QLD weapons licencing waits

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: QLD weapons licencing waits

Post by Calister » 26 Aug 2016, 9:12 am

Well I got approved for my license on the 24th, and apparently the PTA was placed on hold because I had not been issued my license yet. Upon calling them today they allocated the PTA for processing. so I'm expected based on what you guys have said that Ill get an approval on the 31st, and probably get it in the mail some time after next week.
Howa 1500 223 24" / CZ 452 Ultralux 22lr / ATA 686B / SHS STP12 / M38 Swedish Mauser / FN Mauser 30-06 / Swiss K31 /Swiss 1911 / Swiss 1889 / Steyr M95 x2 / Martini Cadet 310 / P14 Enfield
Soon: CZ Shadow 2 / Webley & Scott 912k
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cam D » 25 Sep 2016, 12:14 pm

I lodged my Cat A license application on the 19th July... it's now nearly 10 weeks later and no word from QWL yet.

I also lodged a Cat A PTA on the 21st September, nothing for it yet either.
Cam D
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Calister » 26 Sep 2016, 10:43 am

@cam D, I'd give WLB a call, just talk to them nicely and they should be happy to help, however it is a bit odd, I applied for my cat a/b on July 13th and about 1 and a half weeks later I was sent an email requesting that I see a police station for ID.

I then received an email around Aug 23rd stating that my license was on the way but there was no mention of my pta, so I ended up calling them around aug 26th to check on my pta to find out that my pta had been placed on hold because the license app was still going, so they reassigned it on the same day and a few hours later I got an email saying that it had been approved.
Howa 1500 223 24" / CZ 452 Ultralux 22lr / ATA 686B / SHS STP12 / M38 Swedish Mauser / FN Mauser 30-06 / Swiss K31 /Swiss 1911 / Swiss 1889 / Steyr M95 x2 / Martini Cadet 310 / P14 Enfield
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cam D » 26 Sep 2016, 6:09 pm

Hey Calister. Thank you very much for the information and suggestion.
I did shoot WL an email last week to ask if the application could be reviewed however it was declined:

"The Authorised Officer has considered your fast track request and in this case it has not been approved.

Applications are being processed in order of receipt and will be determined as soon as practicable after any mandatory waiting periods as required by the Weapons Act 1990 and Weapons Regulation 1996. The time taken to collate, record, assess and finalise applications is dependent on a number of factors. These factors can include the number of applications received each day, the complexity of the applications, the completeness of the application and the accuracy of information within the supporting documents.

A Weapons Licensing representative will contact you if any further information is required in relation to your application."

I'm really not sure why Qld considers a 3 month processing time for an application as acceptable, for any type of application. As an example, imagine lodging a mortgage application and waiting 3+ months for an answer.
Something needs to change with the system as it's really too slow.
Cam D
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Calister » 27 Sep 2016, 9:12 am

I've heard of a few cases where people are getting 3 month long applications, though I have no idea of the circumstances, best bet is probably to give them a call and ask them what has happened. Usually the average processing time is about 6-8 weeks from what I've read, my own taking 7-8 including the pta.

Have they asked you to go to your local police station for id yet? If not that might be holding up the process.
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 27 Sep 2016, 11:27 am

My H was in a few days my a+b took 6 months. They were just screwing around.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 17 Oct 2016, 12:10 pm

G'day guys and girls. First post on the forum.

I just waited approximately 6 weeks from application date (online) to approval email (cat A-B), 1 day later I received 5 emails for approval of 5 pta's, now I just have to wait for it all to arrive via Aussie post then it's time to got shopping.
Have already purchased .22 and .243 Lithgow's, they are waiting to be picked up once I have licence and pta's in hand. Have pta's for .223, lever 12g and an air rifle, just need to decide which to buy once I have the other two fully sorted, will put in for a .308 soon also and that will probably be it as far as calibre selection goes, will double/triple up on rifles in each/some calibres for different purposes, back ups etc..in the future.

Was a shooter in the past (yes leagal) but someone decided to change the laws so most of my guns became illegal so I had to hand them in for them to be crushed and disposed of, 10/22, mini 14 .223, mossberg pump, Winchester mariner pump, franchi spas 12 semi auto/pump....broke my heart to have to get rid of them so I pretty much gave up, only 2 guns I had left was M96 6.5x55 (great rifle) and a .308 can't recall brand/model, got rid of them and let my licence expire..

Anyway after waiting far to long I'm finally getting back into it, I've been a bow hunter for a while so have access to hunting properties through that, can't wait to get out to these places and and do some sighting in then off into the field I go to thin out the feral numbers with the new rifles...

Looking forward to chatting to you all through the forums.

Cheers,
Al
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lokvo » 27 Oct 2016, 11:07 am

Just an update on waiting times. Maybe QWL is getting even better with their times? I lodged my cat A & B application on the 4th of October and received an email yesterday 26th of Sept to go to my local police station for the final step which is to provide proof of identification. So only around 3 weeks! totally stoked.
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 27 Oct 2016, 12:57 pm

Good stuff, yep should only be another 2-3 weeks wait now. If you haven't already, get your pta's in so you aren't waiting too long for them. I put 5 in off the bat, about a week after that a gentleman told me you could only apply for 1 on your first go and it must be approved before you can apply for another, well he was wrong as mine were all approved on the same day which was 1 day after my licence was approved and they arrived in the mail 1 business day before my licence arrived.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Oct 2016, 1:00 pm

Lokvo wrote:Just an update on waiting times. Maybe QWL is getting even better with their times? I lodged my cat A & B application on the 4th of October and received an email yesterday 26th of Sept to go to my local police station for the final step which is to provide proof of identification. So only around 3 weeks! totally stoked.

Actually, October 4 to September 26 is closer to fifty-one weeks ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lokvo » 28 Oct 2016, 10:43 am

bladeracer wrote:
Lokvo wrote:Just an update on waiting times. Maybe QWL is getting even better with their times? I lodged my cat A & B application on the 4th of October and received an email yesterday 26th of Sept to go to my local police station for the final step which is to provide proof of identification. So only around 3 weeks! totally stoked.

Actually, October 4 to September 26 is closer to fifty-one weeks ;-)

Haha! you're a closet grammar nazi aren't you? ;) thanks for that, I meant the 26th of October. I gotta stop living in the past :lol:

Another update though, I went to the local police station yesterday and did the proof of identity and received an email this morning from QWL that everything is approved! and to just wait for the license card! :drinks:
CZ 455 Varmint .22LR w/ Nikon P-Rimfire 2-7x32 || Henry Lever H001TMV .22LR || Howa 1500 .223REM MDT HS3 Chassis w/ Leupold VX2 6-18x40
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Calister » 28 Oct 2016, 12:35 pm

Congrats on the new license, Hope it arrives very soon :)
Calister
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Substance » 03 Feb 2017, 4:21 pm

I was approved on the 27th of January. I called up asking about how long it takes to recieve my licence card since the email says 10 to 14 days. I was told it was sent for printing on Monday the 30th of jan. So do they actually make me wait the 10 days before they post it. Same goes for my ptas. Had them both approved on the 1st of feb. When should i expect them to arrive?
Substance
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 03 Feb 2017, 5:21 pm

I would expect you to get it all sometime next week, if it's anything like mine your PTA's will arrive on Friday before your licence so you'll have to wait out the weekend till your licence arrives on Monday.....
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Substance » 03 Feb 2017, 6:28 pm

Pythonkeeper wrote:I would expect you to get it all sometime next week, if it's anything like mine your PTA's will arrive on Friday before your licence so you'll have to wait out the weekend till your licence arrives on Monday.....

Would be great if i got it all next week. Does anyone know if dealers can transfer rifles between each other? Say i have a PTA for shop B but ive found a rifle in the caliber i want at shop A.. can i go into shop A buy the rifle have them send it to shop B and i pay a fee or something?
Substance
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2017, 9:10 pm

Substance wrote:Would be great if i got it all next week. Does anyone know if dealers can transfer rifles between each other? Say i have a PTA for shop B but ive found a rifle in the caliber i want at shop A.. can i go into shop A buy the rifle have them send it to shop B and i pay a fee or something?

Same as buying interstate.
You'd be buying the rifle from the dealer that owns it, but picking it up from the dealer with the PtA.

Firearms are listed as belonging to the dealer, so to send one to another dealer would require them to transfer ownership.

If you're buying new just ask your dealer to order the one you want.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Substance » 03 Feb 2017, 9:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Substance wrote:Would be great if i got it all next week. Does anyone know if dealers can transfer rifles between each other? Say i have a PTA for shop B but ive found a rifle in the caliber i want at shop A.. can i go into shop A buy the rifle have them send it to shop B and i pay a fee or something?

Same as buying interstate.
You'd be buying the rifle from the dealer that owns it, but picking it up from the dealer with the PtA.

Firearms are listed as belonging to the dealer, so to send one to another dealer would require them to transfer ownership.

If you're buying new just ask your dealer to order the one you want.

I will ask them about ordering the one i want.

One more question I have, in reguards to the PTAs, I have 2 approved a .22lr and .223 I want to get a 12g lever and a .308 as well in a few months, since they require a "reason" to buy a Cat B and i used "Longer range target shooting" for my .223, what should i use for my .308 "Even longer range then the .223 target shooting?" Im new to all this. Personally all i want to list is "Target shooting and If i go hunting this is the rifle id take"
Substance
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 03 Feb 2017, 9:50 pm

If it's for hunting just put down something like " For the destruction of larger feral pest and game species", or if it's for target shooting just put down the same reason as you did for your 223, shouldn't really matter whether it's one or the other or both.
You shouldn't need a reason for the lever shottie because they are still cat A as far as I'm aware, could be wrong though.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Substance » 03 Feb 2017, 9:54 pm

Pythonkeeper wrote:If it's for hunting just put down something like " For the destruction of larger feral pest and game species", or if it's for target shooting just put down the same reason as you did for your 223, shouldn't really matter whether it's one or the other or both.
You shouldn't need a reason for the lever shottie because they are still cat A as far as I'm aware, could be wrong though.

Yeah the shotty will still be Cat A. The only Cat B's i plan on getting is a 223 and a 308 for now. That may change in the future.
Substance
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 03 Feb 2017, 9:57 pm

Substance wrote:One more question I have, in reguards to the PTAs, I have 2 approved a .22lr and .223 I want to get a 12g lever and a .308 as well in a few months, since they require a "reason" to buy a Cat B and i used "Longer range target shooting" for my .223, what should i use for my .308 "Even longer range then the .223 target shooting?" Im new to all this. Personally all i want to list is "Target shooting and If i go hunting this is the rifle id take"

"Hunting" or "Competition" should be all they need to know.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AnotherMisfire » 05 Feb 2017, 1:39 pm

Substance wrote:One more question I have, in reguards to the PTAs, I have 2 approved a .22lr and .223 I want to get a 12g lever and a .308 as well in a few months, since they require a "reason" to buy a Cat B and i used "Longer range target shooting" for my .223, what should i use for my .308 "Even longer range then the .223 target shooting?" Im new to all this. Personally all i want to list is "Target shooting and If i go hunting this is the rifle id take"

They won't ask at all until you have 3 or 4 Cat B firearms usually. There's some policy or something the lady said for low numbers of CatB.

Range or Hunting will also cover you for the first in most CatB caliber. They start asking more specifically when it's several in the same caliber, but I've had no issue with explaining night-rig for pigging with one, day rigger for pigging, bench rest and field comp.

What you want to put down sounds like you'll sail through.

-Andy
AnotherMisfire
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Barrettmr » 07 May 2017, 9:41 pm

Any recent licence applications? My wife has put her's in and there has been no word for 12 weeks now. Did the identity check 2 days after applying. Mine took just 7weeks so i'm a little puzzled at the delay.
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by burek » 07 May 2017, 11:27 pm

Well they say 12 weeks max so it's probably time to contact them. Mine is very recent. Only had the licence in my hands for about a week.

Week 10 until email that licence was approved, allow 14 days for delivery. Then, naturally the maximum period passed, so 3rd week. At least the PTA arrived at same time since I applied while waiting. Also was called in for ID check on the same week I applied. Sure they may be busy, but I can't help feeling that I was made to wait for arbitrary reasons.
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 08 May 2017, 2:09 am

Barrettmr wrote:Any recent licence applications? My wife has put her's in and there has been no word for 12 weeks now. Did the identity check 2 days after applying. Mine took just 7weeks so i'm a little puzzled at the delay.

Mine took 27 weeks as they just liked to screw around with no answers as to why when I rang them 3 times.
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lokvo » 10 May 2017, 1:31 pm

Just put in my QLD cat H license application roughly two weeks ago. I got a call the other day from QWL asking me to resubmit a pistol club declaration letter as the original one I attached was one week shy of the 6 month requirement. Got a new one and emailed to QWL, hopefully they don't shove my application back to the bottom of the pile because of my over eagerness :(
Lokvo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Matt25 » 10 May 2017, 7:56 pm

I applied nine weeks ago (AB Licence), and still no word.
I received my email to do my identity check two days after my application and completed it that same week.

Placed an order for a gun with the dealer (And submitted a PTA online) a while back, and the dealer has encouraged me to chase it up as they have a two month holding period. Hoping to hear back regarding my licence within the next week.

Update:

Received email confirmation in the 11th week.

Licence arrived in 13th week.
Last edited by Matt25 on 13 Jun 2017, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt25
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 22 May 2017, 8:55 pm

I put my Cat H license application in last Monday (14 May). I got the email approval on the Thursday morning.
I'm assuming the approval was quick as I have a cat A and B and several firearms on that license.

I submitted a PTA for a p226 9mm at the same time but I haven't got a response on that. Given they approved the license so quickly is it worth giving them a call about the PTA or should I be more patient :-/
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 23 May 2017, 3:47 pm

Follow up to my last post PTA approved today after 7 working days.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 24 May 2017, 11:05 am

Matt25 wrote:I applied nine weeks ago (AB Licence), and still no word.
I received my email to do my identity check two days after my application and completed it that same week.

Placed an order for a gun with the dealer (And submitted a PTA online) a while back, and the dealer has encouraged me to chase it up as they have a two month holding period. Hoping to hear back regarding my licence within the next week.

Usually, if there is such a thing, your licence should be received 2-3 weeks after your visit to the police station for your ID check.

I'd suggest a polite phone call to WLB confirming your ID check and how your application is progressing. With mine, the police forgot to send in confirmation and the paperwork was still sitting in the file.
Cheers,.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Barrettmr » 24 May 2017, 7:27 pm

The wife's license was approved yesterday. So about 12 weeks to approval and still waiting for plastic.
Cz 452 22 Redfield 2-7 x 32
Howa 1500 blue varmint 223 thumbhole vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue sporter 22/250 vx1 3-9x40
Howa 1500 blue ultralite 308 vx1 3-9x40
Howa Mini Action 7.62 x 39 Hawke 2-7
Barrettmr
Private
Private

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws