To many of the same caliber WA

Questions about Western Australian gun and ammunition laws. W.A. Firearms Act 1973.

To many of the same caliber WA

Post by MeccaOz » 25 Jul 2014, 10:53 pm

OK so in WA we are getting kicked for having too many guns of the same or similar caliber, like if you have 2 22's they may not license a 3rd. BUT on the flip side we cant sell a gun of one caliber and have another gun of the same caliber added to our license because in their words " A gun of the same caliber may not necessary be up to the task, you originally had it licensed for" ( well loosely based on those words) . So I'm lost, how can they say no to having more than one of a caliber or no to similar calibers, but then flip and say no to licensing different firearms of same or similar calibers because they are the same ??? Make sense anyone ?? Any lawyers in the house that can explain this legalesse ??
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: To many of the same caliber WA

Post by S.W.A.T. » 26 Jul 2014, 5:06 am

To my understanding, you should be to provide a good enough reason for a third firearm of the same calibre. Logic says if a specific calibre under perform for a specific purpose, a higher calibre is likely to be more suited. For example, if you originally apply for a .22lr licence as intended and found out it was not suitable for the intended purpose then .17 would be more appropriate. In your case, owning one .22lr rimfire firearm is not enough. Owning 2 firearms of the same calibre should suffice for the intended purpose. One of the requirements of obtaining the firearms licence, the licence holder should be mentally fit, sound and able to justify the use of their firearms. If you choose to go down a path of owning a collection of .22lr firearms as a collector, then you may struggle to find reasons as they are rendered inoperable.
S.W.A.T.
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 26 Jul 2014, 8:51 am

Can you collect fire arms I have 5 different 22s and I most likely won't shoot the one that means the most.
I have a 22 that was a ww2 sniper trainer my father in law gave me the thing is a peace of art they just don't make a 22like this no more.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Combat_Wombat » 26 Jul 2014, 10:41 am

You can have 3 rifles of the same calibre with different purposes though. I know a bloke with a target rifle, pump action and a everyday hunting bot action all in .308. I think that's perfectly justifiable
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by huccl » 26 Jul 2014, 11:43 am

wrenchman wrote:Can you collect fire arms I have 5 different 22s and I most likely won't shoot the one that means the most.
I have a 22 that was a ww2 sniper trainer my father in law gave me the thing is a peace of art they just don't make a 22like this no more.

Yes (and a little no)

We can have multiple firearms. There are collectors license too for older stuff.

WA is one of the worst states in Australia for their gun laws. This argument of "too many guns of the same calibre" comes up now and then, but almost certain there is no limit specified in any of our firearms legislation.

It basically boils down to someone at the firearms registry deciding for there own reasons that's one too many. I know blokes have fought for the extras and got them, but we obviously shouldn't have to. Just more crap piled on law abiding shooters here for no good reason.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MrClark » 09 Aug 2014, 5:21 pm

When I put in for my .338WM they came back and said "you can have it but you'll have to sell the .30-06" haha in my opinion the two are nothing alike apart from trajectory. Wrote them a 2 page justification on the energy levels required at extended ranges and requirements for different creatures and finally got it. Nothing but a pain in the butt.
I really hope Export isn't actually Exported, mighty embarrassing for WA, hahaha I'll still drink it though
MrClark
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Westy » 10 Aug 2014, 9:18 am

Theres no I^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ in TEAM

But there is a ME !!!!LOL :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by nords » 11 Aug 2014, 2:47 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:I think that's perfectly justifiable

Unfortunately you're not the one we need to convince :(
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Vati » 11 Aug 2014, 2:47 pm

MrClark wrote:Nothing but a pain in the butt.

All designed to make it too difficult for you.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Matt90 » 18 May 2017, 9:37 pm

I'm in the same boat I'm getting my first rifle and couldn't decide between a bolt action or lever action went with a cz 452 in 22lr but down the track I would like to get a browning bl22 for plinking and target shooting while the bolt action will be used for hunting small game how would I justify that?
Matt90
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 19 May 2017, 7:43 am

Get the lever for hunting and then the bolt for target.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by knowsnothin » 19 May 2017, 7:47 am

i think you should be good for 2 of the same if you are using hunting / recreation as your reason. check with your LGS.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 19 May 2017, 1:35 pm

Leaving WA and coming to the ACT was like going to heaven - want a permit - ask for it.

I collected 8 class A permits today for various Brno and CZ rifles - mostly .22lr with a leavening of .17 HMR. And they cost $36 each.

Firearms wise, WA is like North Korea.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Matt90 » 19 May 2017, 7:24 pm

Just applied for my original firearms license today and it was a non refundable $275 fee wa is a f***ing joke thinking about moving to America
Matt90
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Peeds13 » 19 May 2017, 10:06 pm

North Koreas probably cheaper.
$178 for additionals aswell. Definitely worth buying 2-3 guns at a time just to save on licensing fees
Peeds13
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Sawyers » 25 May 2017, 12:52 am

Matt90 wrote:I'm in the same boat I'm getting my first rifle and couldn't decide between a bolt action or lever action went with a cz 452 in 22lr but down the track I would like to get a browning bl22 for plinking and target shooting while the bolt action will be used for hunting small game how would I justify that?

That easy to get around, 1 firearm is fitted with a scope for shots out to 100m while the other has an open site for the quik and affective use at close range.
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 25 May 2017, 11:33 am

Oh dear Lord. I'm so sorry you all have such foolishness to deal with. I've got more than 30 rimfires and why so many? they breed in the darkness of the safe.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Peeds13 » 25 May 2017, 9:21 pm

Lol that's the way it should be, WA the true nanny state
Peeds13
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Thom318 » 26 May 2017, 9:04 pm

Do I understand right that 'too many of the same calibre' in WA can mean that if you have a .22LR and a .22 mag, or even a .17HMR, you'll probably have to fight to get a .22 centrefire?
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 26 May 2017, 9:17 pm

No it means if you have 2 x.243 bolt action rifles and want another similar eyebrows will go up as you could start handing them out and have a small army in the same chambering.If you wish for a lever gun that is different.I got a second .243 because I said I needed a spare for roo shooting.You need 13 golf clubs 13 fishing rods and 13 firearms.If you are after a different chambering that performs very similar to what you already have you may have to dispose of the other before they allow you to take possesion.like 308 and 30/06.its mainly in the medium centre fire rifles range.rimfires are not an issue
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Thom318 » 26 May 2017, 9:35 pm

Thanks mate, that'll settle an argument between me and a mate. But will probably cause a few arguments with my wallet, and the minister of war and finance, I feel I may need to order a larger safe haha
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 26 May 2017, 9:57 pm

So it begins
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia