QLD weapons licencing waits

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: QLD weapons licencing waits

Post by scotty87 » 16 Jul 2016, 3:02 pm

Anyone know the current wait on PTAs lodged online? It's not my first firearm. My last one a couple year ago only took 10 days IIRC
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 17 Jul 2016, 11:11 am

I lodged mine last Saturday, rang WLB QLD and asked for them to fax it to the LGS, was there Thursday ready to go! So less than 4 business days. They should all be faxed/emailed directly to the LGS. It's 2016, forget Auspost, they are dinosaurs....
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 17 Jul 2016, 1:05 pm

Sam45 wrote:I lodged mine last Saturday, rang WLB QLD and asked for them to fax it to the LGS, was there Thursday ready to go! So less than 4 business days. They should all be faxed/emailed directly to the LGS. It's 2016, forget Auspost, they are dinosaurs....

Cheers! I don't mind the wait as I still have to pay off the lay-by, I actually enjoy the little bit of excitement checking the mail and finding the PTA in there lol.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 18 Jul 2016, 1:05 pm

I am glad you like the anticipation, because after 15 staff were "let go" last week things might slow down a bit.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 18 Jul 2016, 4:24 pm

David Brown wrote:I am glad you like the anticipation, because after 15 staff were "let go" last week things might slow down a bit.

got my approval email today, applied the morning of the 12th so just on 5 business days, hopefully the staff cuts are because they have become more efficient.

I bet it takes Australia post until friday for it to appear in my mailbox.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by David Brown » 19 Jul 2016, 8:10 am

Credit where credit is due, QPS-WLB have been rather slick, and I do congratulate them for that. They do remind us all that if you fill in applications properly and provide all the detail required things go smoothly.

Lets hope the staff losses do not affect service standards.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ducky » 19 Jul 2016, 10:14 am

Hey everyone hope all is having a great week so far. So last year i lodged my application ect, and they sent me a email saying i got refunded for not supplying relevant documentation for my application. But i did supply all documents it just was lost on their end.

So now today i applied again and i am 8 weeks in and wondering would they have my ID check on file from last time i applied and i will not have to do one this time? as i applied for A/B and PTA same days.
Ducky
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 22 Jul 2016, 5:10 pm

PTA arrived in the mail today as predicted. 9days from application.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by scott017 » 23 Jul 2016, 8:15 pm

i have to agree with everyone that reports a positive experience with QLD weapons licensing.
My whole family has had no problem with licences or PTA's. in fact the PTA for my 300WM came through to home in 9 days.
we have nearly filled the safe and I think i'm gonna need another one!
scott017
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by luke_g » 03 Aug 2016, 12:44 pm

Submitted my online application on 22/06/16 and received my licence and PTA on 29/7/16..... Not a bad time frame :)
luke_g
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Calister » 17 Aug 2016, 1:46 pm

I've been waiting on my applications for about a week since the 28 day waiting period, which isn't special in any way, however what has made me concerned is the fact that I received a phone call from WLB 2 weeks into the 28 day wait asking if the place I was living at was the place I was housing the rifle and that they wanted to know who was living at the place as they were processing my license. I found this very unusual as I've never heard or read of something like this happening over the past 3 weeks, nor have I seen anyone having their application reviewed within the waiting period.

Is it possible to have a license application revoked based on the entities who live at the address? I think one of the people who lives at my address has a restraining order/DV order against them.

Ill post more details based on what the outcome is for anyone else going through the application process.
Howa 1500 223 24" / CZ 452 Ultralux 22lr / ATA 686B / SHS STP12 / M38 Swedish Mauser / FN Mauser 30-06 / Swiss K31 /Swiss 1911 / Swiss 1889 / Steyr M95 x2 / Martini Cadet 310 / P14 Enfield
Soon: CZ Shadow 2 / Webley & Scott 912k
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Grylls » 18 Aug 2016, 11:30 pm

Ok, so I applied for my licence on the 27th of July. I couldn't work out what gun I wanted so my I didn't put my PTA in until the 4th of August.

I got an email today saying that my Licence would be approved on the 25th of August which I was happy about but then I had another email an hour later with my PTA. It's saying I won't get that until the 2nd of October? That seems little excessive or have I missed something with the cooling off period?
Grylls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 19 Aug 2016, 4:46 am

Qld Pta Cat b, submitted Sunday 14/8/16

No word yet
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 19 Aug 2016, 7:48 pm

Grylls wrote:Ok, so I applied for my licence on the 27th of July. I couldn't work out what gun I wanted so my I didn't put my PTA in until the 4th of August.

I got an email today saying that my Licence would be approved on the 25th of August which I was happy about but then I had another email an hour later with my PTA. It's saying I won't get that until the 2nd of October? That seems little excessive or have I missed something with the cooling off period?

1st PTA submission carries a 28 day wait. After that they are issued in general timeframe. But yeah just looking at calendar that is well over 28 days. Maybe hit em up
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigtone » 20 Aug 2016, 9:26 am

scott017 wrote:i have to agree with everyone that reports a positive experience with QLD weapons licensing.
My whole family has had no problem with licences or PTA's. in fact the PTA for my 300WM came through to home in 9 days.
we have nearly filled the safe and I think i'm gonna need another one!

Ask for a 338,375,378,408,416 in cat B and see how much u like QWL after that. The corrupt *+>£•%s will make up their own laws which don't exist in legislation and if you jump all of GCAs man on the inside's hoops somehow and get a PTA issued the your licence will be reissued with a non-existent "999" code which will restrict the use of the firearm so much you won't be able to use it in QLD. Want proof, apply for a 416 Barrett .
Or if you want further proof of their corruption by the GCA implant, ask if it's legal to shoot an Indian minah (pest bird) with an air rifle on your 1acre block where you live. They will tell you that you need a minimum of 40acres to discharge a weapon . This is another lie which is not from legislation. If you call them on it you will be transferred to one of GCA's implants who will aggressively try to intimidate you into believing their lie.
The legislation makes no mention of property size, only that the projectile must not leave the property on which you have permission to shoot.
Bottom line...........QWL have been heavily corrupted by GCA and as long as officer CB is running the place, QWL will not have any integrity!
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 25 Aug 2016, 11:57 am

scott017 wrote:i have to agree with everyone that reports a positive experience with QLD weapons licensing.

The for last maybe 18 months or so that's right.

Before that though they had a absolutely useless/shocking record for a long time.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 25 Aug 2016, 1:04 pm

Bourt wrote:

The for last maybe 18 months or so that's right.

Before that though they had a absolutely useless/shocking record for a long time.

6 months for an A+B and 4 months for a work one for me so that 18 months of good service is crap in my case. And would have been longer if I didnt ring each time and get my file pulled to be checked by someone else on both.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 25 Aug 2016, 7:42 pm

David Brown wrote:I am glad you like the anticipation, because after 15 staff were "let go" last week things might slow down a bit.

Put in another PTA on Sunday night, Received the approval email today. 4 business days again :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Calister » 26 Aug 2016, 9:12 am

Well I got approved for my license on the 24th, and apparently the PTA was placed on hold because I had not been issued my license yet. Upon calling them today they allocated the PTA for processing. so I'm expected based on what you guys have said that Ill get an approval on the 31st, and probably get it in the mail some time after next week.
Howa 1500 223 24" / CZ 452 Ultralux 22lr / ATA 686B / SHS STP12 / M38 Swedish Mauser / FN Mauser 30-06 / Swiss K31 /Swiss 1911 / Swiss 1889 / Steyr M95 x2 / Martini Cadet 310 / P14 Enfield
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cam D » 25 Sep 2016, 12:14 pm

I lodged my Cat A license application on the 19th July... it's now nearly 10 weeks later and no word from QWL yet.

I also lodged a Cat A PTA on the 21st September, nothing for it yet either.
Cam D
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Calister » 26 Sep 2016, 10:43 am

@cam D, I'd give WLB a call, just talk to them nicely and they should be happy to help, however it is a bit odd, I applied for my cat a/b on July 13th and about 1 and a half weeks later I was sent an email requesting that I see a police station for ID.

I then received an email around Aug 23rd stating that my license was on the way but there was no mention of my pta, so I ended up calling them around aug 26th to check on my pta to find out that my pta had been placed on hold because the license app was still going, so they reassigned it on the same day and a few hours later I got an email saying that it had been approved.
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cam D » 26 Sep 2016, 6:09 pm

Hey Calister. Thank you very much for the information and suggestion.
I did shoot WL an email last week to ask if the application could be reviewed however it was declined:

"The Authorised Officer has considered your fast track request and in this case it has not been approved.

Applications are being processed in order of receipt and will be determined as soon as practicable after any mandatory waiting periods as required by the Weapons Act 1990 and Weapons Regulation 1996. The time taken to collate, record, assess and finalise applications is dependent on a number of factors. These factors can include the number of applications received each day, the complexity of the applications, the completeness of the application and the accuracy of information within the supporting documents.

A Weapons Licensing representative will contact you if any further information is required in relation to your application."

I'm really not sure why Qld considers a 3 month processing time for an application as acceptable, for any type of application. As an example, imagine lodging a mortgage application and waiting 3+ months for an answer.
Something needs to change with the system as it's really too slow.
Cam D
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Calister » 27 Sep 2016, 9:12 am

I've heard of a few cases where people are getting 3 month long applications, though I have no idea of the circumstances, best bet is probably to give them a call and ask them what has happened. Usually the average processing time is about 6-8 weeks from what I've read, my own taking 7-8 including the pta.

Have they asked you to go to your local police station for id yet? If not that might be holding up the process.
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 27 Sep 2016, 11:27 am

My H was in a few days my a+b took 6 months. They were just screwing around.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 17 Oct 2016, 12:10 pm

G'day guys and girls. First post on the forum.

I just waited approximately 6 weeks from application date (online) to approval email (cat A-B), 1 day later I received 5 emails for approval of 5 pta's, now I just have to wait for it all to arrive via Aussie post then it's time to got shopping.
Have already purchased .22 and .243 Lithgow's, they are waiting to be picked up once I have licence and pta's in hand. Have pta's for .223, lever 12g and an air rifle, just need to decide which to buy once I have the other two fully sorted, will put in for a .308 soon also and that will probably be it as far as calibre selection goes, will double/triple up on rifles in each/some calibres for different purposes, back ups etc..in the future.

Was a shooter in the past (yes leagal) but someone decided to change the laws so most of my guns became illegal so I had to hand them in for them to be crushed and disposed of, 10/22, mini 14 .223, mossberg pump, Winchester mariner pump, franchi spas 12 semi auto/pump....broke my heart to have to get rid of them so I pretty much gave up, only 2 guns I had left was M96 6.5x55 (great rifle) and a .308 can't recall brand/model, got rid of them and let my licence expire..

Anyway after waiting far to long I'm finally getting back into it, I've been a bow hunter for a while so have access to hunting properties through that, can't wait to get out to these places and and do some sighting in then off into the field I go to thin out the feral numbers with the new rifles...

Looking forward to chatting to you all through the forums.

Cheers,
Al
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lokvo » 27 Oct 2016, 11:07 am

Just an update on waiting times. Maybe QWL is getting even better with their times? I lodged my cat A & B application on the 4th of October and received an email yesterday 26th of Sept to go to my local police station for the final step which is to provide proof of identification. So only around 3 weeks! totally stoked.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 27 Oct 2016, 12:57 pm

Good stuff, yep should only be another 2-3 weeks wait now. If you haven't already, get your pta's in so you aren't waiting too long for them. I put 5 in off the bat, about a week after that a gentleman told me you could only apply for 1 on your first go and it must be approved before you can apply for another, well he was wrong as mine were all approved on the same day which was 1 day after my licence was approved and they arrived in the mail 1 business day before my licence arrived.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Oct 2016, 1:00 pm

Lokvo wrote:Just an update on waiting times. Maybe QWL is getting even better with their times? I lodged my cat A & B application on the 4th of October and received an email yesterday 26th of Sept to go to my local police station for the final step which is to provide proof of identification. So only around 3 weeks! totally stoked.

Actually, October 4 to September 26 is closer to fifty-one weeks ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 28 Oct 2016, 10:43 am

bladeracer wrote:
Lokvo wrote:Just an update on waiting times. Maybe QWL is getting even better with their times? I lodged my cat A & B application on the 4th of October and received an email yesterday 26th of Sept to go to my local police station for the final step which is to provide proof of identification. So only around 3 weeks! totally stoked.

Actually, October 4 to September 26 is closer to fifty-one weeks ;-)

Haha! you're a closet grammar nazi aren't you? ;) thanks for that, I meant the 26th of October. I gotta stop living in the past :lol:

Another update though, I went to the local police station yesterday and did the proof of identity and received an email this morning from QWL that everything is approved! and to just wait for the license card! :drinks:
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Calister » 28 Oct 2016, 12:35 pm

Congrats on the new license, Hope it arrives very soon :)
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws