Public nuisance charge and firearms license application

Questions about Queensland gun and ammunition laws. QLD Weapons Act 1990.

Public nuisance charge and firearms license application

Post by kworse » 24 Aug 2014, 12:14 pm

Hi guys,

I live in Queensland, 6 years ago i was given a notice to appear in court for public nuisance and contravene requirement to my knowledge I received a fine and no conviction recorded.

Will this affect me getting a cat a + b licence?

Do I disclose this when applying for the licence, is it even worth applying?
kworse
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Public nuisance

Post by Westy » 24 Aug 2014, 2:11 pm

Apply apply Apply the search only goes back 5 years and mention it as they will find it and ask for a please explain if you don't!!!! you'll be right to go .
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 24 Aug 2014, 2:58 pm

I would have thought that if there is no conviction, there is no record??? firearm app is mostly concerned with convictions, intervention orders and the likes. Have a read of the application form, if it doesnt ask, dont tell!

See, 2 replies, 2 differing opinions, gotta love the interwebs.....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2014, 3:05 pm

Go for it - just be honest in your application and you should be fine, start leaving stuff like this out and they will start to question your application.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by 0423socket » 24 Aug 2014, 3:52 pm

Still state it in your application. I had the same thing and didnt put it forward on my application after a letter of why it wasnt mentioned and a hearty plea to still give me a licence, it held my process up about 2 weeks. Even though there is no conviction recorded you should put it on there anyway.
0423socket
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Usurper » 25 Aug 2014, 11:37 am

If you're happy to say, what was the behaviour that deemed you to be a 'nuisance'?

Did it end in a punch up or anything?
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 25 Aug 2014, 11:39 am

Shouldn't matter mate.

Some info for you from QLD Police.

The Applicant

• Are a fit and proper person
  • Have not, within the past five years, been convicted of a disqualifying offence including misuse of drugs, misuse of weapons, the use or threatened use of violence, or been the subject of a domestic violence protection order

Fit and Proper

Generally a person is not ”fit and proper” if, in Queensland or elsewhere:

The person has been convicted of or discharged from custody on sentence, within five (5) years immediately before the day the person applies for the issue or renewal of the licence, an offence relating or involving the following:
i) the misuse of drugs
ii) the use or threatened use of violence
iii) the use, carriage, discharge or possession of a weapon

or

A domestic violence order, other than a temporary protection order, has been made against the person within five (5) years immediately before the day the person applies for the issue or renewal of the licence.

When you apply for your license one of the questions is "(b) Have you in Queensland or elsewhere ever been charged with any offence? (Please tick yes even if you were charged but not convicted or a conviction was not recorded)."

You need to tell them the truth here of course, but a) you were not convicted and b) even if you had been it was longer than 5 years ago.

Should be all good.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 25 Aug 2014, 11:45 am

FYI kworse,

Public nuisance is a summary offence - like getting a speeding ticket - not usually a big deal.

Indictable offences are the serious things like burglary, assault, drug charges etc. These are what would stop someone getting their license.

Answer everything honestly on the form and you'll be fine.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Public nuisance charge and firearms license application

Post by TikkaT3.223 » 25 Aug 2014, 1:34 pm

Would Inictable offences still count if they were on a juvy record and not on the adult record? Because I didnt tick any of the conviction boxes on my application because I was told that after you turn 18, the juvy record is no longer thought of as a rap sheet unless further charges are place as an adult.

Just called weapons licensing and they said that ill be getting a letter within this week, a "correspondence" and I have to fill it out and send it back to them before my license can be processed.. Recons she couldn't tell me what it was about over the phone.

She said "just fill it out and send it back to us and it'll be fine".

Asked a few of my mates that have their licenses and they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Called weapons licensing back and spoke to someone else, and he said that my license is being processed now and being signed off and they just need that document sent back to them and they can continue the process. He wouldn't tell me what it was though. They were both being extremely cagey around that subject. It didn't sound good.. :/

:o

Anybody have any experience with anything like this?
TikkaT3.223
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 25 Aug 2014, 7:34 pm

You're really testing now Tikka...

I think - as you say - the juvenile means nothing after you're 16 (I thought it was 16, not 18 like you said?).

You effectively have a clean record after that age as long as you don't re-offend.

Edit: Found the info on age brackets...

In each Australian jurisdiction, except Queensland, a juvenile is defined as a person aged between 10 and 17 years of age, inclusive. In Queensland, a juvenile is defined as a person aged between 10 and 16 years, inclusive. In all jurisdictions, the minimum age of criminal responsibility is 10 years. That is, children under 10 years of age cannot be held legally responsible for their actions
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 25 Aug 2014, 7:38 pm

TikkaT3.223 wrote:He wouldn't tell me what it was though. They were both being extremely cagey around that subject. It didn't sound good.. :/

Don't stress mate. That's always the way, the people answering the phones are their to do that, not approve permits and licenses so can't tell you things "for certain".

Focus on "just fill it out and send it back to us and it'll be fine" like she said.

Relax ;)

There are heaps of blokes who've had a grey moment in the past or as kids which wasn't too serious and they got there license. It happens... Doesn't mean you're a dangerous criminal does it.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Usurper » 25 Aug 2014, 7:39 pm

You'll be right Tikka.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by kworse » 26 Aug 2014, 9:18 am

Thanks for all the information guys, in the section that asks for me to disclose do i just write the charges or the chargers and the circumstances leading up to them.

Thanks again
Last edited by kworse on 03 Sep 2014, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
kworse
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Norton » 26 Aug 2014, 9:34 am

Doesn't need to be an essay about what happened. They can look up further details I'm sure, just give them enough so they don't need to come back to you again to ask a follow up question and delay your application.

I'd write something like... "On date X I was charged with a public nuisance summary offence. On date X the matter was concluded and conviction was not recorded."

That without knowing the exact details of your incident, any reason you think that wouldn't cover it?

Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by kworse » 26 Aug 2014, 9:40 am

I have no idea what date it was it was relating to me breaking up a fight and stoping someone form kicking my friend in face on my 21st birthday
kworse
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by eeckle » 26 Aug 2014, 2:20 pm

In all jurisdictions, the minimum age of criminal responsibility is 10 years. That is, children under 10 years of age cannot be held legally responsible for their actions

It's good to be a 9 year old :D
eeckle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Norton » 26 Aug 2014, 3:58 pm

kworse wrote:I have no idea what date it was it was relating to me breaking up a fight and stopping someone form kicking my friend in face on my 21st birthday

Give approx dates then. Year, month... Can't have been long before/after your b'day? So it's clear that it's 6 years ago and not last week.

Otherwise same message as above.

The fact you were defending a friend should help also, assuming that was acknowledge by the police.

Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Crankycant » 25 Oct 2018, 7:54 pm

Don't worry about it mate just disclose everything you can, and don't stress. I had a pretty shady juvenile record between 12-15 years much worse things than breaking up a fights luckily I had a really good local copper pull me aside and throw the book at me literally and I grew out of thankfully. That same cop introduced me to shooting and help me get my licence which was a real turning point in my life.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Crankycant » 25 Oct 2018, 7:55 pm

Oops just realised how old this was haha
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Crankycant
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Queensland gun laws