The latest from Weapons Licensing QLD

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

The latest from Weapons Licensing QLD

Post by benn1124 » 08 Aug 2014, 7:09 pm

QPS WEAPONS LICENSING UPDATE

CURRENT PROCESSING TIMES, PROCESSING ISSUES AND STRATEGIES TO REDUCE WAITING TIMES FOR APPLICATIONS

Current Processing Times

Weapons Licensing is working efficiently and promptly to process your firearms licence application. Applications are being processed in order of receipt and will be determined as soon as practicable after any mandatory waiting periods as required by legislation. The time taken to collate, record, assess and finalise applications is dependent on a number of factors. These factors can include the number of applications received each day, the complexity of the applications, the completeness of the application and the accuracy of information within the supporting documents.
The take up rate for the new online weapons applications (WAO) has exceeded expectations with over 82000 applications received to date. As at 1 July 2014, Weapons Licensing was processing the majority of on-line PTA applications (apart from a licensee’s initial PTA for which there is a mandated 28 day waiting period) within five days; and the majority of complete on-line New Licence applications within 12 weeks of receipt (including the 28 day mandated waiting period). Renewal applications are being processed within the legislated timeframe.

Current Processing Issues
There has been a significant increase in applications received since WAO in November 2012. Trending after the first eighteen months has seen a 36.5% increase in new licence applications and a 46% increase in PTA applications received in relation to the previous corresponding period.
Weapons Licensing is currently receiving 27% of applications incomplete without the required supporting documentation, leading to the need for Weapons Licensing to contact the client to request the documentation prior to completion of the application and further follow up activity. This delays the assessment of other applications and impacts on processing times.

Recent Strategies to reduce waiting times and results
In addition to WAO, Weapons Licensing has implemented a number of recent strategies to reduce waiting times for applications including:
• Additional temporary staff allocated to the New Licence and Permit Section;
• Overtime funding;
• A review of internal processes by a business consultant and implementation of those recommendations;
• The implementation of 18 red tape proposals including changes to legislation, policy and procedure;
• The review of forms to make them more user friendly and advise of requirements.

These strategies have seen a significant increase in processing output in 2013 compared to 2012, specifically a 113% increase in new applications output, a 29% increase in permit to acquire output and a 46.5% increase in renewal applications output. This significant increase in processing output has continued in 2014 over and above the 2013 increase.

Future strategies to reduce processing times

Weapons Licensing has forwarded further legislative proposals for the consideration of the Minister and Ministerial Advisory Panel including a further 17 red tape proposals.

The QPS is also working with the Panel to implement a number of strategies to improve processing capability that can be implemented in the short to medium term without an IT solution:

• Encouraging applicants to attend clubs and dealers for assistance when applying for a firearms licence. Club and dealers are encouraged to assist members to use the online system, ensure they have the required documentation and assist members where possible to scan and upload the required documentation. This will reduce the current number of incomplete applications (27%) requiring follow up and monitoring. Weapons Licensing conducted state-wide education and engagement workshops in Jan 2014.

• Triaging applications early to ensure that applicants whose applications may be incomplete are contacted as soon as possible to supply additional information required.

• The development of key messages for applicants lodging new applications, renewals and permits. A review of the WL Website, WAO site and hard copy forms will also be undertaken to reduce the number of incomplete applications and Weapons Licensing follow up activity.

• IT solutions to send out renewal reminders to members with email accounts in place of the paper courtesy renewal packs. This strategy has commenced as of 2nd July 2014.

Weapons Licensing is also working with the Panel to scope further enhancements of the Weapons Licensing Management System, including further online functionality.

Contact Officer:
Inspector Craig Rolls
Weapons Licensing
1 July 2014

This was off their website, if it's true hopefully things should speed up a little.
Walther century .177 CZ 452 .17HMR
.22LR puma .22LR Browning BL22
.223 tikka 30/30 marlin
.308 tikka
benn1124
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Has anyone seen the latest from weapons App

Post by 5Tom » 10 Aug 2014, 10:19 pm

Looks good.

I recently renewed my licence in May and the officer told me that it doesn't matter how early I wanted to renew it, it will only be looked at on the date of my birthday (28 June).

After my birthday been and gone, it only took a week or two for my renewal to be processed and delivered.

Thankfully for me, I only ever had to wait for a PTA within two weeks.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by brisb » 11 Aug 2014, 3:45 pm

Weapons Licensing is working efficiently and promptly...

*cough* *cough*
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Supporter » 11 Aug 2014, 3:46 pm

:lol:

Is someone a little sceptical?
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brisb » 11 Aug 2014, 3:46 pm

They say the best indicator of future behaviour is past behaviour so...
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: The latest from Weapons Licensing QLD

Post by Usurper » 12 Aug 2014, 8:42 am

I try to be an optimist so lets hope they deliver.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 12 Aug 2014, 8:44 am

Fingers crossed, but just about this one part...

In addition to WAO, Weapons Licensing has implemented a number of recent strategies to reduce waiting times for applications including:
• The implementation of 18 red tape proposals including changes to legislation, policy and procedure;

Do I read that right... to reduce waiting times they've added 18 more layers of red tape... *confused* :? :lol:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Khan » 12 Aug 2014, 8:45 am

Sounds like Government thinking to me :lol:
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Mattj82 » 12 Aug 2014, 3:35 pm

"New Licence applications within 12 weeks of receipt (including the 28 day mandated waiting period)" This is efficient? Taking the 4 week waiting period out, that still means that an application is taking 8 weeks to process! Are they growing the trees to make the paper? When I lived in Victoria the license came in around 5 weeks from the application, including the waiting period.

WA now has a "user pays" system, which in theory I have absolutely no problem with (we can discuss the outrageous amount that we pay later, $170 odd for a subsequent license!) but if I'm paying I expect service. If they were in private enterprise they would have gone broke years ago!

The part I really love is a husband and wife at my club recently applied for a license for each to buy a shotgun. Same club, same firearm, same address, same paperwork. He, who has a criminal record (being stupid when he was young) is approved, she is not... Just makes me want to scream.

"To err is human, to really foul things up take a government!"

Matt
Mattj82
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by benn1124 » 12 Aug 2014, 4:21 pm

we can only hope it helps so long as they don't get worse then everything else is a plus right ?
Walther century .177 CZ 452 .17HMR
.22LR puma .22LR Browning BL22
.223 tikka 30/30 marlin
.308 tikka
benn1124
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 13 Aug 2014, 7:19 am

16 weeks and still waiting (transfer from interstate).
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Westy » 13 Aug 2014, 7:25 am

PTA lodged on Monday the 11/8/2014 lets see how long this baby takes????
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by brisb » 13 Aug 2014, 8:59 am

Fingers crossed. Keep us posted.
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Howa bout it » 02 Jul 2017, 9:23 pm

First things first I am a newbie. Secondly I have unknowingly duplicated another members username for which I am terribly sorry and hope to change once I learn how to work my computer correctly. This thread is an old one but seems like as good a place as any for me to kick off.

So, finally lodged my license application in March and received my hard copy license in the mail (a few days after an email notification) exactly 13 weeks after initial submission. This process seems quite random as my brother who lodged 10 days before me received his 2 weeks after mine. Only difference in our applications was that he had purchased and submitted PTA's for 2 rifles, a .243 and a .22LR, using his case reference to do so. Came to the conclusion that this was the hold up.

His method was actally still quicker as I had to serve the full 28 day PTA wait once I received my ha copy and went shopping.

My PTA seems on track for 28 days though as they sent an acknowledgement after 2 weeks. I guess only time will tell how long after 28 days I can collect my new bang stick. Howa 1500 stainless walnut stock in .223
Howa bout it
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Aster » 03 Jul 2017, 6:18 pm

Howa bout it wrote:Secondly I have unknowingly duplicated another members username for which I am terribly sorry and hope to change once I learn how to work my computer correctly.

I can change it for you mate, just let me know what you want it to be and I'll sort it out.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Howa bout it » 03 Jul 2017, 7:11 pm

Thanks Aster thatd be great. Dont wanna step on any toes. Lets go with "Snotgun", if available of course.

Cheers
Howa bout it
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Jul 2017, 11:02 pm

I don't care about the few that aren't happy,
I have had nothing but good and prompt service from them, with PTAs
Some have been unbelievably quick.

The same goes for times when I have rang them for information, or advice. Pleasant and helpful responses, and that goes a long way in my books.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 04 Jul 2017, 6:56 am

Die Judicii wrote:I don't care about the few that aren't happy,
I have had nothing but good and prompt service from them, with PTAs
Some have been unbelievably quick.

The same goes for times when I have rang them for information, or advice. Pleasant and helpful responses, and that goes a long way in my books.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yeah gotta agree with ya. They've improved outta sight since this thread was started. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 04 Jul 2017, 8:29 am

I have never had an issue. Perhaps those that have ring up being rude, and get the same in return
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marneth » 03 Jun 2018, 11:10 am

Does anyone know if a PTA has an expirey time. I bought a rifle on line while it was on special and applied for a PTA at the same time. The next day I get an order update saying that my rifle is on backorder. I don't know how long it will take to get here. Not looking for any hassles from Weapons Licensing QLD.
marneth
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bronco93 » 04 Jun 2018, 11:15 pm

marneth wrote:Does anyone know if a PTA has an expirey time. I bought a rifle on line while it was on special and applied for a PTA at the same time. The next day I get an order update saying that my rifle is on backorder. I don't know how long it will take to get here. Not looking for any hassles from Weapons Licensing QLD.

6 months from the date of issue
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 05 Jun 2018, 6:47 am

bronco93 wrote:
marneth wrote:Does anyone know if a PTA has an expirey time. I bought a rifle on line while it was on special and applied for a PTA at the same time. The next day I get an order update saying that my rifle is on backorder. I don't know how long it will take to get here. Not looking for any hassles from Weapons Licensing QLD.

6 months from the date of issue

Did they end up extending it to 12 months???
I remember reading somewhere they were going to but never heard anything more about it. :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by TheDude » 05 Jun 2018, 7:45 am

A couple of years back they extended from 3 to 6 months. Hadn’t heard anything about another extension.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by tofu » 05 Jun 2018, 11:48 am

TheDude wrote:A couple of years back they extended from 3 to 6 months. Hadn’t heard anything about another extension.

odd, i checked with a gun shop in qld not long ago and they said 12 months...looking at the police web site, it says:

If I have made an application for a Permit to Acquire since I acquired a weapons licence and have never used it, can I use the application at any stage?

Yes, an application for a Permit to Acquire never expires. However, once the Permit to Acquire is issued, it is only valid for a term of not more than 3 months as stated on the issued Permit to Acquire.
tofu
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bronco93 » 05 Jun 2018, 4:06 pm

I have some pta's that havent used yet. They have 6 month expiry from date of issue. Got them a couple of months ago.
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 10 Jun 2018, 10:51 am

I know a really good way for them to become more efficient, get rid of the requirement to register firearms and PTA's, getting a shooters licensed or renewal would be much quicker.
Member-Deleted

Return to Queensland gun laws