QLD weapons licencing waits

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: QLD weapons licencing waits

Post by onevia_01 » 15 Jan 2018, 3:38 pm

Daddybang wrote:
onevia_01 wrote:For anyone that's interested. I have emailed the Hon. Mark Ryan Minister for Police and Minister for Corrective Services. If we don't speak up, they will keep pushing us to the back. I will post the result and am hoping this doesn't cause me further delays but at this point its about receiving a service in a reasonable time, particularly when we have paid though excessive tax and a service fee to boot...

Will do mate :)

Dear Minister,

I am corresponding to register a formal complaint regarding the length of time it is taking for the issue of a weapons licence and PTA in QLD.
My application was submitted on 07/10 with all the required supporting documentation using the online weapons licensing system. The full fee paid was close to $250 and my case reference number was ### and ### .

I have patiently waited for 12 weeks as directed by Weapons licensing but upon enquiring on the application I was bluntly advised by phone staff that my case had not been reviewed and that I would have to wait for an unknown amount of time.
I feel that I am being discriminated against and it is unacceptable for any person to receive this level of service, particular when any recourse is limited. As a business manager if I treated my customers the same way I and many others are being treated I would be out of a job.

I completely understand that there is a process that must be followed however 14 weeks for an online application and issue of a license is unfathomable when I am already a holder of an A, B Firearms license.

I thank you for your time and respectfully ask for your assistance in this matter.

Kind Regards

Yeah let us know how they respond. Although I think most of us can already anticipate the response it's good to keep the ball rolling!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
onevia_01
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by onevia_01 » 15 Jan 2018, 5:00 pm

Hi guys,

I have received my cat h license approval just hours after sending my email to the minister for police. It could be a coincidence but I am thinking not. I am very happy with this outcome and a great job following through by the minister. I am super happy that I’ll be testing my 9mm reloads on my 92fs in the next few weeks :D

Just an update for you all :D
onevia_01
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Diizane » 15 Jan 2018, 5:13 pm

onevia_01 wrote:Hi guys,

I have received my cat h license approval just hours after sending my email to the minister for police. It could be a coincidence but I am thinking not. I am very happy with this outcome and a great job following through by the minister. I am super happy that I’ll be testing my 9mm reloads on my 92fs in the next few weeks :D

I hope you sped it up for the rest of us too! Damn, that's an insanely quick turn around time if the minister was involved.

12 weeks is still absurd, but if what you did actually worked i have a feeling the poor guy is going to be getting plenty more emails.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Slant225 » 16 Jan 2018, 9:31 am

Tillaan wrote:
Tillaan wrote:Anyone know the recent wait time on just a PTA (Cat A) in QLD atm?

Cheers

Well applied yesterday got email approval today! Will call dealer in few days to see if the have got the fax. Least looks to be improving...

Kinda says something about a system when a fax is used as a option for information transmission.
They probably have to copy it first on their Gestetner machine.
Slant225
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by onevia_01 » 16 Jan 2018, 11:10 am

Diizane wrote:

I hope you sped it up for the rest of us too! Damn, that's an insanely quick turn around time if the minister was involved.

12 weeks is still absurd, but if what you did actually worked i have a feeling the poor guy is going to be getting plenty more emails.

I hope so also and that's why I posted here to encourage others to speak up if they need to.
the Ministers office actually rang me at 5pm yesterday to advise that they have followed it up with QPS. I havent got my PTA approval email as yet but they are chasing that for me also. To be honest, I was very impressed with their response.They told me that the Minister for Police has demanded quick action and follow up phone calls for each email inquiry so they certainly appear to be listening. Anyway.. good luck everyone and I will update as it progresses further.
onevia_01
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 16 Jan 2018, 1:58 pm

TheDude wrote:
TheDude wrote:I applied 14/12, just got the email on 6/1. Just waiting for a call from the LGS that they have received the fax

Still waiting for it to be approved and faxed. Will give them a buzz tomorrow.

Turns out wlb had faxed it on the 9/1. The gunshop just didn’t notice that on the two occasions since that I’d called them.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 16 Jan 2018, 2:57 pm

TheDude wrote:
TheDude wrote:
TheDude wrote:I applied 14/12, just got the email on 6/1. Just waiting for a call from the LGS that they have received the fax

Still waiting for it to be approved and faxed. Will give them a buzz tomorrow.

Turns out wlb had faxed it on the 9/1. The gunshop just didn’t notice that on the two occasions since that I’d called them.

This is so wrong!! If they can't see a piece of paper on the fax machine what else do they miss!!! :thumbsdown: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 16 Jan 2018, 2:58 pm

Good work!! :drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by swilso » 25 Jan 2018, 1:19 pm

Cat H approved: 11/1
Had a phone call from a sergeant in the WLB and advised the printing machine that runs off the licenses has a backlog of jobs and was told to sit tight another two weeks. On the upside the PTA arrived today.
swilso
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Diizane » 25 Jan 2018, 5:10 pm

swilso wrote:Cat H approved: 11/1
Had a phone call from a sergeant in the WLB and advised the printing machine that runs off the licenses has a backlog of jobs and was told to sit tight another two weeks. On the upside the PTA arrived today.

How long were you waiting mate? Did you have A/B First?
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by swilso » 25 Jan 2018, 5:43 pm

Diizane wrote:

You probably don’t want to know. I was one of the lucky ones! I’ve had my A/B for over 6 years, get checks performed regularly for work and had over 30participated shoots. That’s all I can guess why it may have helped.

Applied for license and PTA: 8/1/18
Approved: 11/1/18
PTA arrived today. Waiting on license.
swilso
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Diizane » 25 Jan 2018, 5:45 pm

swilso wrote:
Diizane wrote:

You probably don’t want to know. I was one of the lucky ones! I’ve had my A/B for over 6 years, get checks performed regularly for work and had over 30participated shoots. That’s all I can guess why it may have helped.

That's nice and quick. I've had mine in for 3 weeks so far, with A/B and police checks due to security jobs, so hoping i get the all clear in the next week or so.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by swilso » 25 Jan 2018, 5:55 pm

Diizane wrote:
swilso wrote:
Diizane wrote:

That's nice and quick. I've had mine in for 3 weeks so far, with A/B and police checks due to security jobs, so hoping i get the all clear in the next week or so.

Hope so mate. I also wrote a letter to the premier and opposition leader however I never sent that until after it was approved. I’ve had both offices get in contact with me and the WLB in the last week. Mainly asking for additional support for the WLB due to being understaff.
swilso
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Diizane » 29 Jan 2018, 11:18 am

I gave WLB a call today and they claim to have 3 month wait times for applications regardless of if you currently are licensed or not.

1 month down, 2 to go.

So Cat H is 6 month probation + 3 month application wait, don't get your hopes up for a quick cat H application.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by onevia_01 » 29 Jan 2018, 1:47 pm

Diizane wrote:I gave WLB a call today and they claim to have 3 month wait times for applications regardless of if you currently are licensed or not.

1 month down, 2 to go.

So Cat H is 6 month probation + 3 month application wait, don't get your hopes up for a quick cat H application.

Well I'm on 16 weeks about to hit 17 weeks and still no license despite a cat H approval email on 15/11
No PTA approval as yet either and this was done at the same time as the license.

Shouldn't be long now...
onevia_01
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 01 Feb 2018, 11:52 am

I know a fair few people now who have had their Cat H approved in about a week. With the cards in their letterbox after 2 weeks - (before printing dramas).

In all of the cases the person already holds and A and B license and has participated in double figure competitions.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Adz » 20 Feb 2018, 3:39 pm

Hey all put my application in June last year just got my I d check today and done it! 8mths !! Just wondering does the I’d check mean you are getting your licence or is it still have to be decided
Adz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 20 Feb 2018, 6:25 pm

Adz wrote:Hey all put my application in June last year just got my I d check today and done it! 8mths !! Just wondering does the I’d check mean you are getting your licence or is it still have to be decided

Eight month wait!!!! :crazy:
I don't know anyone that has been asked to do an id check that hasn't been given their license. :drinks:
(In QLD)
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Adz » 20 Feb 2018, 7:38 pm

yeah 8mths been painful haha just thought i would ask the question can get a safe tomorrow if i need to but dont want to waste the money if they still say no
Adz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 20 Feb 2018, 8:05 pm

Ya should be fine adz :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 20 Feb 2018, 8:31 pm

I did my ID check about 4 days after submitting application. Then waited 6 months for approval after that.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 20 Feb 2018, 10:29 pm

Put in for my cat h on the 17th have to wait and see may be awhile if its the same as my ab licence. (9 months )

Will be giving them a call tommorow put in a pta for a 222 on the 8th still havent recieved anything or heard anything for that matter. Such a Pain
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Adz » 24 Feb 2018, 11:08 am

Daddybang wrote:Ya should be fine adz :drinks:

Indeed I will be right haha got email for approval yesterday 8mths 16 days for a/b not bad haha :crazy: and pta for 308 :D

Time to ask the wife how much I can spend :sarcasm: hahaha

Cheers boys :drinks:
Adz
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 25 Feb 2018, 5:21 pm

Adz wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Ya should be fine adz :drinks:

Indeed I will be right haha got email for approval yesterday 8mths 16 days for a/b not bad haha :crazy: and pta for 308 :D

Time to ask the wife how much I can spend :sarcasm: hahaha

Cheers boys :drinks:

That's great to hear!! Congrats :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Ronny » 02 Mar 2018, 4:29 pm

Hi All

New shooter (well used to shoot 20yrs ago) and come back to reapply for myself and my son (15 this year). Currently on 3 months as of today for both of us. Verification check done 29 Jan for me and Wed night for my son (even though both applications submitted at same time).

The wait continues!!
Ronny
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Townsville shooter » 15 Mar 2018, 5:35 pm

Update on my situation.

Lodged on 21st Dec 17
Id check on 6th Feb
Called them up on 13th March and spoke to them very nicely and was approved that day, including PTA.
Just waiting on card to arrive.

Finally!
Townsville shooter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 15 Mar 2018, 6:12 pm

Townsville shooter wrote:Update on my situation.

Lodged on 21st Dec 17
Id check on 6th Feb
Called them up on 13th March and spoke to them very nicely and was approved that day, including PTA.
Just waiting on card to arrive.

Finally!

The next week or so are gonna loooonnnnggggg!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Ronny » 15 Mar 2018, 6:22 pm

Applied 9th Dec for myself and son.

Cards arrived today! Just on 13weeks. PTAwill be approved after 23/3.

At least I have the card now!
Ronny
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 15 Mar 2018, 6:33 pm

Congrats ronny you and son will be pullin triggers before ya know it! :D :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Diizane » 15 Mar 2018, 6:44 pm

Ronny wrote:Applied 9th Dec for myself and son.

Cards arrived today! Just on 13weeks. PTAwill be approved after 23/3.

At least I have the card now!

If your cards arrived today, when was your approval date?
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws