22/06

I really think the email did some good! I emailed on the 13 week mark and the next day it was approved.
Windston
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by 2freeq » 23 Jun 2018, 8:52 am

Windston wrote:So. Update!

Applied A/B and 2 PTAs- 22/03
Emailed- 28/05
ID Check- 29/05 (from memory, it was basically the day after the email)
Email and phone call- 21/06
Approval and PTA- 22/06

I really think the email did some good! I emailed on the 13 week mark and the next day it was approved.

Congrats on getting it approved.
13 weeks is a long haul and i bet your glad its over.
I'm in NSW and only on day 25 of the license application and going insane with waiting.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JimmyJames » 26 Jun 2018, 11:37 pm

tofu wrote:
JimmyJames wrote:
tofu wrote:applied 10/04 for Cat A/B license and CAT B PTA and still have not heard anything. not even request for ID.

and the kicker??? i work for the police...

Let me know when you hear something, I applied on the 19/04/18 for A/B

Hey JimmyJames, have you heard anything yet? im still waiting for an ID check.

Have you got your ID check yet?
JimmyJames
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tofu » 27 Jun 2018, 4:56 pm

JimmyJames wrote:
tofu wrote:
JimmyJames wrote:
tofu wrote:applied 10/04 for Cat A/B license and CAT B PTA and still have not heard anything. not even request for ID.

Unfortunately not. Speaking to a couple police officers, they reckon i should just go to headquarters and ask because i am around the corner.

How's yours going?
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimmyJames » 27 Jun 2018, 5:13 pm

tofu wrote:
JimmyJames wrote:
tofu wrote:
JimmyJames wrote:

Unfortunately not. Speaking to a couple police officers, they reckon i should just go to headquarters and ask because i am around the corner.

How's yours going?

Have not heard anything yet. Let me know if anything happens.
JimmyJames
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jun 2018, 5:21 pm

Applied for PTA by email 8 June
Email that it is Approved 27 June.
Member-Deleted

Post by Midol » 30 Jun 2018, 8:23 pm

tofu wrote:Unfortunately not. Speaking to a couple police officers, they reckon i should just go to headquarters and ask because i am around the corner.

How's yours going?

Weapons licencing is not at headquarters.

They won't give you anything. I tried.
Midol
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tofu » 02 Jul 2018, 2:18 pm

Midol wrote:
tofu wrote:Unfortunately not. Speaking to a couple police officers, they reckon i should just go to headquarters and ask because i am around the corner.

How's yours going?

yep, they are currently at charlotte st but moving some time soon. either way, dont think they will do anything if you go in.
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ronny » 02 Jul 2018, 4:08 pm

Any idea on what the lead time is for PTA for current licensed shooter applying for a 2nd PTA?

PTA payment and confirmation of submission done 26/06

ta
Ronny
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tofu » 02 Jul 2018, 5:42 pm

Ronny wrote:Any idea on what the lead time is for PTA for current licensed shooter applying for a 2nd PTA?

PTA payment and confirmation of submission done 26/06

ta

i have a lady that works with me that got it in around 4 weeks recently. (also works for police)
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimmyJames » 03 Jul 2018, 2:59 pm

tofu wrote:
Midol wrote:

How's yours going?

yep, they are currently at charlotte st but moving some time soon. either way, dont think they will do anything if you go in.

Hey mate, I sent an email off might be worth a shot. I'll let you know the response.
JimmyJames
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by tofu » 03 Jul 2018, 5:53 pm

JimmyJames wrote:
tofu wrote:
Midol wrote:

How's yours going?

Hey mate, I sent an email off might be worth a shot. I'll let you know the response.

yeah, i've emailed them too (from my police email account) and i got the standard template "we'll get to you in 28 days" response. I havent heard back from them at all...been about a week.

i've also called them and all i was told is "it wont be much longer"
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 04 Jul 2018, 1:44 pm

I just sent an email to the Minister. Fifteen weeks and still waiting for a PTA is beyond a joke.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws