QLD weapons licencing waits

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Re: QLD weapons licencing waits

Post by Diizane » 19 Mar 2018, 9:30 pm

I'm still patiently waiting on my Cat H approval, reading some of the recent license approvals it's looking like i should be expecting it in the next week if WLQ keep up their pace.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by swilso » 23 Mar 2018, 6:33 pm

Update:
Applied for PTA: 6/3/18
Approved: 22/3/18
Waiting for the fax to the dealer.
swilso
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by daninjt » 27 Mar 2018, 12:32 pm

Hi, im a new member, this is my first post.
i submitted my new licence application on the 10/2/2018. i got the confirmation email and I've been charged but i haven't got any information regarding an id check or anything like that. Is that something i need to get done myself? or should i be waiting to hear back from them about this? Also submitted my PTA the day after (11/2/2018) roughly how long am i looking at before i am able to pick up my gun? ive been reading roughly 12-15 weeks, is that still how long its been taking for everyone else?

thanks.
daninjt
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 27 Mar 2018, 6:51 pm

daninjt wrote:Hi, im a new member, this is my first post.
i submitted my new licence application on the 10/2/2018. i got the confirmation email and I've been charged but i haven't got any information regarding an id check or anything like that. Is that something i need to get done myself? or should i be waiting to hear back from them about this? Also submitted my PTA the day after (11/2/2018) roughly how long am i looking at before i am able to pick up my gun? ive been reading roughly 12-15 weeks, is that still how long its been taking for everyone else?

thanks.

First :welcome: :drinks:
Around twelve weeks seems to be average at the moment. Wlb will send ya an email when they want ya to go and provide id . For some it's only a day after they get the application for others it takes weeks or even months.
Welcome to the waiting game!! :lol: :drinks:
Ya first pta will have a 28 day wait plus however long it takes for them to process ya license application. Don't worry until ya hit twelve weeks. Wlb will just tell ya to ring after twelve weeks have passed!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by swilso » 28 Mar 2018, 2:31 pm

Update:
Applied for PTA: 6/3/18
Approved: 22/3/18
Faxed: 27/03/18
swilso
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Mar 2018, 2:56 pm

Applied for PTA: 01/3/18
Approved: 19/3/18
Told it will be Faxed to dealer on or about 30/03/18

Tip for young players, direct from Weapons Licensing - next time don't put the serial number on the application, it only slows down the processing.
Member-Deleted

Post by Angel » 04 Apr 2018, 10:21 am

They are out to 12 weeks now... Applying for my CAT H.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tillaan » 05 Apr 2018, 12:30 pm

Applied for Cat H 20/3/18 (Already have AB)
Will update when I hear something hopefully in next 3 months...
Tillaan
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Jdt96 » 16 Apr 2018, 12:34 pm

Applied for my pta at the start of this month. I heard one of the guys at my local gun shop saying that the wait for a PTA is 6 weeks!!! When I see people here waiting a 3 or so weeks for last month
Jdt96
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wjw » 16 Apr 2018, 3:40 pm

Finally!!
applied my ab licesen and PTA on 26/01/2018
ID check on 20/03/2018
Received approval email of license on 16/04/2018

Still waiting for the PTA.

————————
Update on 17/04/2018:

PTA has been approved after received Licence approval email 2hr.
wjw
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by daninjt » 19 Apr 2018, 10:36 am

wjw wrote:Finally!!
ID check on 20/03/2018

————————
Update on 17/04/2018:

How did they reach out to you for your ID check? I submitted my Licence Application 14 days after you but haven't heard anything from them since.
daninjt
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 19 Apr 2018, 7:49 pm

daninjt wrote:
wjw wrote:Finally!!
ID check on 20/03/2018

————————
Update on 17/04/2018:

How did they reach out to you for your ID check? I submitted my Licence Application 14 days after you but haven't heard anything from them since.

Don't panic mate they'll send ya an email :thumbsup: :drinks:
I know a couple of people recently who waited 13 weeks to get an id check then got there license approval within 24 hours of submitting it. Unfortunately it's a bit of a lottery. :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 19 Apr 2018, 8:06 pm

i spoke to the blokes at my local GS and he said weapons licensing is so busy they cant even ring on wednesdays theres been over 14,500 PTA just this year so its just a waiting game as they are extremely busy
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 22 Apr 2018, 7:09 pm

I submitted my (late) renewal application on 11Feb and am waiting, waiting, waiting :cry: :cry: :cry:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Angel » 25 Apr 2018, 12:22 pm

CAT H application lodged on 25.04.2018.

Let's see how long it takes. :D
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimmyJames » 25 Apr 2018, 12:33 pm

New member here!

CAT AB application lodged 24/04/18.
PTA lodged 26/04/18.

Hopefully it wont take to long :D
Last edited by JimmyJames on 26 Apr 2018, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyJames
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SHEFFO » 25 Apr 2018, 2:17 pm

Submitted PTA 06/04/18 Still waiting for approval 25/04/18.
Rossi Puma .22 [] Rem 7615 .223 [] Rem 700 .308 [] Chiappa 1892 44RM [] Pardus LAX [] Springfield 1903A3 30-06
SHEFFO
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Apr 2018, 3:17 pm

nightforcenxs wrote:i spoke to the blokes at my local GS and he said weapons licensing is so busy they cant even ring on wednesdays theres been over 14,500 PTA just this year so its just a waiting game as they are extremely busy

Does the PTA actually fulfil a useful purpose other than makework? Surely having jumped through all the hoops and checks to obtain a licence in the first place (firearm safety course, criminal history checks, club membership, ID checks, 2 x references and minimum annual participation in the case of Cat H licence) I have already been judged trustworthy enough to acquire a weapon of the licence class I hold. Why do I need a further layer of "permission"? . If I'm buying from a dealer, the PTA I submit just lists the dealer's licence number and the action type and calibre I want. I don't have to specify a make or serial number (WL actually told me not to list the serial number because it slows the processing time).. It's only after I buy it and walk out the door with my new firearm that the dealer sends in the paper work to WL telling them what I actually now own with make model and serial number. Why not cut out the PTA step altogether? Whether you buy from a dealer or the private exchange is brokered through the dealer, the dealer sights your licence. It should just be a case of the dealer submitting a form saying this is what this licensed person has now acquired, add it to their record. That way the State still knows who I am, where I live, what firearms I own and where I store them. The dealer is not going to sell you something that's outside your licence categories if they want to keep their licence. The PTA just looks like the answer to a question no-one was asking.
Member-Deleted

Post by Diizane » 25 Apr 2018, 4:00 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
nightforcenxs wrote:i spoke to the blokes at my local GS and he said weapons licensing is so busy they cant even ring on wednesdays theres been over 14,500 PTA just this year so its just a waiting game as they are extremely busy

Does the PTA actually fulfil a useful purpose other than makework? Surely having jumped through all the hoops and checks to obtain a licence in the first place (firearm safety course, criminal history checks, club membership, ID checks, 2 x references and minimum annual participation in the case of Cat H licence) I have already been judged trustworthy enough to acquire a weapon of the licence class I hold. Why do I need a further layer of "permission"? . If I'm buying from a dealer, the PTA I submit just lists the dealer's licence number and the action type and calibre I want. I don't have to specify a make or serial number (WL actually told me not to list the serial number because it slows the processing time).. It's only after I buy it and walk out the door with my new firearm that the dealer sends in the paper work to WL telling them what I actually now own with make model and serial number. Why not cut out the PTA step altogether? Whether you buy from a dealer or the private exchange is brokered through the dealer, the dealer sights your licence. It should just be a case of the dealer submitting a form saying this is what this licensed person has now acquired, add it to their record. That way the State still knows who I am, where I live, what firearms I own and where I store them. The dealer is not going to sell you something that's outside your licence categories if they want to keep their licence. The PTA just looks like the answer to a question no-one was asking.

The government makes money by it, therefore it probably won't go anywhere.
Diizane
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tyler89797 » 28 Apr 2018, 3:02 pm

PTA Application: 26/04/18
PTA Approval: 28/04/18

Fasted one yet
Tyler89797
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimmyJames » 28 Apr 2018, 7:38 pm

Anyone know what the current License waiting times are?

Cheers
JimmyJames
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Angel » 29 Apr 2018, 10:54 am

JimmyJames wrote:Anyone know what the current License waiting times are?

Cheers

About 12 weeks mate.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 09 May 2018, 8:13 pm

Well I applied for a category A yesterday let’s see if I get approval in 2 days as well. I won’t be holding my breath though
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimmyJames » 09 May 2018, 9:28 pm

anyone know if there is a way you can speed up your application?
JimmyJames
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 09 May 2018, 9:59 pm

JimmyJames wrote:anyone know if there is a way you can speed up your application?

No there isn't :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by spartan71 » 09 May 2018, 10:38 pm

My wife's Cat H was 14 days from application to arrival in letter box.
spartan71
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by wjw » 17 May 2018, 5:03 pm

PTA Applied on 30/4
Approved on 17/5
wjw
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Miniaction » 17 May 2018, 8:53 pm

PTA 15 May approved 17 May (and for the death machine adler itself)
Pretty happy with that considering my last one in Feb took nearly a month.
Miniaction
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Angel » 18 May 2018, 1:01 pm

Miniaction wrote:PTA 15 May approved 17 May (and for the death machine adler itself)
Pretty happy with that considering my last one in Feb took nearly a month.

Yeah watch out for those fully automatic mass killing death machine thingies... Lol.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Joeseb87 » 18 May 2018, 7:01 pm

And here people are waiting that applied before that, then people get them approved in 2 days, so much for been processed in order of receipt
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Queensland gun laws