QLD Weapons Licensing Questions

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

QLD Weapons Licensing Questions

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 19 Aug 2014, 8:30 am

Hey guys. I put my Tikka T3 Varmint in .223 Rem on layby a few months ago thinking that it wouldn't take long to pick it up with my license... Man was I wrong. This is the 10th week of waiting now, and they still haven't even STARTED to process it... QWL also refuses to tell me what date they are up to, but 2 weeks ago, I spoke to a cop on the phone at QWL and she told me that "there were only a few people left in the queue ahead of me"... Can they even legit see that?

Anyone have any ideas on how long it will still take? I put my application in at the start of June, just in case you're wondering.

Any helpful responses would be appreciated :)
Attachments
10592305_10204468540622523_214924880_n.jpg
My Tikka T3 Varmint in .223 Rem
10592305_10204468540622523_214924880_n.jpg (34.25 KiB) Viewed 7633 times
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: QLD Weapons Licensing Questions

Post by benn1124 » 19 Aug 2014, 5:18 pm

Hey,

I submitted my application on the 31st of may and just got a reply email yesterday about going to do my ID check, I have a friend that did his 2 days after me and he is still to hear anything, they are around the 12 week mark took 11 weeks and 2 days for me.

If your only at 10 weeks id expect to wait another 1-2 weeks to get a response about your id check then another 2 or so weeks after that for the licence to arrive in the mail and then its just waiting for the pta to arrive normally about another 1-2 weeks after u get your licence

That's unless u ring them and ask kindly if they can fax your pta straight to the gun shop theylkl either get pissed and say no or get annoyed and do it for u hard to say could allways spin a story that the place your gun is at really wants it picked up and needs it done asap may work, thats what im gonna try.
Walther century .177 CZ 452 .17HMR
.22LR puma .22LR Browning BL22
.223 tikka 30/30 marlin
.308 tikka
benn1124
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Monty » 20 Aug 2014, 8:44 am

Check out this topic TikkaT3.223, lots of feedback from guys on their waits and some recent submissions.

QLD weapons licencing waits
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 20 Aug 2014, 8:45 am

Ah fair enough haha.

I called the pta division yesterday and they told me that they will send out my pta at the same time as my license so I get them both at the same time. Hopefully they do it. :/

My gunsmith is getting pretty pissed too cuz ive had the gun on layby since april and theyre only supposed to keep them for 3 months :/

So another month or so you recon?
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Usurper » 20 Aug 2014, 8:46 am

Full of fellow frustrated QLD shooters :lol:
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Atter » 20 Aug 2014, 8:47 am

TikkaT3.223 wrote:My gunsmith is getting pretty pissed too cuz ive had the gun on layby since april and theyre only supposed to keep them for 3 months :/

Oh well, that's not your fault is it.

I'm quite sure they're used to long waits with people getting their licenses. You'd hardly be the first.
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by portph » 20 Aug 2014, 8:47 am

Yeah, if you've paid your deposit and your license is coming tell them to stop their whining, they're getting a sale :lol:
Tikka T3 Lite in 300 Win Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter in 243 Winchester
portph
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 20 Aug 2014, 9:03 am

Yeah I just read it all. What a pain aye :(

Is there anything at ALL I could do to speed up the process?
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Westy » 20 Aug 2014, 7:57 pm

If you believe in God ,start Praying!!!! :lol: :D :lol: and tell the gunsmith to get a grip.

I had 1 in a LGS safe for over a year and he was A.O.K with that.

I think it cost me a Carton in the end, we were waiting for parts :x :o :x and don't pay the prick it'll only start a trend!

Ohh and by the way that's a nice looking Rifle Bro!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Blu333 » 20 Aug 2014, 9:21 pm

Approx 12-14 Weeks is standard has been for a while now for a licence, first PTA can be a lottery but expect you next PTA's anywhere from 5 -10 business days. Ringing them up and abusing them only puts you to the back of the cue LOL. Just learn to plan a little bit ahead when purchasing your next rifle. I was looking to purchase a 7600P in QGE's sale last weekend so about 1.5 weeks prior I put in a PTA for one and lo and behold it turned up just in time.
12G Pardus LAX12 Marine 20"
12G Adler A110
12G Winchester 101 O/U
.308 Rem 7600P - Leupold Vx1 3-9x40mm
.308 Rem 700 VSFII - Nightforce 8-32x56mm
.223 Tikka Super Varmint - Leupold VX2 6-18x40mm
.22LR CZ 455 Bushnell 4-12
.22 Winchester Air Rifle
Blu333
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by brisb » 21 Aug 2014, 10:08 am

TikkaT3.223 wrote:Is there anything at ALL I could do to speed up the process?

No mate.

They typically don't respond well to calls following it up either :(
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 21 Aug 2014, 11:37 am

Cheers Westy haha :)

Ok thanks guys. Thats a shame :/

Does it REALLY set you back when you call them up?
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blu333 » 21 Aug 2014, 12:45 pm

I don't think it does, it just seems that way sometimes the way they bark at you! :lol:
12G Pardus LAX12 Marine 20"
12G Adler A110
12G Winchester 101 O/U
.308 Rem 7600P - Leupold Vx1 3-9x40mm
.308 Rem 700 VSFII - Nightforce 8-32x56mm
.223 Tikka Super Varmint - Leupold VX2 6-18x40mm
.22LR CZ 455 Bushnell 4-12
.22 Winchester Air Rifle
Blu333
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 21 Aug 2014, 12:58 pm

Yeah, thats agreeable haha.

I called the PTA office the other day and they told em that they would send out my pta WITH my license so it arrives at the same time.. will they actually do that or nah?
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by benn1124 » 21 Aug 2014, 5:09 pm

I will have to try look into this make sure I get my gun before the next trip.

I called a couple times prior to the 12 week mark didn't seem to make much difference. It's just like any government department, just be polite and it shouldn't affect anything.

I found the couple times I did ring also they were very help full and very polite.
Walther century .177 CZ 452 .17HMR
.22LR puma .22LR Browning BL22
.223 tikka 30/30 marlin
.308 tikka
benn1124
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Supporter » 25 Aug 2014, 7:11 pm

Maybe you have the number to the special bat phone there or something :lol:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stoney » 09 Jan 2018, 9:04 pm

Last edited by Stoney on 10 Jan 2018, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Cryptic » 09 Jan 2018, 10:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: 12 weeks..... I waited 6 months to get my AB approved. Had my H approved in 2 days of application while still waiting on the AB
Cryptic
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sus_scrofa » 10 Jan 2018, 6:29 am

Stoney wrote:If I worked in the QLD Weapons Licensing Branch and every time an arsehole self-intitled moron rang up and abused me for not giving them their instant gratification, I would pick up their application and put it at the bottom of the pile. How much do you reckon this happens? Hahahahahahha. Australians act like children in 2018. Back in the day you would shut your f**king mouth and wait.

+1

Don't they say a minimum of 12weeks on the application? So that's 3 months. I got mine in 4 months with patience I never rang or hassled them and that was 8 years ago. I find it funny people ring and take up weapons licensing time and wonder why things take time.
Sus_scrofa
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 10 Jan 2018, 4:59 pm

Sus_scrofa wrote:
Stoney wrote:If I worked in the QLD Weapons Licensing Branch and every time an arsehole self-intitled moron rang up and abused me for not giving them their instant gratification, I would pick up their application and put it at the bottom of the pile. How much do you reckon this happens? Hahahahahahha. Australians act like children in 2018. Back in the day you would shut your f**king mouth and wait.

+1

Don't they say a minimum of 12weeks on the application? So that's 3 months. I got mine in 4 months with patience I never rang or hassled them and that was 8 years ago. I find it funny people ring and take up weapons licensing time and wonder why things take time.

I was a bit rough with my words there and I am not pointing my finger at anyone at all on this forum. What I was trying to say is just be patient, it will come. Imagine if the Police gave someone a licence straight away and they hurt someone. Everyone would be carrying on about how the police didn't do proper checks. The poor buggers can't win.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Townsville shooter » 10 Jan 2018, 5:43 pm

I agree and disagree.

Patience is a virtue not too many people have these days in a world of instant gratification. Everything takes time and will be ready when it's ready...

But.

12 week minimum to process an application is a joke.

These employees of the government probably have a direct line to databases to perform the required checks. So let's say an application lands on a desk and takes 10 minutes to check your history/offences/etc, then another 10 minutes to complete the application. Remember they probably do this everyday so I doubt it would take longer.

That's 20 minutes. 8 hour day, allow for stoppages and you're looking at approx 18 applications per employee. Let's say there is around 5 employees processing them, that's 90 applications per day.

Why the excessive wait times in 2018.

PS - I used to work for the QLD government in an area that processed applications.
Townsville shooter
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 10 Jan 2018, 6:06 pm

Townsville shooter wrote:I agree and disagree.

Patience is a virtue not too many people have these days in a world of instant gratification. Everything takes time and will be ready when it's ready...

But.

12 week minimum to process an application is a joke.

These employees of the government probably have a direct line to databases to perform the required checks. So let's say an application lands on a desk and takes 10 minutes to check your history/offences/etc, then another 10 minutes to complete the application. Remember they probably do this everyday so I doubt it would take longer.

That's 20 minutes. 8 hour day, allow for stoppages and you're looking at approx 18 applications per employee. Let's say there is around 5 employees processing them, that's 90 applications per day.

Why the excessive wait times in 2018.

PS - I used to work for the QLD government in an area that processed applications.

Believe it or not twelve weeks is a big improvement!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: QLD Weapons Licensing Question

Post by Joeseb87 » 11 Jan 2018, 4:55 pm

I have contacted them for 2 things within the last twelve months and all I was told was it will be atleast another 2 weeks to be finalised and on both occasions it was finialised pretty quick on was the next day and the other 3 days later I have come to the conclusion that that's their generic answer it will be at least 2 weeks don't ring back before 3 weeks time.
Joeseb87
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Queensland gun laws